Lets talk about camouflage patterns.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

georgiaboy

Re: Lets talk about camouflage patterns.

Post by georgiaboy »

Call me an old fart...woodlands for me. :)
I went through the mossy oak vs realtree stage 20yrs ago...spent a ton of money on it. Then i remembered growing up in the 70's & hunting with my dad and that's all he ever used. If i kill half as many deer in my lifetime as my father did using that camo i'll be a happy man. Made the switch back 15 yrs ago and a'int looked back!! :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

georgiaboy wrote:Call me an old fart...woodlands for me. :)
I went through the mossy oak vs realtree stage 20yrs ago...spent a ton of money on it. Then i remembered growing up in the 70's & hunting with my dad and that's all he ever used. If i kill half as many deer in my lifetime as my father did using that camo i'll be a happy man. Made the switch back 15 yrs ago and a'int looked back!! :D

thanks GB, I forgot what that pattern was called......I earlier called it
Block camo........my bad :oops:
but that's what I use too.
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

gendoc wrote:
georgiaboy wrote:Call me an old fart...woodlands for me. :)

thanks GB, I forgot what that pattern was called......I earlier called it
Block camo........my bad :oops:
but that's what I use too.
Memory...a terrible thing to lose. :shock:
I know how you feel!!!! :lol: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I've worn surplus Army woodland camo for years and years. In the early season when there's still a lot of green on the trees, or if hunting in pines, it works great. Realtree AP is probably my favorite pattern, it blends well in a lot of different terrain and cover, probably about 95% of my gear is that pattern. I find Mossy Oak to have too much black in it, at a distance it looks like a solid color to me, and the whole point is to break up the human outline. Use whatever works for you. I hunt out of shooting houses a good bit, and being enclosed you really don't even need camo, but it's just fun to look the part :lol:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
strum

Post by strum »

The ASAT camo has my attention. I would like to hear some more input about it from the guys who have used it..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

Kegbelly wrote: I hunt out of shooting houses a good bit, and being enclosed you really don't even need camo, but it's just fun to look the part :lol:
ain't shoot'n houses great !!! take a nap, relax, stay dry and even hide from deer.
but the best thing is......a stable rest that the window frame gives for them out-there rifle shots....... 8)
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

gendoc wrote:
Kegbelly wrote: I hunt out of shooting houses a good bit, and being enclosed you really don't even need camo, but it's just fun to look the part :lol:
ain't shoot'n houses great !!! take a nap, relax, stay dry and even hide from deer.
but the best thing is......a stable rest that the window frame gives for them out-there rifle shots....... 8)
Yep they have advantages, but usually it's the deer hiding from me :lol:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Realtree AP is my prefered pattern even though I'm usually in a ground blind.The other evening I was snuggled quietly in my blind.Near sunset a doe and her fawn stepped out into the field about 50yds to my left.I was motionless and quiet but she was instantly on high alert.I guess I need some better scent camo,her nose spotted me.She continued to look in my direction,but I don't think she could see me.I sat and watched as she moved slowly then stopped and started to stomp her front paw,then the other.Then she turned my way and started snorting at me.I assume its a defencive tactic because of the fawn.First time I have experienced that,it was fun.She finally sauntered off with the fawn in tow.I had no intention of flinging any carbon at a doe with a fawn.
Last edited by Fred T on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I'm partial to the Predator Fall Gray camo.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I`m probably going to lose the camo endorsement I`ll never get . But my thoughts are the latest greatest camo is for the hunters not the hunted .
How many of us have walked past an animal or bird that remained motionless . They weren`t wearing camo . :shock: I think the key is lack of motion when you could be seen and trying to blend into your environment as best as possible .
There is a reason why animals that are preyed upon have their eyes on the sides of their head . To have a wider field of view to spot something moving towards them .
When there is snow on the ground I have used the army shell whites .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
swany66675

Post by swany66675 »

Doe Master wrote:I`m probably going to lose the camo endorsement I`ll never get . But my thoughts are the latest greatest camo is for the hunters not the hunted .
How many of us have walked past an animal or bird that remained motionless . They weren`t wearing camo . :shock: I think the key is lack of motion when you could be seen and trying to blend into your environment as best as possible .
There is a reason why animals that are preyed upon have their eyes on the sides of their head . To have a wider field of view to spot something moving towards them .
I agree with this and I generally hunt in solid light colored earth tones.

Although I have been thinking of buying some ASAT camp after seeing an adult with some on a boyscout camping trip. Really did an amazing job of making him vanish.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I do own a bunch of different patterns . So it is not like I`m anti-camo . I believe in right pattern for each situation . I`m not going to wear white now and dark swamp patterns in winter . :shock: :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Doe Master wrote:I`m probably going to lose the camo endorsement I`ll never get . But my thoughts are the latest greatest camo is for the hunters not the hunted .
Absolutely, Modern camouflage patterns are meant to lure humans to buy.

I currently buy modern camouflage patterns which ever is on 75% or more clearance in my long/tall sizes. I buy it for the quiet cloth, but it looks only cool to people.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I think like most, any camo will work if you don't get busted moving. I like Mossy Oak Treestand as a good all round camo but sit on a ground stand or low 6" latter stand a lot, once the snow is on I prefer AP snow really easy to move in, but being thrifty have MO Winter BU, it has a little more and larger dark in it and I prefer the more white and smaller branch configuration of AP. Yes December on in good snow I think you need snow camo even if it is just whites. This is when I like hunting the best, not as easy but my time of year,,,,,,even with all the aches and pains it brings. Plus in my area, I see very few folks doing any outdoor activities in the woods.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

A lighter open pattern is what I prefer. I have many different ones. Some of the darker patterns that are less open will make you stand out like a blob.

I agree with previous post that green/brown camo is more to hide you from other hunters. If you were only trying to hide from deer; you would wear orange camo, as deer do not see that end of the color spectrum well.

I have had deer look straight at me from less than five yards when I was on the ground with orange camo during gun season, and not know I was there; as long as I was motionless, and the wind was in my favor.