Deboning a Hind Quarter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grizzly72

Deboning a Hind Quarter

Post by grizzly72 »

If this isn't a good thread here, Please just delete it.

What is the best way to debone the hind quarter and cut into steaks, I had an old butcher show me years ago and its always a wrestling match for me. I am just looking for a better way.. How do you do this for folks who process there own deer.
bobcattrapper

Re: Deboning a Hind Quarter

Post by bobcattrapper »

Hard to expain in detail how to do it.Buy the DVD by Outdoor Edge called Deer and big game processing Volume 1. He will show and explain how to do it so you can actually understand it.Some of the dvd out there go to fast or skip something at least the ones i've watched.This one is the best i've seen.i use it as my referance guide now if i need a refresher now and then.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Just Google: boning out a deer. Wealth of instructional videos on U tube you could watch for hrs. I have my own methods but picked up some great tips there
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

I have been doing it this way for years....I hang mine by the rear legs, then cut into from the front of the deers legs as if it were standing....then just above the knee joint 90 degrees to the bone I cut to the bone and turn blade to run in up the thigh bone to hip joint and then cutting out....then I have the bone exposed to get a smaller knife in and around the bone and one big hunk of meat from each hind quarter....

I have been doing it lately by separating each hind quarter muscle group and cutting it off at the ends of it, I find it easier to cut 3/4" steaks from them after removing any silver skin then....all the trimmings from the steaks go into stew/stir fry chunks :wink: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.