experienced xbow users thoughts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

smitty54

experienced xbow users thoughts

Post by smitty54 »

going on a moose hunt /shooting exomax /517gr bolt /140ke/sighted in right now at 30yds/hitting a 2 inch square from 10 -30yds /wanna main sight it in at 75 yds /i think i should be able to hit the 8inch vital area from 0-75yds/what you think
Normous

Re: experienced xbow users thoughts

Post by Normous »

Where's Paul :mrgreen:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

I hunt Moose crossbow, using a Matrix 380 with 484 gr. FMJ. arrow.
Look at this post to see how accurate could be a Matrix 380!
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=53708
My maximum range to shot a Moose in a really good condition= 60 YARDS.

Marcel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Normous wrote:Where's Paul :mrgreen:
That is a chip shot for Paul
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

We killed 3 last week and farthest one was 6 yards. Learn to call them and I would not entertain a first shot at much past 40 yards. My 380 shoots 2-3" groups out to 90 but a moose is a big animal. You owe the animal more respect than to be shooting much past 40 in my opinion.
smitty54

Post by smitty54 »

Hunt it wrote:We killed 3 last week and farthest one was 6 yards. Learn to call them and I would not entertain a first shot at much past 40 yards. My 380 shoots 2-3" groups out to 90 but a moose is a big animal. You owe the animal more respect than to be shooting much past 40 in my opinion.
thx 4 ur imput vmapp
galamb

Post by galamb »

If you can keep the arrow on target you have more than enough "thump" to shoot completely through a moose with that set up.

I took one down with my 51 lb recurve shooting a 490'ish grain arrow @ 27 yards which had a "whopping" 24 lbs of kinetic energy.

Your set-up should be producing, minimally 90# of KE outwards to 50 yards.

Bullwinkle won't stand a chance with a well placed shot...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
smitty54

Post by smitty54 »

galamb wrote:If you can keep the arrow on target you have more than enough "thump" to shoot completely through a moose with that set up.

I took one down with my 51 lb recurve shooting a 490'ish grain arrow @ 27 yards which had a "whopping" 24 lbs of kinetic energy.

Your set-up should be producing, minimally 90# of KE outwards to 50 yards.

Bullwinkle won't stand a chance with a well placed shot...
thx 4 imput
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I think the best way to decide is to know what your kinetic energy is at 70 yards and determine if its enough to do the job properly.

F
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

smitty54 wrote:going on a moose hunt /shooting exomax /517gr bolt /140ke/sighted in right now at 30yds/hitting a 2 inch square from 10 -30yds /wanna main sight it in at 75 yds /i think i should be able to hit the 8inch vital area from 0-75yds/what you think
Hi Smitty, what do you mean by 'main sight in' at 75yards? If you set your center crosshairs to be zeroed at 75yards you're going to be about 3' high at 20yards. ???Here's my thing as an I.B.E.P. instructor, and I don't say this at all to be condescending. Everyone has their own personal effective range. This is the range you can make a perfect kill shot 100% of the time. I like playing with my M380 at some pretty extended ranges and I can tell you the bow is ridiculously accurate beyond 100yards. That's not to say I'd shoot at an animal that far. If I'm misunderstanding your question I'm sorry. If you're asking if you can shoot freehand at an animal at 75yards and be a accurate enough that's a question only you can answer. I'll just say that a lot can happen from the time you pull the trigger and that arrow reaches your target at 75yards.
So I guess my answer to your question is Yes, the BOW is accurate at 75yards. Are you....I don't know. Is it ethical to take 75yard hunting shots? ....it depends who you ask
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
smitty54

Post by smitty54 »

paulaboutform wrote:
smitty54 wrote:going on a moose hunt /shooting exomax /517gr bolt /140ke/sighted in right now at 30yds/hitting a 2 inch square from 10 -30yds /wanna main sight it in at 75 yds /i think i should be able to hit the 8inch vital area from 0-75yds/what you think
Hi Smitty, what do you mean by 'main sight in' at 75yards? If you set your center crosshairs to be zeroed at 75yards you're going to be about 3' high at 20yards. ???Here's my thing as an I.B.E.P. instructor, and I don't say this at all to be condescending. Everyone has their own personal effective range. This is the range you can make a perfect kill shot 100% of the time. I like playing with my M380 at some pretty extended ranges and I can tell you the bow is ridiculously accurate beyond 100yards. That's not to say I'd shoot at an animal that far. If I'm misunderstanding your question I'm sorry. If you're asking if you can shoot freehand at an animal at 75yards and be a accurate enough that's a question only you can answer. I'll just say that a lot can happen from the time you pull the trigger and that arrow reaches your target at 75yards.
So I guess my answer to your question is Yes, the BOW is accurate at 75yards. Are you....I don't know. Is it ethical to take 75yard hunting shots? ....it depends who you ask
hi paul looking for the type of info you provided/as i cant doalot of woods walking due to my back/just going to sit and call and wait/i use a tri pod on my xbow/just wouldnt want to pass up a nice bull upto 75yds away/no further than that/going to try and see different penatration lengths at different ranges /to see what i think the best range would be/thx for info
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi again Smitty. Whatever distance you determine to be your personal effective range is ultimately up to you. I'll state the obvious that we all know, the closer the better. As a fellow hunter I'd encourage you to practice with your exact hunting setup, seated, tripod, broadheads, etc... not just at normal hunting range but beyond. This will show the limitations of your equipment, setup, and mostly yourself. Setup and shoot broadheads at 75yards, you may find you're hitting silver dollar size groups or that you need to be closer. I do a lot of long range shooting but have only shot broadheads free hand out to 65yards and I can smack the kill zone every shot. I can also say that's an awefull long way out there and wouldn't want to be shooting an animal that far. It does make me confident in my own ability and equipment however and that would make me feel good about a 45-50yard shot on a moose. Good luck and keep safe on your hunt. :D

***remember, shooting an animal at long range may mean you're a good shot but shooting an animal at close range may mean you're a good hunter. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
smitty54

Post by smitty54 »

paulaboutform wrote:Hi again Smitty. Whatever distance you determine to be your personal effective range is ultimately up to you. I'll state the obvious that we all know, the closer the better. As a fellow hunter I'd encourage you to practice with your exact hunting setup, seated, tripod, broadheads, etc... not just at normal hunting range but beyond. This will show the limitations of your equipment, setup, and mostly yourself. Setup and shoot broadheads at 75yards, you may find you're hitting silver dollar size groups or that you need to be closer. I do a lot of long range shooting but have only shot broadheads free hand out to 65yards and I can smack the kill zone every shot. I can also say that's an awefull long way out there and wouldn't want to be shooting an animal that far. It does make me confident in my own ability and equipment however and that would make me feel good about a 45-50yard shot on a moose. Good luck and keep safe on your hunt. :D
hipaul plan on doing ALOT of practiing/am comfortable right now at 50/just going to see how i feel at a longer yardage /only want a quick cleankill/animal deserves that much/
***remember, shooting an animal at long range may mean you're a good shot but shooting an animal at close range may mean you're a good hunter. :wink: