MULIE HUNT UPDATE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

MULIE HUNT UPDATE

Post by paulaboutform »

Well, I got to go on my last minute mule deer hunt after all.
Was going to leave this past Sunday morning but my lovely wife threw her neck out...unfortunately. Now I don't begrudge taking care of my wife as I'd do anything for her but I was a little selfish and just upset at missing another hunt....work,
back out, family emergency, seems something always happens when I'm set to go kill stuff. Thankfully my wife was mobile enough (able to open the muscle relaxant bottle and lay back in bed) and I got to throw my stuff together and go hunt mulies. The good news is I'm going to keep my gear :wink:
off I go. Stuff packed, coffee for the road and three hours later I'm checking in to a little motel in Kamloops waiting for my buddy to finish chores and come get me. Hello's and shoulder slaps out of the way I grab my bow, arrows, and rhinoblock and off we go to check my zero before heading out. It's HOT! Buddy says it'll cool down as soon as the sun starts to dip. Zero is perfect at 37 yards which is just where it happens we put the target. Buddy (Chase) tries his first crossbow and loves it but for now (new daughter) it'll have to wait.
Off we go to check the first field. We walk in slowly, only about fifteen minutes, and hunker down. Chase explains where the deer usually come from and we just wait and see to hopefully get to plan a stalk. A lone doe materializes out of nowhere to our right and busts us as I'm loading my bow. About another half hour passes and the doe is still staring at us as if she's frozen but no other deer moving and Chase thinks it's better to hit another spot. As we're leaving we see a young fawn with the suspicious doe, nice. As we're walking back to the truck we get busted by a 3×2 and a 2×2 just in the tree line. Looking promising.
Spot# 2 looks great but we're losing light quickly and no deer showing so Chase thinks we'd be better off checking some more fields close to his parents house. I'm just commenting that we probably only have a couple minutes of light left as we're rounding a corner and discussing the morning plans when we see three does and a nice little spike buck on the other side of some trees, feeding in field. I bail out and get set and young Chase is beside me calling out "20yards" ???? "Chase, that's more like 40yards, you ranged wrong! " I moved into the trees to get a clear shot and again Chase is beside me calling out, "40yards to the spike." I had my HHA Optimizer set at 33yards which puts me 2" high at 20yards and 2" low at 40yards. Up comes my M380 with my 18" zombie tipped with a 92gr brass insert and 100gr toxic broadhead. The red dot on the ballistic firedot reticle of my Leupold is awesome and WHACK!!! I couldn't see the arrow hit but the smack was the loudest I've ever heard. The deer bucked and ran off to our right and across the road. We find blood immediately and mark the road where we had blood. Neither of us had flashlights. :oops: :oops: We get back to the truck and drive five minutes down the road to his parents house and head straight back with flashlights in tow. Back to the blood trail and about 10-15 yards in there's my first crossbow deer with my matrix. It may not be a trophy but I'm thrilled to take it. Perfect double lung hit and absolutely tender and delicious. I spent more time driving than I did hunting but I won't complain.
We looked for the arrow that night and the next day with no luck. Chase found my pink cock vein blazer but that's it. The arrow broke one rib on either side and is burried somewhere in the field. Awesome trip.....and I get to keep my stuff. :D

¤¤¤ wish I could post some pics of my little buck but I'm not set up for it. Maybe BOO or Normous can put them up if they're so inclined but not a lot to see¤¤¤
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Re: MULIE HUNT UPDATE

Post by Normous »

Here is Paul's Mulie.

EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Normous wrote:Here is Paul's Mulie.

Thanks Norm. ...the backstraps were delicious. Wish you and Patti could've joined us. :wink:
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Congrats Paul!!! Glad you got to go after all and even better you had some success! :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Congrats !! Great story too!!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
turbo

Post by turbo »

Congrats,glad it all worked out,any deer is a good deer
LIVING THE DREAM
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Congrats did you shoot him at 150yds :lol: Just kiddin but you probably could from what I here :shock:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

JPjunkie wrote:Congrats did you shoot him at 150yds :lol: Just kiddin but you probably could from what I here :shock:
Lol. You must be mistaking me for Ironoggin. Thanks though. Shot at 40yards.

P.S.....110yards is my self imposed limit. :shock: just kidding :wink:
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

I here you are very accurate to long distances :D
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the mulie
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on your mulie!!!! :D :D :D
That will be some good eating 8) :wink:
I never thought i would say this but the older i get it's more about the hunt, friends & putting some venison on the table. :D Don't get me wrong i would love to shoot a big buck but it's just not that important anymore. :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

georgiaboy wrote:Congrats on your mulie!!!! :D :D :D
I never thought i would say this but the older i get it's more about the hunt, friends & putting some venison on the table. :D Don't get me wrong i would love to shoot a big buck but it's just not that important anymore. :)
Its not older its more appreciative and wiser for those priceless times I know what you mean Brother :D
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

JPjunkie wrote:
georgiaboy wrote:Congrats on your mulie!!!! :D :D :D
Its not older its more appreciative and wiser for those priceless times I know what you mean Brother :D
Amen!. ...and X3
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats what i am talkin about! Congrats on the walkin meat supply.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315