Crossbow targets for broadheads?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

quickbiscuit

Crossbow targets for broadheads?

Post by quickbiscuit »

Was wondering what target(s) everyone is using with their Excalibur and broadheads. Currently I've got a Morrell Bone Collector 400 field point target that works great, but I'm having trouble finding a good target that will hold up to high speed crossbows and broadheads.

My neighbor has a Block crossbow target, but his Barnett (rated 365 fps) over-penetrates and getting an arrow out is like trying to pull a ring-shank nail out of seasoned oak. That seems to be the story with most targets. Many say they will handle 400 fps, but the user reviews say otherwise.

Has anyone found the answer? Thanks!
Excalibur Matrix 380 Xtra
galamb

Re: Crossbow targets for broadheads?

Post by galamb »

Yes, I use a "block" target from Field Logic (16" square, 12" deep) and it absolutely "eats" all but the toughest broadheads.

On a positive note it is perfect when I do durability testing of various broadheads - probably 60% of all that I have tested have "lost to the block".

But it does absolutely stop "everything" I have ever shot at it and the greatest penetration has been 10 3/4" (G5/T3 broadhead is the record holder) - so still a little over an inch of thickness left before the head would exit the back of the target.

At the other end of things a Rage II has never made it more than 6" into the target.

Surprisingly, the "easiest" heads to remove are those with fixed blades (NAP Thunderheads and Excalibur Boltcutters to name a couple I have shot).

I suspect it's because they don't move at all and come right back out the same (slices) they put in the foam whereas "some" mechanicals try and close or move etc and get "stuck" and get damaged upon removal.

G5/T3 (regular blades - practice blades remove without issue), Rage II, Undertaker/Meat Seekers were all destroyed upon removal - some that survived totally unscathed were NAP Bloodrunner II's, G5/Tekan II and Antler Insanity Battle Axe's.

I shoot my field points into a bag style target (those simply stuffed with rags). When I'm happy with the performance and bow is dialed in I try one broadhead in the block with the "assumption" that I am going to destroy the head.

If it survives then it passes my durability requirement and I can shoot it again. If it doesn't I don't want it at the end of my arrow anyhow.

If it can't survive the block I won't trust it on a game animal (and after all, you don't target shoot with a broadhead - it's purpose in life is to "kill things").
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
quickbiscuit

Post by quickbiscuit »

From what I've seen, the Block (crossbow specific) doesn't do well with speeds around 350 fps and up. Again referencing the neighbor's Barnett, even when the target was new he routinely made shots burying the fletchings in the target.
Excalibur Matrix 380 Xtra
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Rhinehart 18-1.

Shoot it with any crossbow at any speed with any head and removal is still easy.

Will take 1000's of hits.

I shoot mine with the 405 using field points and broad heads (both fixed and mechanicals) with no issues. Can pull the bolts out by hand without any special tools.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Field points i use a spyderweb crossbow target and third hand archery rag bag target. Broadheads I use the Rhinoblock. Removal is okay by hand but I would strongly recommend a Danny Miller plier puller. I'm in good shape but why make life more difficult??? Love the plier pullers :wink: The Rhinoblock or 18-in-1 will be a great bet.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Taylmatr

Post by Taylmatr »

Rinehart all the way. I have the 18-1, the rhinoblock would be great though. Only penetrates about 6" with my 330. Gander mountain has some great deals on them.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

18-1
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Riflemanz wrote:18-1
X2!!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Yolo

Post by Yolo »

18-1. x3
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

18-1 x4 :mrgreen: seeing a pattern here? :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Rhinehart 18-1
Rhinehart xbow-2-go

Those are the 2 that I have experience with and both are great. The xbow2go is more of a cube and slightly larger. At 20 yards my 380 will blow thru my shot up 18-1, and layered targets that I've tried won't stop the arrow at all
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

awshucks wrote:18-1 x4 :mrgreen: seeing a pattern here? :mrgreen:
X5
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

nchunterkw wrote:
X5
X6 :D
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Whats nice about the Rinehart Rhino block is that the center portion on two sides is replaceable, so you practice broad-heads on the removable portion and when it is finally destroyed you do not have to replace the whole block, just the replaceable portion which saves you $$$$
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

mr meat wrote:
nchunterkw wrote:
X5
X6 :D
X7...is that the same as RX-7 ??
I had one once apon a time and it was rotary BADASS !!! :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.