Next step - mounting scope - ring recommendation

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nyexhunter

Next step - mounting scope - ring recommendation

Post by nyexhunter »

I got the Hawke XB30 scope for my Matrix. Beautiful scope, replaced the battery and the crosshairs light up beautifully in red or green.

There was a rail that the scope was mounted on with rings built in. The rail could be mounted on top of the excalibur rail, however it would cause it to be higher than desirable and also add more weight. So I am taking the rail off and buying separate 30MM rings to mount to the Matrix rail.

Any recommendations on good scope rings for use in mounting to the Matrix rail.

Thanks
Normous

Re: Next step - mounting scope - ring recommendation

Post by Normous »

Leupold Rifleman 30mm Split Rings are well made with Leupolds latest CNC equipment, light weight aluminum, and under $20 online.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Thanks Normous
Had a Dicks Sporting goods gift certificate, so I decided on the Vortex rings, which I ordered online
Hopefully they will get here soon
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Yesterday I got the scope rings and mounted them. Vortex Viper 30 MM Low Height rings. Super easy to mount and they look super strong and stable.

Since they are low mounts, when I bring the crossbow up the scope is right where it should be and I can see through it immediately. Something to consider as an alternative for those considering the cheek piece - just mount your scope lower.

The Hawke XB30 scope was super bright and the red and green lit cross hairs light up nicely. Took 2 shots to get it dialed in at 20 yards and then shot perfectly at 10 yard increments out to 50 yards after setting the dial on the back of the scope for fps.

Another side note - I was initially in a rush to get my crossbow set up but had to wait for the scope mounts. In retrospect, I'm glad I waited as it gave me time to get familiar with it and learn it inside out, watching the DVD a few times, using the stringing aid and adjusting the brace height etc. Also much easier to play with the crossbow doing this stuff at the start without the scope on.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Glad to hear it's worked out for you. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Yes - I am very thankful for all the advice that was received on this forum.

Also, it was good for me to actually go through all the steps involved in setting up the crossbow and scope and making the adjustments to the string/brace height instead of just picking up one in a store and thinking I was good to go without actually learning about what I was doing.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

nyexhunter wrote:Yes - I am very thankful for all the advice that was received on this forum.

Also, it was good for me to actually go through all the steps involved in setting up the crossbow and scope and making the adjustments to the string/brace height instead of just picking up one in a store and thinking I was good to go without actually learning about what I was doing.
Smart man there.... :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers