Range Finders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Aushunter

Range Finders

Post by Aushunter »

G'day everyone,just interested in anyone's thoughts/opinions on range finders.Also what types of broad heads you like to use or have had experience with.I use a red field raider,I have used them many years back,but man they seam to have gotten a lot better in between.Fixed and mechanical broadheads I have use a lot of different types,fixed are what I favor more purely for flight,but in saying that I also have a great deal of fun with mech ones.I'm keen to here any opinions on the 150g toxic broadheads if anyone has any to share.look forward to hearing for you.
paulaboutform

Re: Range Finders

Post by paulaboutform »

I use the toxic 100gr broadheads with 92gr or 110gr brass inserts and 18" zombies. The toxics are AWESOME. I've used slick tricks 100gr for years and for me they'd be my very close second choice. You won't go wrong with either of these two broadheads in my experience and opinion.
EDIT to add: I absolutely recommend a good rangefinder, preferably with the ARC angle compensating feature. Especially if you're in hilley terrain. It's great to have exact yardage to eliminate human error. I use a Bushnell Team Primos yardage pro range finder and it does what it's supposed to.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I personally use the Excalibur 150grain Bolt Cutters(fixed blade).I use these on an aluminum arrow,Easton(2219).I'm not shooting for speed since all my shots are 20 yards max.I get pass through on all my shots.The aluminum arrows with a 150grain broadhead blows through any foam targets I use.The arrows and fixed broadhead fly perfect.No problems hitting a bullseye out to 50 yards.Never shot further so unk how well they perform.As far as a range finder,you don't need any fancy extras.Unless you're shooting at great distances with your bow,a basic range finder is all you need.I would like to believe all your shots will be under 30 yards.Any shot further than this requires a lot of practice and perfect shot placement.Just my opinion.Most archers practice shooting at longer distances than they intend to shoot their animals at.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

rangefinders: just got a new to me leupold. this thing works in the DARK. DARK! I cant see what im ranging, but im ranging stuff! :lol: I had a bushnell before, that thing would hardly range at all. Night and day difference. literally

and it doesn't get hung up ranging items either.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I want to try toxics just cause they look so cool lol but how do you practice with them without destroying your target Paul??
Last edited by Bullzeye on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I know it's a cheap one, but the Bushnell 450 Sport has been with me now for 6, or 7 years, and it works just fine for bow hunting, and range shooting. I have checked out other Bushnell models, and was not impressed with them.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
westcoastruss

Post by westcoastruss »

Bullzeye wrote:I want to try topics just cause they look so cool lol but how do you practice with them without destroying your target Paul??

I was going to ask the same question - i just bought a set myself.
Matrix 380 Xtra
Big John Zombie Slayers
Toxic broadheads
Red & White Xcaliber strings - Oh Canada!
"Y" Munch Mount
Trigger Tech trigger
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Just got a Leupold RX-1000i and love it ! Here's a few of the features , Aluminum frame covered in rubber , 6X magnification , You can even adj. the focus ! Crystal clear and surprisingly bright at dusk . You can choose from 3 different reticles , When you range something the yardage is shown in an red display that you can adj. the brightness on . Its also small enough to drop into a shirit pocket ! I HIGHLY recommend this rangefinder !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
rolltide

Post by rolltide »

bushnell chuck adams

boltcutter head
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

8ptbuk wrote:Just got a Leupold RX-1000i and love it ! Here's a few of the features , Aluminum frame covered in rubber , 6X magnification , You can even adj. the focus ! Crystal clear and surprisingly bright at dusk . You can choose from 3 different reticles , When you range something the yardage is shown in an red display that you can adj. the brightness on . Its also small enough to drop into a shirit pocket ! I HIGHLY recommend this rangefinder !
Same model that I recently acquired. It has even more options if your a rifle hunter. Impressive machine to say the least!

But not cheap. I'm hoping with the leupold name that it will stand up well over time. I'm sure it will
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

westcoastruss wrote:
Bullzeye wrote:I want to try topics just cause they look so cool lol but how do you practice with them without destroying your target Paul??

I was going to ask the same question - i just bought a set myself.
Guys, I wish I had a better answer than what I'm about to tell you. The club I'm a member at has giant block targets and used 3D animal sections available for members to shoot broadheads into, as well as bag targets for field points of course. That's what I use because the toxic broadheads DESTROY YOUR TARGETS. I've got a rhinoblock at home but when you start seeing 8" long × 1" cloverleaf shaped foam noodles pulling out of your target you look for alternatives. Now, if I didn't have that option I would of simply check my zero at 20yards (with the toxic) if it's good I'd check 30yards, and if good I'd check 50yards. If my marks were on I'd stop shooting because I'm getting field point accuracy. Basically, I'd shoot enough to know I'm bang on then go back to field points. They are super tough on targets because you're coring them out exactly like you're coring out your deer. For me it's well worth it just for the results I've gotten. Good luck fellas. I think you'll love them when you core out your first critter.
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

I have been playing with a Leopold rx1200i and it is amazing compared to my bushnell. Much clearer, faster readings and the oled display makes all the difference in the world when it is dark out. I could probably see what I want to range with either unit in the dark but with the bushnell I could never read what the distance was (even challenging trying to look into dark spots during the daytime). The size is just a bonus, just a hair bigger than my gopro.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i use muzzy 4 blades, fly great and are cheap
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

one shot scott wrote:
8ptbuk wrote:Just got a Leupold RX-1000i and love it ! Here's a few of the features , Aluminum frame covered in rubber , 6X magnification , You can even adj. the focus ! Crystal clear and surprisingly bright at dusk . You can choose from 3 different reticles , When you range something the yardage is shown in an red display that you can adj. the brightness on . Its also small enough to drop into a shirit pocket ! I HIGHLY recommend this rangefinder !
Same model that I recently acquired. It has even more options if your a rifle hunter. Impressive machine to say the least!

But not cheap. I'm hoping with the leupold name that it will stand up well over time. I'm sure it will
Thanks for that info. I love the Luepold's but the price of their rf made me shy away. It's good to know it performs well in low light because in those conditions my Bushnell doesn't.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Paul , They are pricey at full price . I bought mine a Cabelas for 230 with free shipping . I didn't think that was too bad . There regular price is 350 .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]