What does a custom string improve?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

884savage

What does a custom string improve?

Post by 884savage »

I bought my Matrix 380 back in June, and I've shot a ton with it. Other than the premature arthritis it causes in my right hand knuckles, it's a joy to fire away with. My string will likely need replaced before Christmas, and I'm wondering what the point is to getting a custom made string. What do they improve upon? Speed, accuracy, silence, durability....???? I'd also like your personal suggestions as to who on here makes good strings and what the prices run. Thanks, and keep it polite. I'm on here for advice not to hear you bash one another. :)
cevans

Re: What does a custom string improve?

Post by cevans »

Got a anti dry fire setup on the bow? If you dry fire a Flemish string, 9 out of 10 times it will cause split limbs. Can be a bit noisier than stock string in shooting but not by much. You will pick up 10-15 fps with Flemish string which also means more foot pounds of energy in the knockdown power of the arrow and flatter shooting. Less stretch,,once its stretched out its pretty much there. I think they are made with less strands than Dacron,,could be wrong on that one. Custom strings can be made in any color and just look cool too. I think also,,they last longer. Someone else can chime in with more authority.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

A Flemish string is gentler on the bow than an endless loop string. Depending how they're made they can be louder or quieter, faster or slower. It depends what you're looking for. To avoid any fist fights I'll just say that the factory strings work fine. I personally shoot a custom string and believe it is superior. Period. Good luck and let's see the can of worms you opened asking about custom strings and builders. :shock:
SIDE NOTE: this is a respectful request please, can we please sing someone's praises if necessary without commenting on anyone else. Just a request :oops: :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
884savage

Post by 884savage »

My bow does have the anti dry fire set up. Is the original string flemish? You said dry firing a flemish string will likely cause split limbs, so you mean a custom strong offers more protection against splitting limbs in the chance I dry fire???
galamb

Post by galamb »

I think they just plain look cool because you can get them in different colours.

Ok, they can add some speed which translates into KE, but how "dead" do you need your deer to be or how hard to you want to whack a target.

I shoot a Vixen II so "every" other Excalibur offering is faster to waaaaay faster and hit harder than mine. I have never lost a deer or bear I have shot with it.

Having had taken a moose with my recurve (vertical) bow which only packs 1/3 of the KE of my Vixen II I would feel more than comfortable using it on a Moose as well.

It is natural for any of us to want to wring out every last bit of potential from our gear. A custom flemish string can help you out there.

But don't expect it to be a "miracle worker" - a well placed shot with a factory string will outperform an iffy shot with a custom string every day of the week.

(I call that the "I have air bags so I can drive reckless" phenomena)

So my vote goes to the (potential) cool factor of a colourful string above any minimal (and lets be honest, the difference between say 380 and 365 fps is minimal in the greater scheme of things for all but a limited few archers) gains in performance.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The stock string is an endless loop. It is performance materials on the Matrix line, and Dacron on the Mag Tip line up. The Matrix Strings are fast, right out of the box, and custom strings will offer a lot of other advantages with speed being not the top priority. Flemish strings are smoother shooters because they are generally heavier. The ends are heavier on Flemish strings, using more material to make up the construction than the doubled over endless design.
Several good string makers around, Boo has the most experience from what I have heard here. Good Luck, and enjoy your Matrix.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Well, that's sort of a loaded question... It depends on what you want. There are so many variables in what appears to be a simple bow string. Type of material, strand count, quality of construction....all those things play a role in how a string shoots and how it feels to the shooter and how it performs. Different materials have different properties and behave differently. You can pick the type of material you want, and you can go for low creep, soft shooting, maximum speed, quieter like with whiskers, serving type and length, choose your own colors, etc. You have a lot more options with a custom made string than an off-the-shelf string.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
cevans

Post by cevans »

884savage wrote:My bow does have the anti dry fire set up. Is the original string flemish? You said dry firing a flemish string will likely cause split limbs, so you mean a custom strong offers more protection against splitting limbs in the chance I dry fire???
I shoot a Exomax,,comes with a stock factory string. Tried the customs out and they shoot great. But I switched back to stock and glad I did as in trying out some nocturnal lighted nocks, had 3 partial dry fires as the string rode up and over the arrow as those knocks move around a bit and that is just my opinion. Never had that happen ever,,,before. but if I had the Flemish string on, (custom made) could have ended up with serious limb damage. I also,,don't have a anti dry fire on the bow either. I do notice that the stock string is more quiet on MY bow,,than the Flemish,,even without the catwiskers on the stock string. I am shooting approx.,,315 fps or so,,good enough for me,,as not into the speed game with the power my xbow already gives me of which I am very happy with the kill results over past couple of years. Every shot so far, has been a complete passthru resulting in deer running no more than 50 yds before dropping and several have been 225 plus pound field dressed big body deer. The KE is awesome enough for me with a stock string. If you have the anti dry fire on the Xbow,,your good to go on any string you shoot and don't have to worry about anything.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

The stock Matrix string is a FAST string.You can pick up a few fps by going to Danny Millers Flemish string for them, but a lot of the custom strings arent any faster. Danny makes both the stock string and the flemish for the Matrix series of bows, and they are BARGAIN priced strings. We toot a lot of horns on the forum, Danny's included, but his strings are an incredible bargain. Buy two and have a back up( you can buy two from him for less than what one costs at BassPro or Cabelas, same string )
You have had such good luck with the factory string, you know what quality he puts into his strings. Just my opinion. I have custom strings from several of the forums string makers, and they are all great strings, and serve a porpose, but you cant go far wrong with a factory string. just sayin'
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

More to custom than color.
A decent custom string is put together different than a string being produced with 'build time' at a premium.
In a custom you can expect the builder to care for each strand of the string the way he does the final product. Removing stretch and creep as its built, not as it's shot.
Serving should be expected to be the latest and strongest at the time of the build. The serving will be centered enough to satisfy even the pickiest of people.
-Break in time is greatly reduced.
-Serving will last longer.
-Consistancy will be better, if you measure in fractions.
-reserving is often free, once.
-There is a difference. Factory string works just fine too, it is more of a "feel good" modification than a performance based upgrade.
Having said that, I would ALWAYS shoot off of a custom string.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Pydpiper wrote:More to custom than color.
A decent custom string is put together different than a string being produced with 'build time' at a premium.
In a custom you can expect the builder to care for each strand of the string the way he does the final product. Removing stretch and creep as its built, not as it's shot.
Serving should be expected to be the latest and strongest at the time of the build. The serving will be centered enough to satisfy even the pickiest of people.
-Break in time is greatly reduced.
-Serving will last longer.
-Consistancy will be better, if you measure in fractions.
-reserving is often free, once.
-There is a difference. Factory string works just fine too, it is more of a "feel good" modification than a performance based upgrade.
Having said that, I would ALWAYS shoot off of a custom string.
Cant get any more clearer than that Well said :)
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

There's a lot of things they are good for, most have already been mentioned. Another thing they are good for is the economy :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

For the money plus the speed and I haven't wore one out yet if taken care of right my money goes on Danny Miller's FLEMISH STRING.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Danny Miller is an Excalibur warranty representative and knows all about Excalibur crossbow's. Give Danny a call @ (740) 483-2312.

Here is Danny Miller's last years price list. Not all of his items are listed it's best to give him a call.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Kegbelly wrote:Well, that's sort of a loaded question... It depends on what you want. There are so many variables in what appears to be a simple bow string. Type of material, strand count, quality of construction....all those things play a role in how a string shoots and how it feels to the shooter and how it performs. Different materials have different properties and behave differently. You can pick the type of material you want, and you can go for low creep, soft shooting, maximum speed, quieter like with whiskers, serving type and length, choose your own colors, etc. You have a lot more options with a custom made string than an off-the-shelf string.
X2
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]