Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rmamechanic

Matrix 380

Post by rmamechanic »

First let me say thanks for posting the owners manual, that is very much appreciated, and being new to crossbows the more I can lessen the learning curve the better. However the manual has raised a minor question about my 380. The manual calls for a brace height of 1/4 to 1/2 inch and the string should be 1/8 to 1/4 inch off of the Reds. After inspecting my bow I have found the brace height is actually.55 inches. In my mind that extra 5 one hundredth of an inch is nothing to worry about, however even with the brace height being slightly over the recommended measurement the string is actually touching the Reds. Does anyone see a problem with this. I was told by the original owner that the Reds had been "grinded" and when I remove the rubber it indeed appears that the ball has indeed been ground somewhat. All replies appreciated.
quickbiscuit

Re: Matrix 380

Post by quickbiscuit »

I'm not sure where the 1/4" brace height value is coming from; that's not in the new manual posted on the website. Don't confuse brace height with the distance of the string from the REDS - two different measurements.

Your brace height should be between 1/2" (or 5/8" depending on where you read in the manual) and 1". I would be most concerned about this measurement and not so much about the distance from the REDS so long as the string is not touching the bumpers. Currently my brace height is .700" giving me a distance of roughly .220" from string to REDS. Hope that helps.
Excalibur Matrix 380 Xtra
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Grinding the REDS ball creates some extra space between the end of the ball and the inside of the rubber pads so they have a bit more 'give' and it helps the pads last longer, it has no effect on brace height. Brace height should be measured from the joint where the end of the barrel and the riser meet back to the string. On my 380 a measurement of 3/4" from the joint back to the string puts the string roughly 1/4" away from the face of the pads. If your string is still touching the rubber pads you should add a twist or two to the string.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
rmamechanic

Post by rmamechanic »

Thanks for the replies, I had printed the booklet before leaving work and had then left it at work and my home computer would not open the link so my bad memory gon the numbers confused and thanks to your replies and re-reading the manual I now know what needs doing. Thanks again, Hopefully "Queen Bee" will sting something ths weekend.