Best lighted reticle scope for my Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Re: Best lighted reticle scope for my Matrix 380

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm using the Leupold VX-R in 3-9×40 with the ballistic firedot reticle. This is absolutely the best scope I've used and once I got over the shell shock of the price I saw why they're so popular. I got the 3-9×40 because it cost less than the 2-7×33. I also use an HHA Optimizer and wouldn't own another crossbow without putting one on it immediately after purchase. They're that good.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Does anyone know of weight for optimizer?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hunt it wrote:Does anyone know of weight for optimizer?
I just googled it and someone on archery talk said it weighed 7.2oz. I didn't notice excessive weight or unbalance on my m380 but it is heavier. Imo the benefits far outweigh the negatives. The only possible negatives, which I don't even notice, are the extra weight and the raised scope which will change your cheek weld.
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

Hawke XB30
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Hawke XB30

Dave at Wyverns had the old model at reduced price a few months ago, $129?. Give him a call to see if he still has any left.

I actually like the crosshairs without the red or green light, however, if you need that feature, this scope is fantastic for that.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

From what I've read Hawke is only one step up from reg excal scopes. I'm wanting reliable - so one notch up is not there for me. I'll head leupold or Vortex so far. I have a crossbones and love it but need light option for hog hunting. The 2-7 leupold VXR and the Optimizer weigh about same as Vortex crossbow scope. Just not sure about the height issue with optimizer and the make one more adjustment prior to shooting with optimizer. Works great at range but in the field??? I knowe HHA make good stuff as I have had sights on compound way back when.
Normous

Post by Normous »

We use the Leupold 2-7 VX-R with the Firedot reticle on the 380 and 405 and hands down it is the best scope that I have ever used on my Excalibur.

At only 12.5 ounces one gets a 30mm maintube with crystal clear glass and a fine adjustable dot.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hunt it wrote:From what I've read Hawke is only one step up from reg excal scopes. I'm wanting reliable - so one notch up is not there for me. I'll head leupold or Vortex so far. I have a crossbones and love it but need light option for hog hunting. The 2-7 leupold VXR and the Optimizer weigh about same as Vortex crossbow scope. Just not sure about the height issue with optimizer and the make one more adjustment prior to shooting with optimizer. Works great at range but in the field??? I knowe HHA make good stuff as I have had sights on compound way back when.
HHA OPTIMIZER Answer: It is the cat's pajamas for 3D and target shooting and even better for hunting! ....in my opinion. :D I have my yardage dial set at 33yards. This puts me, with my setup, 2" high at 20yards and 2" low at 40yards. In other words, from 0 - 40yards I don't have to adjust or set anything. It worked out great for my little 40yard spike mule deer at last light back in September. Once you've got it I don't see looking back.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Since the discussion went the way of optimizers and lighted reticle scopes, I'll share what I'm using.

I have a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 with the SPR Firedot. It's a tactical scope weighing in at a puny 9.6oz. I have reticle aim points that are perfectly aligned for a 20-30-40 sight-in.

If I feel like it, I can us the tactical adjustment turrets to dial in for longer distances. Being that it's hunting season and my max effective range is only 40y, I don't really need to use this feature...but I do use it anyway. I like to range the spot the animal is stopped at and dial in that exact distance using the turret. If it's 37y, I can be that precise and dial in for that yardage. It's like having a built in HHA without the added weight and higher cheek weld. In fact, this scope is about half the weight of an XB30 with that bulky mount.

The illumination is perfect. No it does not offer multiple illuminated holdovers like the XB30, (which to me defeats the purpose of a lighted reticle when you can't see the damn target), but with my setup, I just dial in the yardage and the Firedot follows.

The VXR Patrol and VXR Zombie scopes are very similar in features, but about twice the cost of a Mark AR.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits