New to Crossbows, Seeking Advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Knuttr

New to Crossbows, Seeking Advice

Post by Knuttr »

Hi everyone!
So for a while now I have been really thinking about picking up crossbow hunting (prob for next season) and after doing a lot of looking I think I have settled on getting an Excalibur. However, I have some doubts. The biggest of which is that I am a very short man and I'm worried that I might be too short to get the proper leverage to rope cock an Excal. Strength is not so much an issue, it is the height. Anyways, my question is which bows do all you out in Excal-land recommend? I was leaning toward the shorter Matrix 330 or looking into the new Micro 335 (though the 270lb pull does sound awfully much). Any thoughts?

Thanks!
A New Guy
way123hockey

Re: New to Crossbows, Seeking Advice

Post by way123hockey »

Welcome to the forum Knuttr. You could not purchase a better crossbow than Excalibur. I recently bought a Micro 335 and it is easier to cock IMO than my Exomax. I find that the shorter power stroke allows you to use more arm power than back power. It is also a pleasure to hold and shoot. If you get a chance, try one at a local sporting store.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
boltchucker

Post by boltchucker »

Matrix 310 or 330 short power stroke and you can shoot all day without getting tired. I have the m330 and love it.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....welcome aboard Knuttr! First let me say that I think you made a fantastic choice in a crossbow line. You surely will not be disappointed. I had similar doubts as you did. I am 5'4" and for the first couple of times out practicing I had either of my son's cocking it for me as I was worried about my two bad shoulders.

I can tell you that at my height I have no problems cocking and decocking the M380. I can tell you however that I do believe that this is the longest that I can pull without using a cocking device (which really isn't such a bad thing either if needed). You don't mention where you are from. There might be someone local who is on this forum who would be willing to meet you and help you decide by letting you try theirs.....or maybe the bow shop might.

....in any event I gave you my two cents how it relates to us height challenged individuals and the world of Excalibur!

Good luck and let us know what you ultimately decide on!

Best,

Anthony :)
Last edited by amythntr on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Excalibur is an excellent choice. Do not be scared of by the cocking process. I have the C2 cocker and it makes that part very easy.

I should add that I can cock it with just the plain rope cocker, however, I have a bad shoulder and do not want to make it any worse. So I just use the rope cocker to uncock it.
Knuttr

Post by Knuttr »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Your support is reassuring! I think Ima going to stand by and wait for spring to make my final choice (and save up some cash!). That M335 really has me intrigued.

@amythntr: I'm from North PA, near the NY border, just to let you know.
mainstreet

Post by mainstreet »

Micro all the way.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I am also vertically challenged :mrgreen:
I think the Matrix 330 would be a fine choice.
I went with the Matrix 310 because of my size, age, and previous back surgery.
Im 5' 5" - 155 dripping wet, and 57 years old.
I'm pretty confident I will be able to cock the M 310 for a few years anyway :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup: