A Great Week or So

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

A Great Week or So

Post by nchunterkw »

I been busy for the last 11 days. On Thursday night 10/30 I finally scored on deer#3 which was a small button buck. Then I took a day off on Monday 11/03 and arrowed #4 at 0750 AM. The deer were really moving and a buddy missed 2 different bucks at close range with his muzzle loader as it misfired and he just popped the caps. He was not a happy camper. I got in the climber well before light and had one "shadow" move through broadside at 20 yds but I just couldn't see. About and hour later I see movement to my right and a doe and a fawn move in. She hung up behind some brush and a tree, but the fawn went right past her into the pine thicket. I figured she was gone, but she stayed put. As she was to my right and I am right handed, the only way I could get the scope on her was to hold the bow left handed. I wasn't super comfortable doing it, but I figured I could manage. Instead of heading to the thicket, she turned and headed towards my tree. At about 15 yds she stopped, quartering to and I let fly. The shot was not great, but it got the job done. I hit her high and a little back and she dropped on the spot. Hit the spine and liver and lodged in the off side hip. Busted the guts so I didn't get as much meat out of her as I hoped. But she will still help feed people so that's good. I also learned a little bit more about aiming and close in deer from a treestand. I'll try very hard not to duplicate that shot again. Zombie Slayer and Slick Trick were perfect though and back in the quiver. Since that worked, my buddy and I went again on Friday 11/07 and I was able to pop #5. Hunted all day and was finally able to close the deal around 5:00PM. This time 3 came in from my left. I was in a different ladder stand this time. 2 kept going left but one milled around in front of me at about 35 yards. The maintenance guys on the farm were running the John Deere cutting grass in the direction that deer wanted to go, but it didn;t really seem to care. It watched them a bit then milled around eating. It started to make it's way toward the others and when she got broadside at 20 yds I bleated to stop her but she must have had hearing like me and kept walking. So I picked the next opening and bleated louder when she got there and it worked. She stopped I took my time and sent a Slick Trick/Zombie combo through both lungs. Great blood right away and for all of the 60 yards she travelled. I usually pray a lot on stand, and that night I said. "God, if I get a deer tonight it is all You, because if one comes up here with that tractor running it's only because You want it to." I guess He did, because 10 minutes later it all unfolded. But last night was the best. I took 2 new guys with me out to one of the properties we are hunting on. One is just getting back into hunting and the other guy, Will, is from Australia and just started bow hunting. I put them both in good spots and then I went off to a spot I wanted to check out. Well they both see deer, and I see nothing. Will has deer running everywhere and misses a doe at 20 yards on his first shot ever at a deer, and then 20 minutes later arrows a nice 8 pointer for not only his first ever bow kill, but his first ever deer kill. I think I was as excited as he was. Needless to say he is hooked on bow hunting. Like I said a good week or so.

Sorry this was so long.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
paulaboutform

Re: A Great Week or So

Post by paulaboutform »

Great story and thanks for sharing. Sounds like exciting times in the deer woods. Best of luck and congrats to the new guy. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Wahooooo boy hidy, you been doing some sure enuff huntin. Congrats a bunch of times to you, :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

great story .there is no reason to loose any meat if you hit the gut and it spills just rinse with cold tap water as soon as you can and the meat will be just fine .I wash out every deer I shot with clean cold water anyways .it helps clean them out and helps start the cooling very fast just be sure to us clean tap water that you will drink .not creek or pound water Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Great story sounds like you're having a great year also. I know the feeling about being excited when a love one or a friend kills one for the first time. Congrats to you all keep at it and have some more fun.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Congrats on the deer and thanks for recounting the events.
bubba

Post by bubba »

you really are having a good season... congrats I'm sure your frezzer is about full........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)