Help Choosing a Broadhead for Turkeys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

F250-2

Help Choosing a Broadhead for Turkeys

Post by F250-2 »

I shot my first deer (112 lb. doe) with my 380 Matrix. In fact, my first archery deer ever. I am using Diablo arrows with 100 gr. Grim Reaper mechanical broadheads. A few evenings ago, I shot a turkey with the same equipment. Feathers exploded when the arrow hit, and the turkey was bowled over. It then walked out of the field dragging both wings and had it's head down. I was not able to recover the bird. What do you folks use for broadheads on turkeys. I am aware that the loss of the bird cannot be entirely blamed on the equipment.
Pydpiper

Re: Help Choosing a Broadhead for Turkeys

Post by Pydpiper »

You may want to consider adding a zwicky Grappler to your arrow shaft. You will still get a pass through, but it slows the arrow considerably. In some situations, distance of shot and shot placement included, the grappler will prevent a pass through, increasing chances of a recovery.
Kill zone on a turkey is small, vix chic has posted some great "vital" pictures of turkeys in the past.
I have never tried a grappler on a mechanical, nor a mechanical on a turkey, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. With the exception of a mechanical broadhead not having enough contact resistance to deploy it.
Sorry about the bird, better luck on your next attempt.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I prefer to use a shotgun. :?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Use the head your most comfortable with and which has the greatest accuracy. I would also use an arrow arrestor of one kind or another. I found that if you were able to keep the arrow in the bird, it had a greater difficulty and time trying to get away. Also if the arrow stops in the bird, this means that all the KE from the arrow is transferred into the bird. I have had a 22lb Tom get bowled over and pushed 2 yards to the side after the arrow hit.

I use a Zwicky Scropios. They are spring loaded, fit nicely behind the head and slide on the shaft with tension from the fingers.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I used the FOC by nap it's a 170 2 blade they have a deer and turkey model the turkey I shot last spring went about 10 yards and that's all . they will all work if you hit em right. good luck with your choice. W M.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

It's too bad the stirrups on our bows don't fold down out of the way. I've watched some videos of Gobbler Guillotine broadheads by Atom Broadheads. They come in 3" & 4" models. They're straight four blades with a chisel tip made for head/neck shots on turkeys. The y look pretty awesome lopping the heads off turkeys. Seeing as that's not an option I'd look for the most accurate largest cutting mechanical I could find.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
F250-2

Post by F250-2 »

Thanks to each of you for replying. I'll look into an arrow arrestor. It would be nice to have one arrow set up for turkeys while sitting in a blind or on a stand. The deer and turkey archery seasons run concurrently here.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I've taken several turkeys with my Equinox. I shoot a Muzzy MX3 head with a Muzzy Grasshopper attached. You will still get a complete pass-thru with the Grasshopper most of the time. It doesn't slide down the shaft like the Scorpio.It will make finding your bolt much easier. Shot placement is VERY critical when shooting a turkey. I have not lost any yet but I have had to run a couple down and put another arrow in them.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
HellBilly-X

Post by HellBilly-X »

Dead Ringer Trauma. Check it out. Absolutely devastating on turkey's.
Axiom 175/S5's "RedRum"
Trigger Tech 2 stage trigger
Varizone Scope
Black Eagle Executioners w/2in. Blazers
Swhackers
Micro Raid 335 "Minster" aka (Mini Monster)
Trigger Tech
Hawke XB1 SR
Gold Tip Swift Pros w/2in Blazers
Muzzy HBX