Matrix 380 - broadhead for deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

stoneycreekhunter

Matrix 380 - broadhead for deer

Post by stoneycreekhunter »

Hi all,

Just curious as to what broadhead people will be using on their matrix 380 for deer.

I will be using big johns zombies with slick trick xtrick 150 gr.

Thx

Mino
galamb

Re: Matrix 380 - broadhead for deer

Post by galamb »

I'm a "broadhead junkie" - test 4 to 6 new ones each year (have a 25 yard range in my back yard and lots of time to kill).

I think I can honestly say that I have never come across a broadhead from one of the major mfg's that "wouldn't" kill a deer (or some even larger animals) with a well placed shot.

So broadhead choice really "is" a personal thing - they will all do the job.

Some love mechanicals, others would rather chuck a spear at their quarry. Some like heavy to achieve greater FOC others want minimal weight.

As long as you "trust" the head you are shooting, even if it's an old Zwickey Eskimo you are more than half way to success.

So unless you want end up addicted to trying "everything new", like me (which is not cheap), trust what you are shooting until it gives you reason not to (or they stop making it - whichever comes first) :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
884savage

Post by 884savage »

I really like galamb's reply. I think he is exactly right. I have tinkered with 3 different heads this fall just because. Those have been a Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain head, a Magnus Thunder Valley, and Rage 2 blade crossbow heads in 125 grain. I've killed 3 does this fall with the Rage heads. One dead right there, one ran 40 yards, and one ran 160 yards. The one that ran 160 yards did surprise me. She was one lung center punched, and the arrow excited right behind the diaphragm. She bled a lot, and the trail was easy to follow, but it did go a long way. I drilled a squirrel with the Magnus at 20 yards, and needless to say he went nowhere. All 3 heads shot flawlessly to 60 yards with the Magnus and Rage being slightly more accurate. They have all been fired from my 380. For anyone that chooses a Rage head, please watch the youtube video on how to use it with the shock collar. I can't envision one prematurely popping if used correctly. I do think the directions on the package are less than adequate, but the video does explain how to use them. Good luck, and keep trying them out.
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

I have always had good success with the smaller diameter fixed blade models as have many of my friends. I have used the 1" 100 grain slick tricks with my conventional vertical compound bow with great success. I have tried the carbon express quad pro 1" 100 grain in my Matrix and they fly perfectly and look like they will do the job very well. They are $14.97 for 3 at Walmart. Can't see paying $35 to $45 dollars for 3 broad heads when the Carbon Express will work just as well and the deer will not be taking inventory of what I'm using when they are laying flat on the ground.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...I shoot the Spitfires 100g and love them. Like the fact that you can purchase a practice broadhead....don't understand why all manufacturers don't offer practice broadheads....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Lots of good BH's out there. Its more of a personal choice thing, Mech. & Fixed will shoot very accurately. In the past i have used Rockett Steelheads, Spitfires, Magnus Snuffers, SlickTricks, Strikers, Montec's, Toxic's. I have some Hammerheads & HellRazors & GrizzTrick2's too try out. Bet they will all shoot great.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
tammie

Post by tammie »

muzzy trocar ,i like :D
matrix 380 w grim reaper 125 grain (midevil 2) equinox w boltcutter 150 grain (midevil 1)
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Currently shooting 125 grain RamCat with 18 inch zombie slayer shaft with 110 grain brass insert . Very accurate . Also tested Sanford Innovations Bloodshot100 grain crazy accurate broadhead .
stoneycreekhunter

Post by stoneycreekhunter »

Ended up at bass pro and found the NAP FOCs 175 gr. Lets see how they compare to the slick tricks. From what Ive read, the FOCs have received good reviews.

This hobby can be expensive. :D
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

stoneycreekhunter wrote:Ended up at bass pro and found the NAP FOCs 175 gr. Lets see how they compare to the slick tricks. From what Ive read, the FOCs have received good reviews.

This hobby can be expensive. :D

....ya think? :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings