quick fletch

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fredd

quick fletch

Post by fredd »

has anybody tried the quick fletch with blazer vanes on there crossbow bolts.
boltchucker

Re: quick fletch

Post by boltchucker »

I'm using the quick spin they work great and makes it easy yo tune the vans to the BH instead of the BH to glued on vans
galamb

Post by galamb »

Yes, I went through a phase where I tried just about everything out there just to see how it flew (I have a 25 yard range, am semi-retired so have lot's of time to piddle around).

I used the Bone Collector 2" QuikSpin and the 3" QuikSpin (advertised as the Crossbow model). These come in a number of formats (blazers, straight, twisters etc) but I got my best results with the QuikSpin (loose) vanes so went that route to check the product.

They worked no better or no worse than any other fletching out to 35 yards (which is the max I can shoot at home).

The only real benefit I see to these is that you do not need a fletching jig (or have to horse around with glue) if you are not equipped and only have a couple of bolts/arrows to repair.

Otherwise, they are just downright "expensive".

6 QuikFletch (units) sell for about 20 bucks - that's the equivalent of $1.11 for "each fletch".

In comparison I can buy 36 QuikSpin vanes for $13 or 36 cents per vane.

But if you don't want to go the cost of a fletching jig (30 to 80 bucks will get you something decent) and mess with glue (I mostly use the gel style Super Glue) or you only occasionally refletch an arrow, then these are certainly both viable and totally functional.

My one criticism is that they are not available in 4 or 5" vane formats, which I prefer to shoot, but can say that I used to shoot (exclusively) Horton Bone Collector (bolts) with the 3" QuikSpin vanes and was more than satisfied with the results - of course, Horton went out of business and I lost my source for bolts.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I have had good luck with them.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
strum

Post by strum »

LongCarbine wrote:I have had good luck with them.
X2... they are pricey but I found they hold up very well and fly as good as anything else ive used..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I did some experiments a few years ago that demonstrated that the QS vanes stabilized my arrow quicker thana "regular" 4" vane. I see similar performance from my Blazers/Rayzrs fletched with helical now.
In that time period I tried the quick fletches too. Very expensive, and mine did not last. They left a brown streak of burn plastic on the rail and that part eventually failed (less than 20 shots??) so they were not worth it to me.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
fredd

Post by fredd »

i will give it a try and see what happens.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

nchunterkw wrote:I did some experiments a few years ago that demonstrated that the QS vanes stabilized my arrow quicker thana "regular" 4" vane. I see similar performance from my Blazers/Rayzrs fletched with helical now.
In that time period I tried the quick fletches too. Very expensive, and mine did not last. They left a brown streak of burn plastic on the rail and that part eventually failed (less than 20 shots??) so they were not worth it to me.
Now THAT is what I call useful info!!!! Opinions are okay, but like other things..... everyone has one, and they aren't always based on fact or proper use and technique. Can't say that about "They left a brown streak of .........."!
I was considering trying them out with my 380 because I really liked them with my compound. I had my suspicions about the plastic shrink wrap tube lifting the tail end of the bolt just high enough to possibly cause flight issues, but had not even thought about the "burn" factor!!!! :shock:

Thanks for saving me the hassles! I'll buy the Quick Spin vanes and fletch them myself when I get ready. :D 8) :wink:
fredd

Post by fredd »

tried them out today, after 5 shots on all 6 arrows at 30 yrds 2'' groups and were in good shape. i'll see what shape there in after they have had 30 or forty shots each .
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

fredd wrote:Now THAT is what I call useful info!!!! Opinions are okay, but like other things..... everyone has one, and they aren't always based on fact or proper use and technique. Can't say that about "They left a brown streak of .........."!
I was considering trying them out with my 380 because I really liked them with my compound. I had my suspicions about the plastic shrink wrap tube lifting the tail end of the bolt just high enough to possibly cause flight issues, but had not even thought about the "burn" factor!!!!

Thanks for saving me the hassles! I'll buy the Quick Spin vanes and fletch them myself when I get ready.
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:58 p
Sorry for the non informational answer..... Yes they will leave a "burn " but all the wraps I have tried did the same . I have over 80 shots on them and they fly to the same p.o.i as my 2"Blazer's fletched with a hard left wing twist . They are a little pricey but you can buy enough for more than 2 doz. arrows for the price of a fletcher . Also anyone can boil water,not everyone can fletch arrows well. And I can use them up in the mountains or in deer camp if the need arises. I hope this is detailed enough.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Thanks. I already have a pack that I bought bought last fall, so I guess I might as well give them a shot. The "brown streak" thing worried me, like maybe not too many shots and the streak would turn into a completely worn through area with the possibility of an in shot failure.

I don't shoot a bunch; just enough to make sure that things are still dialed in. From what you say, sounds like they would be okay....... With a good inspection before each shot! 8)
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

galamb wrote:Yes, I went through a phase where I tried just about everything out there just to see how it flew (I have a 25 yard range, am semi-retired so have lot's of time to piddle around).

I used the Bone Collector 2" QuikSpin and the 3" QuikSpin (advertised as the Crossbow model). These come in a number of formats (blazers, straight, twisters etc) but I got my best results with the QuikSpin (loose) vanes so went that route to check the product.

They worked no better or no worse than any other fletching out to 35 yards (which is the max I can shoot at home).

The only real benefit I see to these is that you do not need a fletching jig (or have to horse around with glue) if you are not equipped and only have a couple of bolts/arrows to repair.

Otherwise, they are just downright "expensive".

6 QuikFletch (units) sell for about 20 bucks - that's the equivalent of $1.11 for "each fletch".

In comparison I can buy 36 QuikSpin vanes for $13 or 36 cents per vane.

But if you don't want to go the cost of a fletching jig (30 to 80 bucks will get you something decent) and mess with glue (I mostly use the gel style Super Glue) or you only occasionally refletch an arrow, then these are certainly both viable and totally functional.

My one criticism is that they are not available in 4 or 5" vane formats, which I prefer to shoot, but can say that I used to shoot (exclusively) Horton Bone Collector (bolts) with the 3" QuikSpin vanes and was more than satisfied with the results - of course, Horton went out of business and I lost my source for bolts.
I was at Bass Pro two days ago and they DID have the Quick Fletch Quick Spin in a
"Crossbow" model that was about 4", if I remember correctly. :wink: