NAP FOC

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jeffman3

NAP FOC

Post by Jeffman3 »

I see some people have used the NAP FOC broadhead with outstanding results. Has anybody used them with an Axiom? I am concerned about the slower bow having enough to open the head on impact. If I understand things correctly, ( and I may not) these are designed to operate with the fastest bows out there. Mine is not, and just wanted to touch base with the guys that would know,,, if anybody. thank you
gendoc

Re: NAP FOC

Post by gendoc »

don't know about speed, but don't they open on impact ?
my son's friend uses them with a Barnett jackal...a 300fps crossbow
and they did fine for him last season. I think he scored 3 whitetail
during the season.
that jackal is an amazing compound for the $$ if anyone here is wondering
about a compound, the barnett jackal is the shhhh-stuff :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Jeffman3

Post by Jeffman3 »

Thank you! My concern was with the fact that head is designed as a crossbow broadhead, to stay closed under the tremendous acceleration of the fastest bows out there. I was concerned about having enough to open it upon impact with the target. My concerns have been eliminated. If it works well with the jackal, shooting roughly the same velocity, it should work with my set up too. I spoke with NAP about this too. They confirmed that this head should be just fine. I will of course have to put in some range time, to fine tune the impact of the heavier head. So I know where it is going at 20 through 50 yards, in relation to the aiming points on the scope.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

yes, you will be just fine............have a great season and keep us informed of your encounters. and above all, be safe my friend... :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
galamb

Post by galamb »

These are "really heavy" for a broadhead, coming in at 170 grains.

If you are shooting relatively light arrows these will move your front of center balance quite a bit (which will help tighten up your group) but it will knock down your speed a little and you will no doubt have to re-dial in your scope - especially if you are currently set up with 100 grain broadheads (if you have been shooting 150 grain boltcutters then a little tweak may be all you need).

If you are using an arrow (bolt) with a heavy brass insert you could end up with a very heavy arrow.

Now there is nothing wrong with that. These have three inch blades and a slower heavier arrow will absolutely help with a pass through shot (since you can't dial up the speed on your bow significantly, slug force (momentum of a heavy arrow) is "your friend".

I shoot Excalibur's "slowest" bow (Vixen II) and I have never run into a broadhead out there that I couldn't shoot effectively. Slower speed bows are less finicky, have greater error margins and have the potential to be "more accurate" than faster bows (no didn't say faster or hit harder).
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Good luck and take pics for us!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Jeffman3 wrote:I see some people have used the NAP FOC broadhead with outstanding results. Has anybody used them with an Axiom? I am concerned about the slower bow having enough to open the head on impact. If I understand things correctly, ( and I may not) these are designed to operate with the fastest bows out there. Mine is not, and just wanted to touch base with the guys that would know,,, if anybody. thank you
Normous uses a really light aluminum insert, (about 20gr?), and has a total grain weight of 400gr on a Zombie with a Lumenock. I'm thinking about switching out my brass inserts.

He'll chime in.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Normous

Post by Normous »

I use a 25 grain aluminum insert up front of my 18" Zombies with the 170 grain FOC for a 400 grain total weight. Although I use these out of the 380 and 405 I don't see any issue out of the Axiom. Theses heads do leave large holes and short recoveries in my experience.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

SEW wrote:To use the heavier broadheads(150/175g use AL inserts(20-25g or even 50 g brass) and for standard brass inserts (90,92.5,110) use 100g , or with 90/92.5 100 or 125g. Don't use both heavy or both light. Keep appx 190-220 at the tip. This isn't rocket science.
This makes sense to me however my 405 shoots deadly accurate with 92 grain inserts and the 170 grain FOC's (262 grains up front). So this is a heavy/heavy combo and the bow loves it. I am using 19 inch Zombie Slayers and with the head the total weight is 486 grains with a 16% FOC.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
cevans

Post by cevans »

what glue are you using on the aluminum inserts to keep them in the carbon shaft with that heavy broadhead?
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

SEW wrote:
Species8472 wrote:
SEW wrote:To use the heavier broadheads(150/175g use AL inserts(20-25g or even 50 g brass) and for standard brass inserts (90,92.5,110) use 100g , or with 90/92.5 100 or 125g. Don't use both heavy or both light. Keep appx 190-220 at the tip. This isn't rocket science.
This makes sense to me however my 405 shoots deadly accurate with 92 grain inserts and the 170 grain FOC's (262 grains up front). So this is a heavy/heavy combo and the bow loves it. I am using 19 inch Zombie Slayers and with the head the total weight is 486 grains with a 16% FOC.
I've found a heavier than normal front end does not hurt accuracy at all, but it does cause a faster trajectory drop. 262g up front is not tremendously heavier than 210g which is common. The use of Zombies helps, IMO, with having enough spine to be able to handle a 19" shaft/262g up front. What's on the other end of the arrow? Id think the FOC would be a little higher. Measured to insert tip or broadhead tip?
2 inch blazers on the back end with a lumenock. FOC is measured to the broad head tip with arrow balanced on a pencil.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I shoot alum inserts, carbon nocks most the time feathers sometime blazers and stay around 370grs with a fixed COC BH, foc 12 to 15% and have no problems with hitting where I aim or a pass thru, FOC is over rated. The pros are around 10 12% shooting a hell of a lot further than we hunt.
Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers