How much is too much

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

typical10

How much is too much

Post by typical10 »

I know there are broadhead haters of most heads, so if you can only bad mouth this question please keep it to yourself please! The new rage crossbow 2 blade has the plastic collar, I have been playing with also banding the blade with the small rubbers, on a hard target they deploy fine but I'm hesitant on a deer if it might blow thru without opening and be too much holding pressure, the reason for this question is from time to time the plastic collar breaks when the arrow is too deep in the quiver and if pulled out for a second shot the head could hit the sturip. thanks jeff~
8ptbuk

Re: How much is too much

Post by 8ptbuk »

I use them and like them . I also use a 1/4 dental band with the collar to hold the blades shut . If your finding the collars broke it would lead me to believe your inserting them to deep in the quiver . JMO
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
galamb

Post by galamb »

I have done some "very non-scientific" pounds of energy to deploy type tests on a number of mechanical broadheads.

Now, I will say I have not tested the new Rage with the collars but have tested a number with o-rings, elastic bands and spider clips.

My method of testing was to snug a piece of soft leather over a old soup can - so kinda make a "drum" (should help visualize my set up).

Then place the can on a scale, chuck the broadhead on an arrow (stub about 6" long) in my drill press and slowly start winding it down to see how much pressure it takes before the broadhead "deploys".

By doing it slowly, even the cut on impact tips only pierce the leather but the "deployable" blades still (hang up enough) to get a reading when they deploy.

The absolute "toughest" heads (there was a tie at just under 15 pounds) to deploy were the Meat Seeker/Undertakers from Trophy Ridge/Rocket and the T3's from G5.

To be fair, the Meat Seekers are held at the rear with an elastic which would roll off one the broadhead has completely penetrated - prior to that it simply stretches out - but it took 14.8 lbs of (force) to expand the OEM elastic band.

The G5's, likewise, took about 14.8 lbs to (spring) the spider clip.

Rage 2's with the o-ring were about 6 pounds (IIRC) and the Rage 40 KE's, again with the o-ring were in the 4 1/2 pound range.

I can't see the new Rage clips being more difficult to "pop" than the spider clips on the G5's so you should have "tons of power", upon impact, to ensure they fully deploy IF the angle of impact is suitable.

All open on impact blades can fail to deploy if you hit at an extreme angle - the broadhead will "skate" across the skin until it finally bites in (tested this by firing at 1/4" plywood at extreme (quartering) angles.

Now, the naysayers may say, quite correctly, that if you need almost 15 foot pounds to deploy you are "losing energy", and yes you are.

My response to that is, I have shot completely through deer with my recurve which packs a "whopping" 36 lbs of KE on impact (with a Rage 40 KE requiring 4.5 lbs to open).

So, if shooting even the "lightest" Excalibur (the Vix II) which is making close to 60 lbs - a 380 is probably up in the 90's, you have "more than enough" that you can expend 15 lbs to open the heads PROVIDED that the blades are sharp and you hit at a sufficient angle (with broadside being best).

So my long-winded response is basically - shoot them and don't worry. You have enough power to open them up AND carry them through...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

You need a different quiver Jeff. I use a 4 arrow Kwikee quiver. I have yet to have the blades open and damage the collar by putting the arrows into it. Is there foam in the quiver were the broadheads go? The blades must be contacting something to have them open and break the petals on the collar.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ