Looking for a Fight....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dewy

Looking for a Fight....

Post by dewy »

Looking for a Fight…

Monday morning, 11/3, was the coldest morning of the season thus far and with the rut fast approaching I knew that I had to get out and see what the forest was willing to offer up. Without any mature bucks showing up with any regularity at our hunting spots I decided to take a chance and hit an urban 25 acre creek bottom that has always been good to me. I got in early and set up a Primos Decoy quartering to me 25 yards out from my stand with one antler on his head. Underneath of him, I put some Kishels Thrasher 2, along with Lowes Buck Butter with Estrus Scent nearby.
I performed a 30 second rattling sequence followed with a few grunts at daylight and received no response. About 40 minutes later I did the same rattling and grunting sequence and within 10 minutes I hear the leaves start to crunch, as if someone is clumsily walking through the woods, I look around and see nothing. Then there was more crunching and in walks this big bodied buck all bristled up and mad, directly off of my left shoulder. He is 25 yards out and moving in fast. He stiff leggedly walks directly under my stand, to get downwind of the decoy, and then stops 20 yards to my right and postures up to the decoy. He was doing the “sideways I’m going to whoop your butt walk” this whole time and he was ready to fight. I couldn't immediately tell how big his rack was; I just saw his body size and knew he was a big mature shooter. This is the one picture of him, on the left, that I had from earlier this summer. Then he was a no show until yesterday.
He stood quartering away from me for a bit sizing up the decoy which gave me time to grab my Axiom, put the 20 yard crosshairs on him, and put an arrow into his lungs. He immediately did a mule kick and I could see blood flowing out of the entrance wound as he took off. He only ran about 50 yards, crossed the creek, and fell directly on the truck path, how convenient.
It was an incredible hunt, where everything went, for some unknown unexplainable reason, exactly as planned. However, it was over too quickly. The whole thing lasted only 20 to 25 seconds at the most! It left me standing 20 feet up in the air wondering what the hell just happened. As I was telling my father in law yesterday, as we discussed the details of the hunt, there is no way to describe the incredible rush of emotions that overtake you after events like this happen. It’s magical.
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
way123hockey

Re: Looking for a Fight....

Post by way123hockey »

Congratulations Dewy. A very nice buck indeed.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Dewy, you're using my secret potion! Congrats on a very nice buck! You earned that deer! :D Hey, don't tell everyone about that Thrasher 2. :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

Congratulations... Awesome deer.... 25 seconds that will be burned into your memory....
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Gorgeous buck! Congratulations and great story. Enjoy the moment! :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bubba

Post by bubba »

Yes sir!! a very nice buck. It is sweet when it all comes together.Congrats and a great story to boot.................
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Dewy great buck and awesome hunt for sure.

Congrats to ya.

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Well done! Decoys are always fun. My buddy set his out yesterday when it was still dark. He climbs into stand and not long afterwards hears one hell of a smack and all he see's is whitetail take off. When it gets light enough he see's his decoy laying flat on ground!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

That is a very nice mature buck. Congratulations! Urban areas can be a gem when you find them.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Bauty deer man!!

I can't hunt untill Nov 17th with my black-powder group now. My Archery deer tag is gone & I can only party hunt with friends. Funny you wait all year for these magical 3 months & it never seems to last long enough...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...great story and awesome results Dewy....that is one nice buck you have there!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Congrats!! nice buck!! great story!!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Well done,nice buck.What broadhead did you use?It left a nice hole and looks like it blasted through some bone.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations! Great buck!
Some people just like stepping on rakes