Anyone ever have their trigger not work??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PABOWDUDE60

Anyone ever have their trigger not work??

Post by PABOWDUDE60 »

Tonight my son in law was out hunting. Deer were in the chase phase hard.
He had a buck come into him from following a doe after he snort wheezed at him.
He comes in ,tears up the scrape at 12 yds and his trigger wouldn't release. He even tried 2 fingers. Needless to say he was very dejected when he stopped by.
We have a trail camera set up on the scrape. The camera took two pics of the buck.He's going to pull the card after hunting.
We got the bow to finally fire but the serving was really indented from the two claws.
Bo this is one of your strings. I'll take pics when i get a chance.Would this have been the problem that the trigger didn't fire???
He's going back out in the morning.I oiled the trigger up good for him.We changed out the string to the original excal string .He shot it 3 times and it went off perfectly.
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
09 Exomax
Lumizone
Boo String
Ground Pounder Mount
Crazy Farmer Alum Camo Arrows With Bolt Cutter BHs
2016 Bull Dog 400 diablo bolts bolt cutters
NEPAbowhunter

Re: Anyone ever have their trigger not work??

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

This is a picture of the inside of a factory trigger cocked and on safe.
This is a picture of the trigger after after the safety was taken off and the trigger is pulled.
Maybe something got inside preventing the trigger from going off, and came out later. What did you guys do to make it fire?
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Boo

Post by Boo »

The trigger unit should release the latch with or without a string.
If someone has pulled the trigger hard enough with the safety engaged the trigger lever itself could be bent where it is screwed to the trigger unit. To check, take a small screw driver and push back into the trigger unit, simulating a string going back to cock the bow (do not cock the bow with the string). Then very slowly pull back on the trigger. The latch should release and the trigger lever should still come back a bit.
If the latch releases and there is no movement after, then the trigger lever is bent back.
The trigger needs just a tiny bit more movement back to release the string when the string is pulling on the latch.
In technical terms, when all is right, there should be some trigger over travel when the bow is fired.
The cure will be to either replace the trigger or bend it back forward or take the trigger lever off and straighten the shoe where the allen screws through to attach the lever to the trigger unit.
In the pic below the arrows point to the area that could be bent if someone pulled back hard enough with the safety on. That part of the trigger unit should be perfectly straight.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

I just changed out the trigger in my Exomax to a TT so I have a stock Exomax trigger I can ship to you at N/C. If you want it just send me a PM.
Wayne
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
PABOWDUDE60

Post by PABOWDUDE60 »

Thanks for the info guys.
All I did was have him put his decocking rope on and I pulled the trigger lightly. It went off but the serving was really messed up from the claws.
I'm thinking he might of had a little "Buck Fever" and didn't push the safety up completely. He's only been bow hunting these last 4 yrs. And hasn't experienced a lot of rut activity. He told me his entire body was shaking from that encounter.
He spooked a deer off the scrape this morning going in. He did pull the SD card, but I haven't seen the pics yet. He told me there are some bucks on the card that we didn't have before. I'll post some pics when I get the card.
09 Exomax
Lumizone
Boo String
Ground Pounder Mount
Crazy Farmer Alum Camo Arrows With Bolt Cutter BHs
2016 Bull Dog 400 diablo bolts bolt cutters
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Heck, I get that feeling every time a buck walks into range.
Usually my heart is pounding so hard I'm afraid the buck will hear it. lol

The thrill of the hunt. :mrgreen:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
strum

Post by strum »

PABOWDUDE60 wrote: I'm thinking he might of had a little "Buck Fever" and didn't push the safety up completely. He's only been bow hunting these last 4 yrs. And hasn't experienced a lot of rut activity.
That's the first thing I though of. if I loose that feeling I ll stop huntin :mrgreen:
maybe the serving was about gone anyway?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

strum wrote:
PABOWDUDE60 wrote: I'm thinking he might of had a little "Buck Fever" and didn't push the safety up completely. He's only been bow hunting these last 4 yrs. And hasn't experienced a lot of rut activity.
That's the first thing I though of. if I loose that feeling I ll stop huntin :mrgreen:
maybe the serving was about gone anyway?
I'm with Strum. The boy had BUCK FEVER and failed to release the safety. :lol: :lol: :lol: happens to us all at some point in our lives.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String