Matrix Flemish String

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hotdog

Matrix Flemish String

Post by hotdog »

Do you gain many fps using a Flemish string instead of the stock string that comes on the Matrix 380? The Flemish is one of Danny Millers.
Bulldog 440
Matrix 380
Munch Quiver Mounts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
vixenmaster

Re: Matrix Flemish String

Post by vixenmaster »

Most of the Flemish on the Matrix models come in a few fps slower than the Factory string usin the chrony i had testing this summer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
hotdog

Post by hotdog »

I always thought the flemish strings where faster. Thats what I like about this site,you guys are a big help. It must have been my equinox that I was thinking about being faster with a flemish string.
Bulldog 440
Matrix 380
Munch Quiver Mounts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The Mag Tip bows came with Dacron strings, the Matrix models come with D97 material which is faster, and less forgiving.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I think Boo posted a while back that Danny Millers Matrix Flemish will gain you about 2-3 Fps. Most others won't gain any speed. I think strand count the diff.
turbo

Post by turbo »

I am shooting a Danny Miller string on my 380,and according to my chrony I gained 6 fps over stock string.I am using stock arrows and 125gr points.Chrony says 365fps multiple times over it.
If that helps :)
LIVING THE DREAM
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Lighter string/smaller dia string equals more FPS. Flemish is for looks :D
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
hotdog

Post by hotdog »

Will a flemish string help gain more fps on my Equinox?

I have a f/s ordered from boo for my Matrix. Will his strings shoot faster on these bows? I'm still learning about the different strings used on these crossbows. Thanks for for the help.
Bulldog 440
Matrix 380
Munch Quiver Mounts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

hotdog wrote:Will a flemish string help gain more fps on my Equinox?

I have a f/s ordered from boo for my Matrix. Will his strings shoot faster on these bows? I'm still learning about the different strings used on these crossbows. Thanks for for the help.
Danny's Flemish Strings are light and fast ! Lighter the string the faster they are ! BUT you pay for that speed with increased shock and vibration . I think you'll be very pleased with Boo's String !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

hotdog wrote:Will a flemish string help gain more fps on my Equinox?

The one I have ( Boo's ) required a speed ring adjustment now maxed out at 350.

You may want to consider a Guardian Anti Dryfire in addition.
Dryfire with a flemish and your limbs may not like it.
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

My findings have been the same as vixenmaster's. Over the last 10 or more years I have built and tested all types of strings on my stick bows and most recently crossbows. Flemish twist is usually a tad slower then endless loop but the differences are miniscule.
Have crossbows will travel
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've read through this entire post and it doesn't seem like anyone is addressing the real reason(s) for velocity variation.

There are two methods commonly used for string construction - endless loop and flemish twist. The strings are actually very similar in performance when made of the same material.

The big difference that affects velocity is what string material is used to construct the string!

Back in the "old days" (mid 20th century) dacron was the common material used for string construction. It's relatively tough & long lasting, but it does have some elasticity. Then new materials came on the scene. Commonly called "fast flight", but today there are several materials that fall into that general category.

Think of the older braided dacron fishing line compared to today's modern "super lines". The old dacron had stretch, but the modern lines have almost no stretch and a much greater strength for the diameter. A new super line the same diameter as the old dacron will be several times stronger.

For bowstring construction the same principals hold true. A string made from one of the new materials can be much smaller in diameter than one made of dacron to arrive at similar strength which will mean less weight and more speed. Also there is much less elasticity, so more of the energy from the bow limbs gets transferred to the arrow, also adding to velocity.

The trade-off is that the new materials absorb less of the shock when the limb travel is halted by the string. That means more noise & vibration and more stress on the limbs (especially the tips at the string groove).

I'd compare it to jumping off a bridge with a bungee cord tied to your ankles ans compared to the same jump with a steel cable. The bungee cord is going to make the stop a lot less stressful! :lol:

It doesn't really matter that much which string design (endless loop or flemish twist) is used, it's the material the string is made of that has the most effect of performance.
wabi
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Wabi is bang on. Great info. I'll also add that the number of strands used will affect speed. Also string weight will affect speed. It comes down to your wants and expectations. You can get a super fast string or a super stable, much quieter string with less perceived shock. Generally, I've found with all archery setups, for everything you gain there's something you lose. Think about what you want, ask people what type of string they use and why, and maybe try a couple strings for yourself. When you find what you're looking for, buy a second one as a backup. Make sure you shoot in both strings so there will be minimal settling if you need to use it. Good luck. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hotdog

Post by hotdog »

I just put one of Danny Millers f/s on my Equinox to let it stretch some, but haven't had time to shoot it yet.

I also bought one for my Matrix, and will put it on to see how I like it after season goes out. The only thing I don't like about the e/l that came on the Matrix, is it stretches like a rubber band. I have over 100 shots on it, and it still hasn't settled in. It seems to be very fast, but I just wanted to try a f/s to see how I like it until I get the one I ordered from boo.
As always I want to thank everyone that has took time to help me better understand about the difference in these to strings.
Bulldog 440
Matrix 380
Munch Quiver Mounts
Leupold Crossbones Scope