Getting set for a 405.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MickB

Getting set for a 405.

Post by MickB »

Hi All, I am fairly new to the forums but had some experience with unscoped excal models from a few years back. I have decided to get a scoped 405 and wondered if some of the experienced folk might be able to assist with a few questions?

My plan is to use range finder and graduated fixed power scope with 1 bolt type for all hunting(mostly hogs, some goats, wild cattle). I am a bit rusty on the theory but I am assuming with enough graduations on the reticle I should be able to experiment where I am at from 40-80 yards for most hunting or fun shooting. This rather than using the various dialling/device setups. Does this make sense and if so can someone recommend a fixed power graduated scope and range finder that might go well together?

Also where might I get the latest instructions on setting the bow up correctly before shooting( regards brace height issue). I am in Australia so a long way from being able to send things back if I cause damage.

Thanks!
paulaboutform

Re: Getting set for a 405.

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Mick. I'm not sure what you mean by graduated fixed power scope? It sounds like you don't want an HHA Optimizer (which I think is fantastic and highly recommend) but you want a scope with hash marks that you can setup out to 80yards. In order to set up the hash marks you will need a variable power scope. That's all the speed ring is on the Excalibur scopes. As you increase or decrease the magnification you can see the space between the hash marks come closer together or further apart. I believe the scope that comes with the 405 will get out to 60yards but depending how you set it up you could stretch that out by zeroing in are 40yards. That wouldn't be my first choice. Do you want the option of a lighted reticle? I recommend this also but that's my preference. I think Ironoggin shoots a Hawke XB30 scope and I know he shoots out to 100yards. Also, if you're planning on long range shooting, and 80yards falls into that, you'll also need a good quality arrow such as Black Eagle Zombie Slayer arrows with 80,92, or 110grain brass inserts depending on the weight of broadheads you plan to shoot. They will need to be properly assembled and squared and grain matched to achieve consistent long range accuracy. I've dabbled in this a little myself. Anyway, I just wanted to give you a little food for thought. Also, seeing as you're across the pond, I also suggest having a higher quality scope than is offered with the excals. My preference is the Luepold VX-R with the ballistic firedot reticle but I've heard good things about the above mentioned XB30 scope. Good luck. Don't hesitate with any questions. There are a lot of seasoned pros here that will be glad to pass on their wealth of knowledge....oh, one more thing, order a couple extra strings and make sure you DO buy the stringing aid. This is an absolute MUST HAVE to maintain and keep your bow properly adjusted. I think that's it. :?
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
paulaboutform

Re: Getting set for a 405.

Post by paulaboutform »

Oops. Sorry about the :? face, it was supposed to be the :D . I hit the wrong button. :oops:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.