Boltcutter Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Re: Boltcutter Broadheads

Post by grouse »

I have only crossbow hunted for two years, but I did use boltcutters the first year and killed a doe that dropped within sight. I switched to 150 gr. slick tricks last year because they have one more blade, and thus more cutting surface. I shot a doe with the slick tricks and she ran 150 yards before expiring. Both were good hits but not exactly the same, and I intend to continue using the slick tricks. Any head that is the proper weight, shoots accurately and can be kept sharp, should be fine. Count me among those who see no need to use a mechanical head when they add unnecessary risk.
axiom
350 SE
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

been shooting muzzy 100s 4 blades and had great success and tight groups, the arrows are usually burried deep in ground up to fletching after passing thru deer and. never tried the bolt cutters but my buddy uses them and likes them
Jc1

Post by Jc1 »

I have been using the same Wasp broadheads since 1984 when I got my first foxfire crossbow.! I'm old school and grew up watching Fred Bear and back then, you kept the same broadhead and kept them and maintained them., filed down and kept them sharp. I also had bought extra blades and such and have had a lot of luck with them and have kept them going . A few years back, I decided I was going to update and bought the latest greatest and after not finding a deer and difficult bloodtrails, I went back to the same old Wasps.
Even though I have some of the original packaging for the broadheads, nowhere on them do they have how many grains they are. I'm just now getting back into crossbows with my Axiom. I'm going to try the Boltcutters since they match my equipment. I haven't been able to find any in stores anywhere all summer so I had a guy at a store here order some for me......I went to pick them up and he had forgot to notify me that he wasn't able to get them. So I had my wife order me some at the last minute off a website. They are suppose to be in on Friday, season open Sat. morning. I might be using the Wasps one more time if I don't get the boltcutters on time.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Jc1 wrote:I have been using the same Wasp broadheads since 1984 when I got my first foxfire crossbow.! I'm old school and grew up watching Fred Bear and back then, you kept the same broadhead and kept them and maintained them., filed down and kept them sharp. I also had bought extra blades and such and have had a lot of luck with them and have kept them going . A few years back, I decided I was going to update and bought the latest greatest and after not finding a deer and difficult bloodtrails, I went back to the same old Wasps.
Even though I have some of the original packaging for the broadheads, nowhere on them do they have how many grains they are. I'm just now getting back into crossbows with my Axiom. I'm going to try the Boltcutters since they match my equipment. I haven't been able to find any in stores anywhere all summer so I had a guy at a store here order some for me......I went to pick them up and he had forgot to notify me that he wasn't able to get them. So I had my wife order me some at the last minute off a website. They are suppose to be in on Friday, season open Sat. morning. I might be using the Wasps one more time if I don't get the boltcutters on time.

Hi Jc1...just wondering if you were ever able to connect with your Boltcutters? If you would add your location to your information it would make it easy for other members to help you out in the future...by me putting my location I was able to reach out to someone else from NJ when I sold my Excalibur case...I got to drop it off to him instead of spending $15 in mailing it.

Best regards,

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings