sky rocket

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

youngguns

sky rocket

Post by youngguns »

Sighted in my rage crossbow x 125 gr. Practice tip, then put a hunting tip to assure same point of impact so I would be sure no mistake. Let the thing fly and it opened on take off and took off to parts unknown! I know a lot of you guys and don't approve of this broadhead please no bashing I am already :( :( . So if any of you members could kindly tell me what I need to do so this dosent happen again would be greatly appreciated thank you !!! Youngguns :roll:
A stupid question is a question never asked
8ptbuk

Re: sky rocket

Post by 8ptbuk »

Make sure you use the shock collars that came with them and when you install the collars rotate them so the blades are sitting BETWEEN the slits in the collar . The only way the blades can open is if the collar is broken and that's not going to happen from the bow triggering . Good Luck !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

The biggest and most important question is, will you have confidence in the Rages with any modifications? If you're like me you'll walk away from them.
Confidence is everything! I'm not bashing the Rage broadheads, I am addressing the fact that you just may hesitate on that trigger at the moment of truth.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Boo's right , what I told you will work but if you don't trust'em , find another head .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Get some G5s :D Those Rage things will keep you in a Rage
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
wabi

Post by wabi »

With so many accurate fixed blade heads available I quit using mechanicals.
I had a mechanical fail to open on a deer several years ago and made the switch to fixed blades.
A couple years ago everyone was bragging on Swhacker broadheads, so I tried them. Shot at one deer and killed it with no problems, but it didn't go down any quicker than most of the deer I've shot with my favorite fixed blade heads (Wac'Em Exit 4 blade).
Why take a chance on mechanical failure?

I'd try G5 Montecs (or Strikers for replacable blades) or SlickTricks for proven performers. There are more fixed blades that will do the job, but those mentioned are popular and readily available. (The Wac'Em heads I like can be hard to find blades for, but I've never lost a deer with them so I'll search a bit for blades. :wink: :lol: )
wabi
galamb

Post by galamb »

Did it "fly away" simply as a result of it deploying upon firing or did one of the blades catch the foot stirrup?

I ask because I just went through a situation such as I describe with some NAP BloodRunner II's.

Upon firing they deployed (no keepers in this case - hybrid type head) and because initially I had the blades indexed to the cock feather the lower blade was nicking the stirrup and causing the bolt to head for heaven.

Once I figured out the issue I re-indexed the head so that it sat perpendicular to the cock feather (vane, sorry, will always be a traditional shooter at heart) and they fly totally true out to 35 yards even if they are deploying (temporarily in this case since this is one of those piston/spring loaded hybrid heads).

As a side note, I was testing out the BloodRunner's since I am replacing the Rage's (that I have shot the past two years) due to poor penetration and less than mediocre blood trails - if G5 had of kept the Tekan II's in production I would still be shooting them.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Just get some 125 ramcats 1-1/2 cut an go hunting!
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

wabi wrote:With so many accurate fixed blade heads available I quit using mechanicals.
I had a mechanical fail to open on a deer several years ago and made the switch to fixed blades.
A couple years ago everyone was bragging on Swhacker broadheads, so I tried them. Shot at one deer and killed it with no problems, but it didn't go down any quicker than most of the deer I've shot with my favorite fixed blade heads (Wac'Em Exit 4 blade).

I'd try G5 Montecs (or Strikers for replacable blades) or SlickTricks for proven performers. There are more fixed blades that will do the job, but those mentioned are popular and readily available. (The Wac'Em heads I like can be hard to find blades for, but I've never lost a deer with them so I'll search a bit for blades. :wink: :lol: )
x2 what WABI said. Lots of great fixed blade heads on the market. Find one that works for you a stick with it. Just one less thing to have to worry about. The Muzzy MX3 works really good for me.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

UPSMAN wrote:
wabi wrote:With so many accurate fixed blade heads available I quit using mechanicals.

x2 what WABI said. Lots of great fixed blade heads on the market. Find one that works for you a stick with it. Just one less thing to have to worry about. The Muzzy MX3 works really good for me.
I was checkin out those muzzys you like em ha
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
884savage

Post by 884savage »

If you want to shoot Rage heads, they work amazingly. I shoot them out of my 380. Never personally had one open prematurely. I've put a light band on them to prevent it on my vertical bow. Like stated above, you really need to note where the collar sits. Numerous guys on here love to bash mechanicals, and others like me love them. They work so well that I'll risk the 1 in 100 chance they fail. I'll state 2 things again and again, and I'll get slapped upside the head again and again for it, but here goes. If they fail, it's likely user error. In your case, I'd bet the collar was off. Second, they do such an amazing amount of damage when they hit a deer, that they make up for user error in a lot of cases. A marginal hit with a large mechical, and you likely find your deer within 100 yards anyway. A marginal hit with a fixed blade, and they run and run. Even if it's only double the distance, that's twice as likely that you lose your deer. I encourage you to tinker and play with that Rage until you do feel comfortable shooting it. I'd also recommend the 3 blade for a few reasons. First, 3 blades cuts a bigger hole. Second, if a blade were to snap, you still have 2 more punching through. There's my 2 cents. Stick with the Rage.
884savage

Post by 884savage »

W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

send them back to Rage and they will send you your money back . that's what I did . and get some thing that works. I like the NAP FOC 3'' cut . your target goes nowhere . they work.
W.M. :|
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have 4 or 5 of them rage thingys i had one deploy the blades when i shot n sailed over a good 8 pts back at 30 yds. Never again will one sit on the business end of my arrows. I am shooting up some of the BH's i have got i have been trying out this yr. Anyway i will send thes rageys to who wants them.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
youngguns

Post by youngguns »

Thank you for all response , first time ever using mech. I always shot fixed from my compound. I have g5 strikers 100 gr. Should I try them or go with 125 that I set arrow up with?? I have two shooters on my property don't want to short change myself with wrong head !! Thank you guys very much :) . Youngguns
A stupid question is a question never asked