Deer Shoulders ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Deer Shoulders ?

Post by vixenmaster »

How many of y'all shoot yer deer through the shoulders. Its one of my favorite shots, right now i have a bunch of testin BH's too shoot up. I use to take my fixed BH's & logs i used fer arrows to shoot deer thru the shoulders. I am goin to do abit of research to see if'en any mech. BH's have .035 or thicker blades. I would try them out on them shoulders, :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Re: Deer Shoulders ?

Post by paulaboutform »

Whenever possible I try to wait for the broadside or slight quartering away shot just to minimize the amount of ruined (bloodshot) meat.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bubba

Post by bubba »

My grand daughter shot one the other day using dads m 380,and 100 grain slick trick mags at around 30 yards. broke both shoulders my son had to cut her neck to end it.... said he recovered the broad head and it was fine just needs to be sharpened again......................
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
wabi

Post by wabi »

Only when I'm using 300 grains of lead.
wabi
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I try to avoid shoulder shots when I can, especially with a rifle, it ruins a lot of meat.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

X2 what Keg said.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Drew

Post by Drew »

I've been reading Ashby's literature on penetration and am seriously contemplating trying a large single bevel 2 blade broadhead. The traditional vertical bow guys (Peterson, Bear, Ashby) had no issue taking all many of creatures with these. And the article I've attached seems to make a good argument. The "L" cut created by these seems way out of proportion to the size of the head.

I just started researching this as with my two deer this year shot with ST 100 Mags, I was not that impressed with the blood trails. Even the low heart shot didn't leave much of a trial.

http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/PR/Sing ... dheads.pdf

http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Silver- ... s-C58.aspx

The biggest questions is will these large single blade heads fly true at crossbow speeds.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Kegbelly wrote:I try to avoid shoulder shots when I can, especially with a rifle, it ruins a lot of meat.

Tough call. I have not tried a shoulder shot with a bow. I have used a shoulder shot with a slug; no tracking was needed, but it did ruin a lot of meat. I would probably not try it with a bow for fear of a non-lethal wound. With a gun it would depend on where on the property the deer was, and which way I expected him/her to run.

Hitting that buck in the spine was a quick drop and did not seem to ruin much backstrap, if any...but that was a mistake and I would not "aim" for the spine; not a reliable target, IMO.

A lot to consider when lining up a shot in the window of a few seconds.....my default target is always the vitals, not the shoulder.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I too subscribe to many of Dr Ashby's ideas. But since we are only shooting deer I figure some of it would be overkill. So I compromised on a Magnus 2 blade double bevel. I can shoot those heads very accurately to 40 yds from my Vortex.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I normally try to avoid the shoulders with archery gear. Though my son did kill his first doe with my ExoMax by shooting through both shoulder blades. My only complaint is that due to it being a bone hit, the deer ran like her butt was on fire. Fast deer can leave spotty blood trails.

Now with a rifle or muzzleloader, I normally shy away from the shoulder to save meat. But, if I want to anchor the deer right there then the shoulder is one way to do it. Many times its feet to the sky as their back hits the dirt. I've never had one go more than 20 yards after a shoulder hit.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I avoid the shoulder shot at all costs but if I wanted to shoot there I'd use my bear 2 blade head out of my 355.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onegunguitar

Post by onegunguitar »

The last two deer I shot this season were broad side,straight up from the leg about 1/2 way up......double lung shots and both only ran 30 yards and down they went. :D :D
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I try to miss the shoulders also!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I avoid the shoulders with all gear (gun & bow)> it is a meat killer... LOL
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.