Zeiss Duralyt 2-8 verses Hawke XB30 Pro

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

racking up points

Re: Zeiss Duralyt 2-8 verses Hawke XB30 Pro

Post by racking up points »

I was a Hawke fan until I bought a Leupold. They are way brighter and about 1/2 the weight.

When I took the Hawke off my M380, I put it on my wife's M330 and she noticed the difference in weight immediately. It was like strapping a brick to the sight rail. I bought her a Crossbones and problem solved.

All the Leupold fan boy stuff aside...they need a crossbones with the Firedot. The 2-7x magnification is also overkill. A 405 would need like 6x on the crossbones speed dial and to me, that's overkill for shots under 40y. The FOV at 6x and 40y would be pretty narrow. They need a scope in the 1-4 range for faster crossbows. I have written a few emails to suggest this but it falls on deaf ears. But then again, I have heard some rumours about what may come out next year...

Back to the Hawke topic, (sorry about my OT rant), for the money, you get a lot of features and they are crossbow friendly.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Boo

Post by Boo »

Steve, to me a bit of clarity is an important plus. There have been times with lesser scopes that I've stopped hunting before I had to because of failing light. But one thing I'll put money on, the Zeizz will be far more durable.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I have also sent a few emails to Leupold. I'm a tried and true believer in Leupold. I'll stick with my Hawke XB30 until Leupold comes out with a lighted reticle scope.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

The main reason I use Leupold's is for their superior low light gathering characteristics. Illuminated reticles are not required during legal hunting hours if you have a quality optic. My non-illuminated Leupold scope is crystal clear during these first and last few minutes of hunting in my state half hour before sunrise and half hour after sunset.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

yooper_man wrote:The main reason I use Leupold's is for their superior low light gathering characteristics. Illuminated reticles are not required during legal hunting hours if you have a quality optic. My non-illuminated Leupold scope is crystal clear during these first and last few minutes of hunting in my state half hour before sunrise and half hour after sunset.

Andrew
True enough. But a Leup with the Firedot is even better! If you haven't used one of these in the low light conditions you state, I think you'd be impressed.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Boo

Post by Boo »

racking up points wrote: True enough. But a Leup with the Firedot is even better! If you haven't used one of these in the low light conditions you state, I think you'd be impressed.
It's a dot that you can make real small and very dim so it doesn't glare like some scopes. Plus it is an auto off/auto on. Just put down the bow for it to go out and pick it up to turn it on. Pretty cool!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Burris had the Signature Electric Dot a long time ago [USA]. and as good as any scope talked about here.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Boo wrote:
racking up points wrote: True enough. But a Leup with the Firedot is even better! If you haven't used one of these in the low light conditions you state, I think you'd be impressed.
It's a dot that you can make real small and very dim so it doesn't glare like some scopes. Plus it is an auto off/auto on. Just put down the bow for it to go out and pick it up to turn it on. Pretty cool!
I completely agree, Leupold's firedot reticles are awesome. Well thought out design and corner the market.

I was referring to the illuminated reticles of other manufactures crossbow scopes.

Andrew
Last edited by yooper_man on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

I've owned 2 xb30's.....there gone, just not my cup of squeezin's :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

yooper_man wrote:The main reason I use Leupold's is for their superior low light gathering characteristics. Illuminated reticles are not required during legal hunting hours if you have a quality optic. My non-illuminated Leupold scope is crystal clear during these first and last few minutes of hunting in my state half hour before sunrise and half hour after sunset.

Andrew
Yooper, I would agree with your assessment with their rifle scopes but not with the crossbow setup. Where I hunt in S Georgia,the leaves are still on the trees during archery season. At first and last light,it's too dark for me to see the crosshairs without a lighted reticle. Not a problem on open fields but the oak bottoms are tough.
Zombie Slayers
Boo String
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

UPSMAN wrote:

Andrew
Yooper, I would agree with your assessment with their rifle scopes but not with the crossbow setup. Where I hunt in S Georgia,the leaves are still on the trees during archery season. At first and last light,it's too dark for me to see the crosshairs without a lighted reticle. Not a problem on open fields but the oak bottoms are tough.
Sure, I understand.

Andrew
Last edited by yooper_man on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo

Post by Boo »

UPSMAN wrote:Yooper, I would agree with your assessment with their rifle scopes but not with the crossbow setup. Where I hunt in S Georgia,the leaves are still on the trees during archery season. At first and last light,it's too dark for me to see the crosshairs without a lighted reticle. Not a problem on open fields but the oak bottoms are tough.
Up here it gets dark real quick in the pines, in the pines, where the sun don't ever shine :mrgreen:
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Boo wrote:
UPSMAN wrote:Yooper, I would agree with your assessment with their rifle scopes but not with the crossbow setup. Where I hunt in S Georgia,the leaves are still on the trees during archery season. At first and last light,it's too dark for me to see the crosshairs without a lighted reticle. Not a problem on open fields but the oak bottoms are tough.
Up here it gets dark real quick in the pines, in the pines, where the sun don't ever shine :mrgreen:
Boo, My favorite bow stand is deep in an oak bottom. It gets dark 30 minutes earlier in that bottom than out on the hill. I can sit until I can't see, then get down and head to the truck. It's usually still light when I get to the truck.
Zombie Slayers
Boo String