Bow tag

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

coors

Bow tag

Post by coors »

A friend of mine just bought a crossbow and wants to know if he can still by a tag for this year. I told him I did not know but said I would get him an answer. He lives in Ontario.
Ont_Excal

Re: Bow tag

Post by Ont_Excal »

coors wrote:A friend of mine just bought a crossbow and wants to know if he can still by a tag for this year. I told him I did not know but said I would get him an answer. He lives in Ontario.

Yes but he will only be able to hunt for antlered deer.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
galamb

Post by galamb »

And the season opens in 17 days (WooooooHoooooo), so he better get his tag quickly :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
coors

Post by coors »

Thanks for the info I will let him know
kmaxwell5

Post by kmaxwell5 »

What are your regs for deer in Canada? Just curious.
galamb

Post by galamb »

Ontario is "crossbow friendly" - Deer season opens for bows/crossbows on the 1st of October and essentially runs until December 31st. There is a one or two week gun/shotgun season (depending on the area) in the beginning of November and a one week muzzle loading season the first or second week of December.

You can use your bow/crossbow in any open season but must wear hunter orange during the gun/shotgun season - camo is legal at all other times.

You buy a licence that is good anywhere in the province. That allows you one "antlered" deer. Does, "antlerless" deer tags are awarded by a draw (lottery). You apply, well in advance of the season for a specific "management unit". If you are successful in getting a "doe tag" it is only good in that specific area but you could still use the tag to shoot a buck in "any" area.

Some areas with an abundance of deer have additional tags - regulations are specific to the area (ie. bow only season, does only etc).

Many Canadian provinces either 1) treat crossbows the same as a rifle and only allow them in the gun season 2) only allow them in the archery season for hunters with disabilities 3) don't allow them at all.

I'm glad I live/hunt in Ontario - crossbows are legal here and can be used by "any hunter in just about any season" (there is a couple of special hunts that are very specific) for Turkey, Deer, Bear, Moose, and all manner of small game (less Migratory birds - ducks/geese) :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS