Nockturnal Nocks Suck!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cevans

Nockturnal Nocks Suck!

Post by cevans »

Just got a pack of nockturnal nocks in the mail today as I wanted to try them out and did I get a workout. I must say, easy to install. I have never had but one dry fire in my life, and that was when my wife came out bothering me when I was sighting in about 2 months ago, and broke my chain of thought and I shot the bow without a arrow, but, today, after installing nocktural flat nocks in my arrows, and after shooting all 3 arrows about 4-5 times a piece resighting the bow in, The string rode off the back of the nocks and split the vanes on my arrows creating a dry fire of sorts. Third time, was the charm and I went in and got 4 new arrows, replaced broadheads on them and finished sighting in as its bow season and just don't have time for crap as I should have been out hunting in this front moving in instead of playing around with equipment.

I know quite a few of you like that nock. But let me point out the misgivings of the nock. The very back of the nock moves to activate the light. Had to take my fingernail and move it out or sometimes the nock would not light. Cause of the back of the nock moving and not remaining totally flat if it so much as gets off a slight angle, IT will ride up and over the back of the arrow and wreck your arrow and possibly your limbs. Lucky I had switched strings and went back to a stock string and not a flemish or would have trashed my limbs. I can see this nock working on the less poundage bows, but not a Exomax or heavier poundage crossbow, cause of the flat back moving inward on the nock to set the light on, but in my opinion, I will personally not use these ever again. That flat back only moves about a 1/16 of a inch, but the give is enough to create problems and for me, I want every shot I take to be a killing shot, and not a fubar. After looking hard at the 3 nockturnal nocks, 2 of them have super small hairline cracks in the sides also. I can't see it holding up to the shock of the shot if they were shot very much.

Some of you might say,,,how is my serving? Was it worn, or what ever? My serving is newly replaced couple of weeks ago by myself as I reserve my strings quite often as needed. There is no serving wear off my trigger either. I happen to like my trigger on my bow as there is no creep and its pretty darned smooth too.

I wanted to post this not to vent, but to inform others if their thinking about this nock as I am not sure how the new and heavier poundage bows handle this nock and just didn't want to see someone else tear something up. I pulled 4 new arrows out of my stock and in 8 shots was smoking the bulleyes using my alumium nocks (at 50 yrds) and have peace of mind and the confidence of the shot when I am back in the woods tomorrow on the hunt for a really big monster of a buck running my area. Stay out of my woods!!! :lol: and Good luck to all hunting.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
paulaboutform

Re: Nockturnal Nocks Suck!

Post by paulaboutform »

That's a good heads up. My Luminoks have performed flawlessly and I think I'll keep them. Good luck with your monster buck.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Yup, I tried the nockturnals. They do suck, emails to the company resulted in the offer of new and improved replacements. But never materialized into anything, further emails to that company fell on deaf ears. Never again.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I got an e-mail last year and I think it said that Excalibur only recommends Lumenoks . I have shot 3 deer with the same one with no trouble.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
ds762

Post by ds762 »

I liked them immensely in a vertical bow ..
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
cevans

Post by cevans »

the ones I just got and tried out are their new X Bow lighted nock that fits all sizes of shafts. I was going to write them and tell them how cheezie their nocks were,,and will later on. I am sighted in now again, and just going to forgo any more changes or experimenting till next year now. It was a bitchin enough day as I screwed up 4 arrows total. Still trying to figure out what kind of glue they use too,,as hot water will dissolve it in getting the dang things out and replacing with aluminum nocks I had in them. I really wanted them to work. Time to hunt!
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

cdn.redneck

Post by cdn.redneck »

thanks for the info.
critic on stuff like this is nice to pass on. there's always people trying to put on the market new stuff but end up not working well. once in a while its nice to try new stuff that come out but if you really pay attention, you always come back to your first.

there's pros and cons on everything, just need to try them to make up your mind :mrgreen:
Leupold crossbones
Mathews Monster 7.0
Black Eagle - Carbon Express - Easton
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

x2 on nu fletch been useing them going into my 2nd season with them .very easy to work
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

I bought some excalibur firebolts with the lighted nocks installed. They work just fine with my Ibex, no problems shooting them out to 40 yards. But, when I tried shooting them out of my Exomax I had partial dryfires three times in a row. Now I will only shoot half moon lighted nocks out of my Exomax.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
cevans

Post by cevans »

Besides the partial dry fires,,what really spazzed me out was the hair line cracks down the sides of 2 of the nocks only happening just after 3-4 shots. Too brittle of plastic and thin walled down the sides in my opinion leading to eventual breakage.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Backstraps

Post by Backstraps »

I'm with Bob and Swamp on this one. Nufletch Ignitors are the way to go. Durable and worry free for me.
Matrix Grizzly
Vixenmaster strings
100 gr. Magnus Heads
BEE .001
AAE Max Stealth Vanes