Question on C2 cocking aid

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nyexhunter

Question on C2 cocking aid

Post by nyexhunter »

OK - another question as I move along the learning curve.

I used the C2 cocking aid to pull the stringing aid back several times and with the antireverse latch on and clicking I couldn't hear the string engage at the top one time; so I basically overcocked the bow so the C2 rope was so tight that it was hard to disengage the antireverse latch to turn the C2 back down.

I was able to thread some 50# test monofilament line around the top of the latch to pull back on it from the top to free it up so I could back the C2 down.

Should I mark the side of the rail so I can see when the string is engaged if I can't hear it?

If you cock the string too tight will it damage the trigger?

Thanks for your help and patience. I am learning a lot from the experts here.
Boo

Re: Question on C2 cocking aid

Post by Boo »

Try a white paint dot or magic marker on the side of the rail where the pulley is at the top of travel. Another would be to take a fine sewing needle and put some thread through the rope so that you see the thread at the pulley when you're home.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Thanks

So I take it that there is no way that the crossbow can be over cocked?

Also is there a magnified diagram available to see what it looks like when the string is engaged and ready to fire. I would just like to know in detail so I can visualize this process.
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you over cock, you'll cut your serving on the edge of the string cut-out in the trigger unit.
Just go sloooooow and you'll hear the noise of the bow cocking.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Finally got my scope mounted and started the sighting in process which involved actually pulling the string back instead of the stringing aid.

I leave the antireverse clicker off on the C2 and I can now hear the point where the string is engaged. I also marked the side of the rail with a sharpie to give me a reference point as I crank the C2 up.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

nyexhunter wrote:Finally got my scope mounted and started the sighting in process which involved actually pulling the string back instead of the stringing aid.

I leave the antireverse clicker off on the C2 and I can now hear the point where the string is engaged. I also marked the side of the rail with a sharpie to give me a reference point as I crank the C2 up.
Just be extra careful, with the anti reverse clicker off, that you don't lose your grip on the cranking handle. That could make things very exciting....and not in a nice way.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Yes, I am extremely careful. I may use the antireverse lever at some point after I get comfortable with knowing the point at which the string is cocked.

Without hearing it, I am afraid of overcocking, i.e., putting too much tension on the C2 and then it is difficult to take the antireverse off since there is so much tension on it.
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

So if I look at the trigger at the point that the string latches, I will be able to see the trigger move?
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I do not engage the locking thingy either for the same reason that I was always over cocking because I could not hear the click, and ya, be careful lol, I gave my knuckles one hell of a beating once when my hand slipped.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Talked to a friend this morning. He was in Bass Pro a few weeks ago and tried out one of the crank cocking devices there on a compound crossbow. It was his first time trying it and not knowing what he was doing, he went way overboard and overcocked it, plus he is a real strong guy and the rope broke. Fortunately the string was engaged so the only thing that broke was the rope. So I guess were not the only ones that have overcocked using a cranking device.