Matrix 380 Mechanical Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wgreer13

Matrix 380 Mechanical Broadheads

Post by wgreer13 »

Good Morning All:

I recently purchased the Matrix 380...LOVE IT!! But, having an issue with the Rage Mechanical Broad heads. I'm using the 18" Diablos that came with the Xbow and 125 grams Rage. The Rage are de-plowing when shooting. What is the best Mechanical Broad heads for this Xbow? Is anyone else having the same issue?

WG
Carnivorous

Re: Matrix 380 Mechanical Broadheads

Post by Carnivorous »

I highly recommend the NAP FOC!!

Both animals I shot so far went down real fast and it flies great with no premature blade deployment...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Make sure your using the collars that came with them . The collars have slits in them . Line up a blade in BETWEEN the slits when installing them .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
wgreer13

Post by wgreer13 »

8ptbuk wrote:Make sure your using the collars that came with them . The collars have slits in them . Line up a blade in BETWEEN the slits when installing them .
Thanks for the input. But, I did make sure the blades were lined up properly. By the way...nice scripture...AMEN!!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Thank you ! Bless you ! Honestly , the only way I see it can come out from under the collar is for the collar to break . Mike
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

I use the nap spitfire 125gr MBH with my vortex but, when I got the 380
I tried them and right off the bat..new never shot BH !!! first one pre-opened. i could tell by the
chrony reduction in speed and poi. and it wrecked the blades too :cry:

with my 380 I use G5 striker magnum now and boy what a brutal broadhead :shock:

fixed BH with replaceable blades that "will not come loose" I have tried
to make them and I lost within reason of impact material similar to
bone structure. my son shot a wild hog early last spring during turkey season
and we processed it and deboned the front shoulders and froze them for future tests. the striker went thru the plate with no problems @ 20yrds
and it was still in one piece !!! that sold me on them 8)

then we lined both shoulders up, double plates to see what the BH would do.

shot the same arra with same striker @ 10yrds this time.

the BH went thru both plates with ease and in one piece.

but to use it again, the blades need to be changed.

I have 19 days to wait to see how the striker magnum will preform
in real time.....i'm about to go nuts !!! :lol: :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:
Last edited by gendoc on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Normous

Post by Normous »

The NAP 170 grain FOC with a 3" wide cut made massive holes on the two bucks I shot last year out of my 380 and this year I saw what it did to a bear and was very impressed again.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
galamb

Post by galamb »

If you are looking for a mechanical that "will not" deploy until it hits something you may want to give the "meat seekers" (by Rocket/Trophy Ridge) a try.

They are available in 2 or 3 blade design and are a piston action rear deploying broadhead. The blades are kept in place with a rubber band (some don't like the bands, but in this design they do the job).

I recently tested them but passed them over because a foam target eats them up upon removal (and I like to target shoot my "exact" hunting heads, not just another one of the same). To be fair, they created a great entry cut and flew just like a field point - so while they failed my "personal durability" requirements, I'm sure they would certainly mess up the day of anything you shot them at.

Anyhow, if there is "another" down-side to these, I found it takes about 15 pounds to get them to deploy (compared to say the 2'ish pounds to deploy a NAP Bloodrunner, which also deploys when shooting from the slowest/weakest Excal x-bow, the Vixen II - and for further comparison I'm thinking it took about 5 or 6 pounds to spring the spider clips on G5's T3's (and they stayed closed upon firing) but only 3 lbs to deploy Rage II's, which is maybe why they opened up on you (although I tested the old Rage design kept closed by the o-ring).

(I also test how much (pressure measured in pounds) it takes to deploy a mechanical blade head as well as durability, penetration and variance from POA)

However, if you are shooting crazy power/speed, these Meat Seekers will definitely NOT deploy until they hit something and the elastic is "rolled off" the rear of the blades. The only downside I see with that is the blade may have completely penetrated the hide before they fully deploy (on certain shots), so without a pass-thru you (could) end up with less than an ideal entry wound - BUT, that's a lot of "if's"...

Only 100 grains, but maybe worth a look.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I haven't had a issue with my 405 and rage crossbow
broadheads... I took a bear earlier this month but now it's deer
season and you have me thinking should I keep using the rage or buy some
ram cats and the hell with expandables
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

No issues with the 125 grain Spitfires.
Did test them on targets, and found that after the third shot into the target they had weakened enough the blades would deploy upon firing. First two or 3 shots were consistently not doing that (paper tested in front of target).

Fast kills and good blood trails with these to date. I am sold, although I may well try out the Toxic 125 grain heads this fall based on Paul's advice here... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
youngguns

Post by youngguns »

For me I shot fixed blades for years out of compound bow , I bought my matrix 380 wanted to try mechanicals ,went with rage crossbow x 125 gr, I sighted in crossbow using 125 gr target tips ,Made sure I read instructions on rage shock collar placment everything I checked I double checked ,shot broadhead and like you it deployed on firing hitting my foot stirrup and flying to never never land, I will never trust that brand again!!! After asking rage about premature deployment they said they tested it at over 400 fps I have asked forum friends about them ihave researched them I have done everything by book will never trust them.......period I shoot g5 s done :D
A stupid question is a question never asked
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

IronNoggin wrote:No issues with the 125 grain Spitfires.
Did test them on targets, and found that after the third shot into the target they had weakened enough the blades would deploy upon firing. First two or 3 shots were consistently not doing that (paper tested in front of target).

Fast kills and good blood trails with these to date. I am sold, although I may well try out the Toxic 125 grain heads this fall based on Paul's advice here... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
Can't wait to hear your report on the Toxics Matt...now get out there do some field testing! :wink: .....initially I was disappointed in the bloodtrail of my little mulie buck as it was just a normal blood trail and not the blood bath i had seen on the hogs. But in retrospect, I had a high double lung shot and the deer ran a total of 60yards so I can't really complain. Good luck.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

I don't know what the problem could be I have shot a boat load of deer with the Rage broadheads including my 380 with not problems. Good Luck
884savage

Post by 884savage »

I really like the Rage heads as well. Not to be rude, but did you watch their video on using them properly? I've never had a problem, and I shoot a ton with them.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

paulaboutform wrote:Can't wait to hear your report on the Toxics Matt...now get out there do some field testing! :wink: .....
On The Job Buddy! But being so early in the season, I am being Damn Fussy for now... :lol:

Will letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."