Best Rut Scents and Attractants...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Drew

Best Rut Scents and Attractants...

Post by Drew »

So I'm curious as to what scents or attractancts you all use before and during the rut. I used buck bomb last year and saw one decent buck about 20mins afterward but not sure if it was related to the scent or blind luck.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
bobcattrapper

Re: Best Rut Scents and Attractants...

Post by bobcattrapper »

Trailsend #307 smells good too! Been using some Deer dander this year also.Smells just like a deer.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I have always had positive results with Active Scrape and the dripper. I DON't put much credo in their claim that it conditions bucks to visit during daytime hours as it only drips when the temperature is rising..... usually after sunup. Having said that, it definitely gets the action going.

Last year I hung one over an and existing scrape and got videos of at least 7 different bucks checking things out and/or working the scrape. Most of those videos were during or very close to non legal shooting hours. You might say that they would have done this anyway, as a scrape was already there. That may be true, but a few of these bucks stood on their hind legs and sniffed/licked way up in the branches below the dripper, and the dripper was offset from the scrape.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've got a hunting buddy that swears by the "Buck Bomb", and he has a few nice buck mounts hanging on his living room wall. :lol:
wabi
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

We used buck bomb 2 years ago.

I had a doe bolt when she smelled it.

My buddy had a nice buck come his way. When he smelled it he ran for the hills.

Never again will we use any of that junk!!

LOL
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
wolv1001

Post by wolv1001 »

We use conquest scent's evercalm in about every situation you can think of from summer cam set up's right thru the rut.Plus, it's made right here in Michigan. (Dick's Sporting Good's stock it.)
cevans

Post by cevans »

I am like bellrivercrossbowhunter, I tried it many times years ago,,diff. products,,too many adverse responses from deer..if you use buck lure,,,does don't come in sometimes...if you use doe in heat,,does don't come in like they should,,some bucks won't either...yada, yada, and so on. I also hunt a lot of stands, cover a lot of woods for a couple of miles, and move around alot chasing a particular buck. I would have to have a lot of it spreading it all over a section of country and am sure it would have the adverse reactions I am looking for especially if I weren't there when the buck showed up. I try and stay as antiseptic in a area as possible too. I have no problems filling my tags,,it might not be a super buck that I am chasing as in most cases,,just don't get the shot I am looking for on him and won't chase him out of the area or to another hunter that might be in the vicinity also. today the wind is blowing as much as 28 mph and swirling with this intense low coming from all directions. If it were gun season I would be out,,but bow and have to hunt closer for a shot,,I am sitting in the house,,how would that stuff work for me as well. I look at me not using it as another possible mistake I might make in using it,,eliminated on a possible kill. I walked into Wally World other day,,and was totally amazed at all the stuff hanging on the wall for you guys to buy and use..its a big big market. Use away! Not me.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Drew, if you can get your hands on one or more? A tarsal gland from a harvested buck is very good.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

I've been using 307 last couple trips out. I'm becoming a believer real quick.
fredd

Post by fredd »

I never head to the deer stand without my vanilla extract. Couple big drops on the ground and buck or doe will stop them in there tracks.
Drew

Post by Drew »

>>Onetimeonly, I thought about keeping the tarsals last Sunday night but there were not very pungent.

>>Fredd, I had poured molasses around and on the carrots I had out. Attracted a fork that I didn't get shot on and the doe I ended up shooting. When I went back to collect my arrow there were two does and a big buck right on the area where I poured it around. I chose molasses as it was an ingredient in several of the deer blocks and attractants at Gander Mountain. I can totally see vanilla, rice bran, and maple syrup working.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good old peanut butter too!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:Drew, if you can get your hands on one or more? A tarsal gland from a harvested buck is very good.
This does work very well. I seen where one buck came right up to where a harvested deer have them cut off, 150 feet behind a house, right in the open LOL. They were left there by mistake.

BUT BEWARE .......... many locations do not allow the use of natural attractants any longer (must be synthetic)

A few years ago I was part of a study on deer scents with the use of trail cameras. Basically what was derived from it was that the deer would be inquisitive when they first found out what the scent was, but when they realized it was not another deer or food, they would start to ignore it. But if they associate the smell with danger they would bolt and not come in.

As for why some scents work or do not work could depend on if someone else used in your area and educated the deer to danger or not.

Tom
Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Drew

Post by Drew »

>>Tom, that sounds a lot like coyote hunting...if they come in to a call and you blow it, that yote will never get fooled again. Smart critters yotes are. If deer do the same then it would explain why big old does and big racks vanish or always seem skittish.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
rayman

Post by rayman »

Tried several things and had best luck with corn scent. It comes in granular form in 50 lb bags. :) Know I'm not funny but feel compelled to try as I've been reading McManus with my kid. :)