Tree stand safety

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

Tree stand safety

Post by strum »

While most of us are excited about the beginning of deer season most are not excited about harnessing up..
I just want to raise awareness agian this year about safety.
The most overlooked step in harness safety is testing.
I like to test my harness each year at home with someone present to help.
Hook your stand to a tree in the yard (if you have one)
climb just enough to be off the ground when you hang.
hook up your harness and step off (gently no need to jump)
this way youll get a feel for how it feels to be off stand ,hanging buy a strap.
and it will give you a chance to figure out how to get back on stand and or use your suspension device.
I found that if I can get turned around (facing the tree) I can get back on stand fine ..but it takes some effort..
doing this simple test may SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!
I did this test a couple of years ago and tried an older (hide-em-hunter) harness that I had been using for years..doing this test I realized that if I had ever fell I would be dead.. it gave me about 1-2 mins of air and then affixation...not good :? now this harness is my deer drag ONLY!!
glad I tested it.
PLEASE TEST YOURS
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
amythntr

Re: Tree stand safety

Post by amythntr »

....Excellent advice Strum....can I borrow a tree? :cry:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
bubba

Post by bubba »

This is a very good post that all should read. I always test my in the woods stuff, before every season. This will be my first with a crossbow. but I will be as safe as I kin be......bubba.......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Jray

Post by Jray »

Turning around is not an issue if you use a rock climbing harness. And hook-up before you leave the ground!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Excellent advice and great post!
Another thing that is equally important to remember is that you can still die while hanging from a harness waiting for help... it's called suspension trauma and what happens is as your weight hangs suspended in the harness it puts pressure on the femoral arteries in the groin area and restricts blood flow and can cause a person to pass out, after which a prolonged restriction of blood flow to the brain can cause death. Whatever type of vest or safety harness you choose, please pick one that has a strap you can hook a foot into and raise yourself up periodically to take your weight off those straps around your legs. Be safe out there!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Just installed three life lines on sunday! now i will be hooked up at all times!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Good read and advise! . . .thanks guys!
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

amythntr wrote:....Excellent advice Strum....can I borrow a tree? :cry:

C'mon goomba, you must have telephone poles in Jersey.? Entertain your neighbors a little. :lol:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Seriously, this is a great post. Some excellent pointers.also if you use a climbing stand be sure to have a rope connecting the top and bottom. When I first got my stands years ago I watched all their safety videos (that's right, videos) and one of the points was to have the top and bottom connected. Thank goodness I did that because i had the bottom slip out from under me at 20+ feet up a tree and didn't like the idea of shimmying down. I was already safetied in and with minimal effort was able to reach down from my seated position, grab the rope attached to my bottom half and lift it up to get my feet in the stirrups and set it right. I still don't know how it happened but I'm sure glad I was prepared. :oops:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
strum

Post by strum »

amythntr wrote:....Excellent advice Strum....can I borrow a tree? :cry:

sure ill email you one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
strum

Post by strum »

Jray wrote:Turning around is not an issue if you use a rock climbing harness. And hook-up before you leave the ground!
never tried one of those :shock:
and I know most of us don't like to hook up till were up there because of the time it takes to slide the strap up ..then climb a bit then slide the strap up then climb ect..but really that's where most calls occur..going up or going down ..stay connected..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
Boo

Post by Boo »

For the few times I'm on a tree stand I use one of those vests and one lifeline. To think that 15/20 years ago, the common way to go was just a belt attached to the tree! :shock: Crazy stuff! :roll: What, were we nutz? :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

Stan, for a lifeline you can use ascender, aka uppers (no this is not a que to make a joke :mrgreen: ).
I use an ascender because I'm cheap and won't buy one of those new fangled vests that let you down.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

I own a "downsafe descender" which I bought last year....It will automatically let you down slowly if you fall out of a tree assuming you are at least 13' up.

I went to their site recently and also to other sites and apparently their product is out of stock...I called the company today and was told they were coming out with updated and new products....I asked him if what I own can be used and he responded yes....

Hmmmmmm???

Anybody know anything about this?

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
strum

Post by strum »

Boo wrote:Stan, for a lifeline you can use ascender, aka uppers (no this is not a que to make a joke :mrgreen: ).
I use an ascender because I'm cheap and won't buy one of those new fangled vests that let you down.

don't know what that is Don :shock: and you know me I never joke :mrgreen:

edit: i looked em up :D ..those are great if your using a life line but if you are climbing a tree with a portable climber then theres no rope waiting for you..
this is where I was talking about attaching the strap and stayng hooked up all the way up or down..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony