Targets

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OhioXBowhunter

Targets

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

When I got my 405 a couple of weeks ago I purchased a Rinehart 18-1 target when I was sighting it in last weekend I shot 2 bolts and could not get them out of the target. Tried everything it was like they were glued into the target. I contacted Rinehart and they gave me a few ways to get the bolts out, and I also reviewed some old post and tried everything still no luck and ended up with two broken arrows. I contacted Rinehart again and they ended up sending me a new target, the one with the boken bolts in it was shipped back to them. I was shooting the Diablo bolts with field tips at 20 yards. They also advised to use lube when using the target with broadheads until it loosens up and try not to shoot into the target when its cold. I didnt have any trouble with the broadheads but I did not shoot any more field tips. While waiting on the replacement I bought a Morrell Bone Collector (block bag style) and have had no problems with field tips and it is very easy to remove the bolts.Now Im using the Morrell for field tips and the Rinehart for broadheads. Anyone else had had success with other targets.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
awshucks

Re: Targets

Post by awshucks »

I had the same 18-1 problem, sans the broken arrows. It took all a buddy and myself had to pull them w/ a pair of Danny Millers arrow pullers.

My new[er] 18-1is problem free.........and I use a series of Morrell bag targets for field points.

It was a combo of the finish on the shafts and rubber composition glueing them in.

Welcome to the forum!
"Eze 18:21"
Wisc Mac

Post by Wisc Mac »

When I bought my 380, I brought it home excited to shoot and buried a Diablo with a field point into a Cabelas Fiber filled bag target. It stopped just short of passing thru with the fletching buried inside. It also had melted fibers to the field point and side of the arrow.

Next I bought a Field Logic Block, it did a great job stopping the arrows, but found it next to impossible to remove remove. Pulled a couple nocks out using the Excalibur screw in bolt puller. Lubing the arrows and switching to an arrow puller helped but was still a lot of work.

Ended up buying a Spyderweb ST 24. I ended up spending a bit more than I would have liked to, but boy it does a great job stopping arrows yet it's a 2 finger removal. Could not be happier.
Matrix 380 Xtra
Winchester Model 94
Benelli SBE II
ijb

Post by ijb »

I have a Bulldog Double Dog target. I really like the size of this target as I can mount two 5 spot bulls eye targets on it side by side. This allows me to shoot at a total of 10 bulls eyes without ever aiming at the same spot, which is great for saving arrows (I never have to worry about a Robin Hood).

I shoot alu. 20" 2219 arrows with field points. About 10% of the time, an arrow will go through the target up to the fletching which is annoying as it messes up the fletching. Other than that, the target works well. I have found that applying a thin coat of silicone spray to the arrows and then wiping dry makes them much easier to pull from the target. Once in an while I have to lie the target on the ground and put my foot on it to get enough leverage to pull out a stuck arrow, but that is fairly rare. I've never had an arrow that I could not remove by myself with some level of effort.
Matrix 380
Trigger Tech 2.5# 2 stage trigger
Redfield Revenge scope
C2 crank
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Call me cheap but I make my own bag targets for field points from poly tarp type material and stuff with old rags and such. They're basically free. IMO Rineharts are too expensive to shoot up with tips, I use mine exclusively for broadheads.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Firstly, I wouldn't be without a Danny Miller plier puller. I use a SpyderWeb target in my yard and a third hand archery rag bag target in my shop for close range testing. It's much gentler on the arrows than the SpyderWeb. I use a Rinehart rhinoblock for broadheads as well as a block and old 3D targets. I don't shoot my toxics into my rhinoblock because those things destroy targets. Get the plier pullers and buy some woody's arrow lube for the first inch of your arrows and you'll be good. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I've stated this over and over, the friction of high speed bows is melting the paint of the logo on the arrow. The paint then dries fast before you can pull arrow and creates the bond you are having trouble with. Lube and puller all good on top.Take acetone on rag and it will remove all writing on shaft! Good to go! This makes it easy to keep hunting vs practice Rrows straight, ones with no logos are practice.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Hunt it wrote:I've stated this over and over, the friction of high speed bows is melting the paint of the logo on the arrow. The paint then dries fast before you can pull arrow and creates the bond you are having trouble with. Lube and puller all good on top.Take acetone on rag and it will remove all writing on shaft! Good to go! This makes it easy to keep hunting vs practice Rrows straight, ones with no logos are practice.
X2. First shot with broadheads tipped Zombieslayers into a brand new Rino block "welded" the Zombieslayers label to the block! If the mental picture of my fat bald ar$e standing on the Rino block pulling with both hands on my Danny Miiler arrow pullers doesn't crack you up nothing will! :lol: :lol: Labels must go!
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

TTT for cdwester