What a Hunt!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GooGoos

What a Hunt!

Post by GooGoos »

~long read~

So on Tuesday morning, my professor tells us that we don't have to come to class Thursday morning. As I am walking out the door, I smile to myself and think I can go deer hunting. The night prior before going, dad tells me of a spot I need to go sit at with my bow.

Thursday morning, I get up at 0430 and get ready. Truck loaded up, and I follow dad to the parking spot. He hands me his GPS and I was on my own from there. This is the first hunt I have done without my dad in the woods with me, as well as my first time going to a stand I never hunted before without him. The stand was only 2/10 of a mile in, 800ft, so it wasn't bad of a walk in. I get within 88ft of where the GPS mark is, pick a good tree to climb and went with it. Its just after 0700 and you can just start too see the woods. As I am pulling my bow up, I hear something no hunter wants to hear before their hunt even starts, a deer blows me. He or she got down wind of me as they were coming and pick me up.

Well I get settled in, I see that I am hunting a very pretty spot. Squirrels are very active this morning, and I can hear the acorns dropping all around me. They may have fooled me a few times thinking they were a deer. A little bit after 7 I hear turkeys gobbling, which is rare around here this time of year. Then at about 0800 I hear hogs fighting, but never did see em. Well about 0930 I go to stand up and I am watching behind me. I go to turn around and and when I do about 60yds out I see a deer. All I can see is the body back. As I am watching, he starts to walk to the left and I can deer that is a buck. He hits a sunny spot, looks at me and he is a small basket rack. So I decide I am just going to sit here and watch him. Well he feeds off and I loose him. He comes back around the way he came, and feeds into 35yds of me in all the thick stuff. So I think what the heck lets get some video! As I am pulling the camera out, he sticks he head up looks behind him, and all I see is HORNS! I put the camera away, grab my bow and wait for shot.

Next thing you know, they are fighting! I have never seen two deer do this before, only on TV, so I was pretty stoked to see this! By this time my buck fever is through the roof, and I am trying to hold my composure. When they finally quit, the basket rack feeds off and big boy slowly starts to make his way out the thicket but never gave me a shot. He follows the basket rack, I can still see him out there at 70yds. When out of no where basket rack comes out the thicket chasing a doe, grunting. Big boy of course then picks her up and goes a running with some very load and deep grunts. I loose them, then as far as I can see they hit a sunny spot. I see the doe, basket rack, and big boy. It was game on for them but game over for me. All together this happen in a period of about 30-40 minutes. I stuck it out in the stand till about 1100.

When I come out my stand and hit the ground, about 80yds out I hear turkeys start to cut up. I find my way back out to the truck and then head over to dads work to share my story. This was my first hunt actually on my own without dad in the woods with me. It was very weird, and all reality sucked. You don't realize how much you enjoy hunting with someone until they aren't there with you. Not having to share the excitement while the hunt going on. On an up side to all this, I was given my own GPS dad doesn't use anymore as like a "hey you finally did a hunt on your own finally" present.

I had a very exciting hunt, yea big man on campus gets to see another day, but you know what. Thats what makes bow hunting so much fun. Yea it sucks when they get away, but it has made me such a better hunter. If I had the rifle I would have taken a shot through an opening in the thicket, which could have lead to a bad shot. I love the challenge of bow hunting and don't plan to quit hunting with the bow anytime soon. Because you do finally get to take a shot and hit connects with the deer, its the best feeling in the world. And it makes up for all those you had to let walk.
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
GooGoos

Post by GooGoos »

*extra post* hit the wrong button
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
paulaboutform

Re: What a Hunt!

Post by paulaboutform »

That sounds awesome! I agree, great hunt indeed. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

glad to here such a story. is not about the kill . you had a wonderful hunt . :D :D hope you have a wonderful rest of the season :) :) :)
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

That's hunting. Next time things may change. Good hunting to you young lady. :D
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Now that's a great hunt. You are so right!! Some of my best and most memorable hunts were with me coming home empty handed.

Be safe and have a great rest of the season.

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Talltines wrote:Now that's a great hunt. You are so right!! Some of my best and most memorable hunts were with me coming home empty handed.

Be safe and have a great rest of the season.

Brian

...couldn't have said it better Brian...there is always another day!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

Perfect!----------that is how it should be ------------enjoying what is out there!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Sounds like a great hunt! In the woods enjoying the beauty of it all, got to watch a couple bucks spar, sounds like a good way to spend a day to me!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sounds like a fine hunt to me, you knowed where he is now so its Game on!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds like a good day to me!

I've yet to fire the first shot this season, but I sure haven't been bored setting in my stand.
wabi
cevans

Post by cevans »

Awesome experience and story and one you will definitely remember. Days like that make you want to hunt more and more as you miss the woods with those memories in your head. Enjoy your hunts and have fun and hope you get a nice one as I know you will sometime. :)
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.