Do you hunt with vertical and crossbows?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big Woods

Do you hunt with vertical and crossbows?

Post by Big Woods »

Just curious how many hunt with both. I bought a Matrix 355 and it is the first crossbow I have ever owned. I have been hunting with mostly recurves for the last 23 years. Well I went out with the crossbow in September for the first time and was walking slowly to my tree and there were already a couple of deer in the beanfield. Long story short, I stalked up on them and shot a large doe at 30 yards. Since that evening I haven't shot the crossbow and it just felt a little too easy. I do plan on breaking it out again probably in December.

Do most of you switch back and forth and which do you hunt with more?
galamb

Re: Do you hunt with vertical and crossbows?

Post by galamb »

When it comes to deer hunting I use the "full array" of weapons.

I start the "early bow" (1 Oct in Ontario) with the crossbow (upgraded from recurve which replaced my longbow about 15 years back).

I "party hunt" with one buddy (this allows us to "share" tags as long as we are both in the field AND in contact with each other) who also shoots a crossbow (upgraded from vertical compound) .

I use my 30-06 in the gun season if I'm in a "rifle" area or my 12 gauge/00 buck if I'm in a "shotgun" area (and we still have a tag(s) left).

During the "black powder" week (early December), my traditional BP rifle (40 caliber) comes out and sees some field time (again, depending on tags).

And finish the season (which ends New Years eve) with either the crossbow (no deer in the freezer) or recurve (one in the freezer).

If spears or Falcon's were legal for deer hunting, I would try and work them in as well :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I started bow hunting 28 years ago with a 70lbs old English style longbow and homemade arrows. Shot a few black tail does then went to an 80lbs Hoyt Gamegetter II and killed all sorts of deer. Began competing nationally in 3D and upgrading compounds annually as a sponsored shooter and bowhunted all over British Columbia, Alberta, and a few bow hunting trips to south Texas. You could accurately say I was a bit of a fanatic...come to think of it, I was much like Ironoggin. :shock: Anyway, after using my first crossbow (Exomax) last year I fell in love all over again. Now, my Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 is all tricked out and setup to shoot freestyle 3D and my M380 is my deadly killing machine I'm always excited to put to work. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

X2!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I use both. I'm certainly more lethal with my crossbow, but I've shot saplings with both of them so nothing is certain. I've stalked up on a bedded deer once that was facing my direction and took it with my compound bow. It took me a half hour to close from 45 yards down to 25. The thought never crossed my mind that it was too easy. If its easy, your not close enough yet. :lol:

Duckhunt
Last edited by DuckHunt on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

until about 20+ years ago I was a verticle freak !!!, then I discovered
the ultimate recurve crossbow. never looked back.
now my son has the latest tech on the hot verts, but always comes back to
his 12yo exocet for really serious freezer storage.
my grandsons went right into crossbows. they are not interested in verts.
and i'm glad.

next.............. 8)
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
munch

Post by munch »

both for me as well
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...I am true blue to my one and only "JellyBelly"....Would never cheat on her or look at another....(that is unless another Excalibur caught my fancy)...In which case I would have a long heart to heart with JellyBelly and if she said yes I would have a JellyBelly2....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I hunt with both as well.
Killed my first deer with a Ben Pearson Shadow in 83.
I hunt early season with the compound and then switch to the crossbow.
The only exception is when I go out after small game and Coyote especially, it's with a crossbow always.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I also shoot both I shoot 3d all spring and summer with my vertical when hunting season comes in I take either one back and forth
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I used to hunt with both but now that I live in town and can't shoot or practice regularliy with the compound I tend to use only my crossbow. I also like the crossbow because the scope allows me to shoot well even with my cr@ppy eyesight. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
angelikabrown303

Post by angelikabrown303 »

I'm using both for hunting.
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

Life is way too short to hunt with only one type of weapon. I hunt with longbow( Centaur and Morrison) Recurve( RER Arroyo) Compound(two different Elites) and Crossbow(Excalibur Axiom) they all take game and are all fun to shoot.
Have crossbows will travel
the elf

Post by the elf »

Yes----------but nothing with wheels !------but not at this time.
ELF.
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

I use a compound for early season in NY. Planning on the crossbow for new 2 week season and then a .270 for gun and a CVA 50 cal. for black powder.

Hoping that NY will eventually expand the crossbow season beyond 2 weeks so then I will be just crossbow and leave the compound behind. This is the first year for crossbow in NY so it's just 2 weeks. I have seen the excitement in the stores and talked to many people. Now that the gates are finally open, I think that it's just a matter of time before the season is expanded more.

Hopefully the crossbow industry will lobby some more to get the season expanded. Also, need Excalibur to lobby to get the ridiculous 200# draw weight limitation changed in NY.