Tested 5 Mechanical Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

galamb

Tested 5 Mechanical Broadheads

Post by galamb »

Last season I used up my last G5 Tekan II broadhead (of my original 3).

I loved them - flew like a fieldpoint and never lost a deer with them. Blood trails were "ok" but given the success I had with them (6 deer - all recovered), you don't fix what isn't broken.

But the last was chewed up beyond a simple blade replacement (damn rocks behind a pass thru) so had to find a new head. With the price of broadheads I was looking primarily for "durability" provided it keeps a decent grouping on target (just about everything on the market today is pretty close - at least "bambi close" in terms of flight accuracy).

At 25 or 30 yards a field point will probably kill a deer with a well placed shot. And of course, you can't test a blood trail at least initially - that's a later test.

I had shot Rage 40 KE's with my recurve (vertical) bow with good results so decided to try the two blade Rage (crossbow) heads first. Flew fairly well but destroyed 2 of them in my foam target (both on the initial shot) AND the penetration was barely 6".

"MY" conclusion - "disposable, single use head" - next....

Fired some NAP Bloodrunner II's. These are "hybrid" that open wider upon impact - so basically a 2 blade head 1 1/8" across when closed and "piston" open to 2 1/16" upon impact.

I posted a thread about them previously. Launched the first one into outer space. They "deploy" upon firing, at least from my crossbow (Vixen II) and the expanded blade caught the foot stirrup and set it skywards (destroyed two heads before I figured the issue).

(NAP does put a "does not work with all crossbows" on the package but you can not get a "reason why" even on the website).

Anyhow, after orienting the blades perpendicular to the shooting rail, they do fly well and survived the foam target after repeated shots. I would hunt with these but since the possibility exists to "load them wrong", especially with a flat nock (I shoot moon's, but many don't), I relegated these to the "just in case" broadhead box.

Got a pack of (old stock) Undertakers - now Meat Seekers from Rocket/Trophy Ridge.

These are piston action 3 blade heads. Upon impact the tip pistons back and the elastic holding the blades is rolled off giving you full deployment.

The foam target ate two of them. The blades were twisted/contorted and upon removal the blades dug into the ferule taking a chunk out of the blades (they kinda roll forward when you pull them out - supposed to make removal easier - which it is, but it wrecks the blades in the process.

To be fair these were the (older) Undertakers and the Meat Seekers may have addressed the ferule/blade contact issue, but they aren't getting 45 bucks from me to find out, especially since the foam bent up the (somewhat flimsy) blades in the first place.

Another "single use, then replace the blades head" - Next.

Since I loved the G5 T2's I decided to give the much advertised G5 T3's a chance. They looked "mean" and are advertised to be build stronger than the competition (and at 50 bucks for 3 I hoped so).

Well, put the first one into my foam target - broke off a blade and took a chunk out of the ferrule channel that holds the blade and destroyed the spider clip - 1/3 of my investment in the scrap pile after 1 shot.

I immediately put the "target" blades in one of the remaining two and fired them a number of times without incident - grouping well.

But, while these may provide "the red carpet treatment", I don't plan on finding out - at least not this season. If it couldn't survive foam, it won't get the chance on my one and only Bambi tag this year (maybe they should have used a "sub-standard" aluminum ferule - the steel certainly wasn't superior).

Another "disposable - one shot" head (potentially).

Finally settled on a head. The last one I checked out was Antler Insanity's "Battle Axe" heads - another "hybrid".

You have a 9/16" cut on impact (small) fixed blade and then rear deploying 2" blades (offset to the cut on impact part). Deployed I measured them at 2 1/16" - even better.

After dozens of shots all that was required was one new elastic (o-ring) and a touch up with the sharpener. They won the "battle of the blades" for this deer season.

Last notes - all blades tested flew exceptionally well and penetration was 8-10" into very dense a "crossbow broadhead" target block (except the Rage II's which barely made 6" - 5 3/4" one shot, and a tic under 6" with the second - the G5 T3's had the best penetration but lacked the durability I wanted).

The block was "better" than the Rage II's, the Undertaker/Meat Seeker's or the G5 T3's - it killed them.

The NAP Bloodrunner II's survived the block but deploy on shooting (although didn't seem to effect point of impact). The Battle Axe's were durable, didn't prematurely deploy and have move cutting surface than the Bloodrunners which is why they ultimately got the nod..

(I am not associated with any of the products in any way other than I donated between 40 and 50 bucks to each of the MFG's for the privilege of bringing the package home from the Archery shop).
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
frisky

Re: Tested 5 Mechanical Broadheads

Post by frisky »

I use the 3 blade Meat Seeker. Yes, the blades look flimsey, but I have mulitiple kills with one head. One blade finealy broke after it hit the knee joint (far side) of a pass though. All mykills with them have been pass thoughs. I realy like the heads.
Some people drive Chevs and some Fords. What works fine for some may not work good for others. Thanks for the test results :D :D !
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
bubba

Post by bubba »

Thanks for the review! ! only wish you had included swhackers,and slick trick vipers. ! have tested both out of my Ibex and they seem to preform good both are hitting close to my field points.So that's what i'll be using this year. At least until I stick one in a deer or hog.Then I will really know if they continue leading the flight of my fire bolt...Thanks again learning every day.......bubba.......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
galamb

Post by galamb »

I will no doubt do a few more but maybe not this season (heading out hunting after lunch today).

The Swhackers do look "interesting" as do the Ramcat's and the Toxic's (although not mechanical so I don't suspect the same kind of durability issues).

In the case of the Toxic's I took a good at them in the shop and cant see how you would ever sharpen these things (they appear to only be sharpened on one side, a bevel, and the blades are round - like I said, test another day), which is why I didn't try them out this year (I test for durability/penetration/grouping and I consider the ability to resharpen to be part of the "durability", I don't want to have to replace blades either if they can be sharpened)- but they sure look "cool".

I am also on the lookout for a couple more "hybrids" to try - so something "fixed" out front with a (preferably) rear deploying blades - and three blades are becoming the new norm, so looking along those lines.

I'm sure the MFG's will indulge me shortly - they are always looking for ways to separate us from our money with the "next new thing" :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Backstraps

Post by Backstraps »

Can't speak to the swhackers but many others around here have used them and posted their results. I would imagine a search would return a fair amount of reading material. I don't think you can go wrong with any fixed blade head that bears the Slick Trick name. They are built solid and have always been up to the task for me whenever I call on them to introduce a critter to the dirt.
Matrix Grizzly
Vixenmaster strings
100 gr. Magnus Heads
BEE .001
AAE Max Stealth Vanes
Taylmatr

Post by Taylmatr »

I had wondered about the battle axe. Ended up going with the tried and true muzzy 4 blade again though. If you get any successful shots I would love to know what you think about them!
galamb

Post by galamb »

I will - I'm "hunting" the Battle Axe right now. I just looks plain "mean" :P

If Bambi co-operates (and I have a pretty nice 8 pointer that I can't quite pattern coming around), I will take lot's of pictures.

The one thing that I have noted at least at this point (and not a good or bad point, just an observation) is they are quite a bit longer than the typical mechanical broadhead (their ferrule is fully 2") so there is quite a bit "hangin' out" in front of the rail compared to say a G5/T3 @ 7/8" and even my old fixed 125 Thunderheads @ 1 7/8".
Graham

gendoc

Post by gendoc »

my son and I are currently comparing the g5 striker mag vs battle axe now.

progress will be updated later.

its amazing how somethings come together without any knowledge of the happenings........... :shock:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.