Clean miss on a chip-shot. Couldn't believe it...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

KYRidgeback

Clean miss on a chip-shot. Couldn't believe it...

Post by KYRidgeback »

Been a slow season for me so far, with several fruitless hours in the stand. That changed last night when I finally had a big older doe come in and pose broadside at an estimated 35 yards for me.

Was hunting from a pop up blind with shoot through screens, seated with a good solid front rest. Breath, sight picture, squeeze... She twitched at the shot, and a half second later spun around and ran off the way she came, across the field and into the wood line. Given the circumstances I was positive I had made a good hit, but in the fading light and through the screens, it wasn't possible to see the impact (non-illuminated) to know for sure.

I sat for 15 minutes, then quietly backed out of the area and made my way to the house. An hour and half and a nice warm supper with the family later, I went back out to start tracking... and found... nothing. I grid searched the impact area and the route she ran for over a hundred yards and never found a spec of hide nor hair nor shaft.

Totally dejected - I went back to the house and started to dry the xbow off since there had been a slight drizzle, wondering how I could have missed - or if I had somehow made a horrible shot that left no trail. "tick tick" said the xbow as I ran the rag over the scope. "tick tick"?!? After the third or fourth time, that slight noise got my attention and that's when I discovered the scope mount base was loose - and not a little! The scope base assembly could pivot up and down considerably, easily 1/4" or better front to back.

This is my second season now with this Matrix 355, and I had replaced the string and snugged all the bolts maybe a month ago in preparation for this season - none were noticeably loose then, but each got a turn with torque wrench to be sure. I have zero idea how, when or why the base worked loose. I haven't been target shooting with it since before the season started after reconfirming zero, but after each hunt I have been shooting into a block to de-cock with a practice broadhead. The night before, when I shot to unload I did notice it was 2" high at 20 yards, but I just assumed I had rushed the shot... off-hand, nearly dark and not actually trying to aim all that much. In hindsight I'm guessing that is when the sight started to manifest some play.

Argh! Snugged everything back up today and re-zeroed. Was hitting 8" low at 20 yards initially. So that tells me the scope had at least 10" inches of vertical play @ 20 yards - likely more - which would have been even more exaggerated at the 35 yards I shot the night before. So, while I am confused as to how it happened, and frustrated with myself for not catching it before pulling the trigger, I feel better knowing that in all probability my shot sailed over or under my doe.

Long story short: check those fasteners - again. :cry:
Kegbelly

Re: Clean miss on a chip-shot. Couldn't believe it...

Post by Kegbelly »

That's a bummer, sorry to hear those loose screws caused a miss. My scope rail screws worked loose a couple times and did the same thing, POI dropped. Replace those 4 screws with socket cap screws or torx screws, use some blue Loctite and let it cure overnight, and you won't have to worry about it again.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....not knowing if this adds anything to your issue...and again I don't know what BH's you are using...but i remember reading the instructions to my shoot through windows on my blind...it said that the windows were not designed to be shot through with mechanical BH's...Maybe i am adding something or maybe not....

I wound up cutting a 4x6" rectangle in my "shoot through" windows since i shoot 100g Spitfires...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
KYRidgeback

Post by KYRidgeback »

amythntr wrote:....not knowing if this adds anything to your issue...and again I don't know what BH's you are using...but i remember reading the instructions to my shoot through windows on my blind...it said that the windows were not designed to be shot through with mechanical BH's...Maybe i am adding something or maybe not....

I wound up cutting a 4x6" rectangle in my "shoot through" windows since i shoot 100g Spitfires...

Anthony :)

I'm using fixed 150gr bolt cutters.

I did previously confirm that they zip through the mesh without a noticeable change to POI.
strum

Post by strum »

Pull the screws and clean them well and the threads to degrease.. used a small amount of blue loc-tite. Tighten using a 3/32" driver in a 1/4" ratchet or nut driver ..let sit over night. Throw the factory allen wrench away.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
kmaxwell5

Post by kmaxwell5 »

It happens. I missed one while back at 8 yards because I forgot to aim a little low. :(
galamb

Post by galamb »

I would check for an open window.

Might have been someone from PETA who snuck in a loosened your scope :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
KYRidgeback

Post by KYRidgeback »

strum wrote:Pull the screws and clean them well and the threads to degrease.. used a small amount of blue loc-tite. Tighten using a 3/32" driver in a 1/4" ratchet or nut driver ..let sit over night. Throw the factory allen wrench away.
Yep - this is the plan.
KYRidgeback

Post by KYRidgeback »

galamb wrote:I would check for an open window.

Might have been someone from PETA who snuck in a loosened your scope :lol:

That would make more sense than how 4 bolts got so loose so quickly!

But somebody would have to run quite the gauntlet to get in here undetected... unless it was an inside job... :idea: Off to check the wife's purse for allen wrenches! She says she wants the freezer stocked but I know she is awfully fond of her "woodland creatures"!
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

This is the first year with my Matrix 380, and the base screws loosened on mine too. Fortunately, I found them while practicing and not hunting.

Loctite is my best friend!