How tight should the arrow retainer should be?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Twohats

How tight should the arrow retainer should be?

Post by Twohats »

I was restringing my 330 and stupidly had the rope over the retainer instead of under. never paid any attention before how tight it was,shoots fine.I just encounter another dumb question.I know my retainer is tight against the rail.I just don'twant to ruin anything..

I also noticed a big diffence in using one of Danny Millers flemish strings.Alot quieter but the 330 does shoot slower with it.I guess that is the difference, ya'll experience the same? I never thought I would like a crossbow as much as this 330.I can't believe how well I can shoot this Matrix offhanded..love this rascal

Thanks guys
boltchucker

Re: How tight should the arrow retainer should be?

Post by boltchucker »

My e/m 330 is on the rail also I have to lift it up a little bit to get the arrow started. I put a flemish string on mine don't know about speed but it sinks the arrow deeper into the target.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Should be slightly off the rail. If could damage the rail over time slappng it after every shot.
Plus the powder coating will start to chip creating a rough surface on the under surface of the contact point on the retainer.
Plus add to that every time the retainer slaps the rail it adds to the shot noise level.
DES

Post by DES »

I did that very thing myself, was not happy about it. Mine is about 3/32 off the rail.
Excal 350 SE
Stryker LS 390
Scorpyd Vent 150
cevans

Post by cevans »

put some heat shrink on it.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Here is a pic of my arrow retainer.
A little piece of shrink wrap and two bow jax arrow spring/retainer dampeners. This should help, certainly does not hurt.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Twohats

Post by Twohats »

How can I get it off the rail without damaging anything? Did you totally remove the spring arm before putting heat shrink on? And difficult is it to do?

Thanks
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Twohats wrote:How can I get it off the rail without damaging anything? Did you totally remove the spring arm before putting heat shrink on? And difficult is it to do?

Thanks
It can bent carefully up slightly. However if bent by the rope cocker then you may have to remove the scope mount completely . Remove the retainer and attempt to carefully correct the bent portion created by the cocking rope. If that fails then give CS a call to get a replacement. Which maybe your best option if the damage is severe enough.
While you have it off check the arrow contact surface for cracks or chipping. In which case a replacement may be your best option. While it is off it is also the best time to install shrink wrap if you so chose.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Jus needs enuff down force to keep the arrow snug once loaded. I have used a pencil under the spring retainer pull it up abit n ck.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Seem to recall 5/16" is the Excal #.......Just bend it up a tad, no biggie... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Tom

Post by Tom »

As the others have said, not really a set distance. It's only purpose is to hold the arrow in place, but remember that if it is too loose, when the bow is loaded and pointing towards the ground, the arrow just might slide forward a little causing a partial dry fire or not allowing a trigger release if you have a anti-dryfire on your bow.

Just need a little force, I would have it just above the rail.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Twohats

Post by Twohats »

Thanks guys.i did bend it up to where it is close but not touching and that's is with shrink on it.The arrow loads easier now and still is spot on..I really appreciate you folks answering my questions and all the great ideas offered, that is what Forums are all about... :D