New scope ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mason34

New scope ?

Post by Mason34 »

I'm trying to decide between the Nikon Bolt or the Hawke XB1 compact for my Micro. Does anyone have a good reason to buy one over the other. Thanks in advance! By the way I'm new to this forum have been a member over at AT for a while but I really like the tips and advice you get from here.
Micro 335,Nikon Bolt, Xcaliber(Dan) strings and 15.5 Zombie Slayers!!
Bow Hunt Everything!!!!
xcaliber

Re: New scope ?

Post by xcaliber »

I have the Bolt XR, great glass, but the reticles do not adjust to your bow speed. It is not a big deal, but does require a bit of tweaking to get your hunting ranges where you like them. With the 358 grain bolts, my 20 / 30 yards line up nicely, the next chevron is 45 yards! If I use the top of the circle, it is just right for 40 yards! My buddy is a Hawke man, and he will tell you go with the Hawke. I like the Nikon!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
galamb

Post by galamb »

Between those two I would buy the Hawke.

Why?

Because Hawke has a free, downloadable ballistics software package that has all the reticles pre-loaded for the all their scope offerings.

If you want to know your trajectory at 47 yards, it will tell you, plus your speed, KE, hold over in MOA, adjustments for the scope - on and on.

Both have a lifetime warranty but only the one from Hawke is transferable (nice bonus if you ever want to sell it, pass it along to someone else).
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
bubba

Post by bubba »

I would also go with the Nikon bolt xr.... It to has downloadable info on how to set up once you know the speed of your bow...Just go Nikon scopes.com But the real deal is in the glass Nikon smokes that Chinese glass. Can't beat the clear optics...If you have a chance go to a big box store and compare you will seeee what I mean!! .............................
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Mason34

Post by Mason34 »

I'm leaning toward the Nikon my buddy has one on his Barnett and it is very clear
Micro 335,Nikon Bolt, Xcaliber(Dan) strings and 15.5 Zombie Slayers!!
Bow Hunt Everything!!!!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I'm also in the market and have been looking. Here are some thoughts.
Hawke XB1
I have an XB1 and like it a lot. You can adjust the reticle to your bow speed and it has a lighted reticle for low light. Also has the ballistics sw. They have other offerings, but the illuminated reticle is very nice.

Leupold Crossbones
I hear good things. Has an adjustable speed ring but is not illuminated. Some say the 30, 40, 50 yard marks on the reticle are hard to see at low light because they are small.

Nikon Bolt
I hear good things too. It is not adjustable and is not lighted. For me I think I would not like the reticle as it is small circles, but that personal preference.

Redfield Revenge
Looks pretty good and is at a very good price point ($79 on Midway) Adjustable but not lighted. Have not heard too much about it though.

Excal Vari-Zone
I have 2 of these as well and have no issues. Adjustable but not lighted. ALso only adjustable in 2 MOA increments. Not a big deal for hunting accuracy, but a bigger deal for target/3D I think.

I'm sure there are others but these are some I am considering. I am leaning towards a lighted reticle though as it is late season now and things seem to be moving rather late in the day and that reticle really helps. It is also perfect for hunting hogs - which we do at night.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Redfield Revenge is an outstanding scope. It is bigger than the VariZone but I finally put it on my 355, none better in my opinion!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ijb

Post by ijb »

I got a Redfield Revenge for my 380 after getting frustrated with the Tact-Zone. For $80, it was not much of a gamble. I am very impressed with the Redfield. The optics are very bright even in low light. The eye relief is not quite as large as I would prefer, but is still much better than the Tact-Zone. Overall, at the price, I don't think you can go wrong or do better.
Matrix 380
Trigger Tech 2.5# 2 stage trigger
Redfield Revenge scope
C2 crank
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I loved my Vari-Zone, but once I mounted the HHA I started shooting the Redfield Rev. Nice optics and it's holding up well through quite a bit of shooting.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

VixChix wrote:I loved my Vari-Zone, but once I mounted the HHA I started shooting the Redfield Rev. Nice optics and it's holding up well through quite a bit of shooting.
I'm guessing you sorted out your issues with the HHA? What was the final fix? Mine setup in a snap on my M380.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I use my Equinox for hunting only and have the Nikon Bolt Xr scope set up for x-hairs at 25 yards which I use for 20 to 30 yard shots. The first circle is for 35 to 40 yard shots & I don't shoot over 40 yards when hunting. these are the stats for the Bolt:
2. Specifications
Model Bolt XR 3x32
Actual Magnification 3x
Objective Diameter (mm) 32
Objective Diameter (in) 1.26
Exit Pupil (mm) 10.7
Exit Pupil (in) 0.42
Eye Relief (mm) 86.4
Eye Relief (in) 3.4
Tube Diameter (mm) 25.4
Tube Diameter (in) 1
Objective Tube Diameter (mm) 39.3
Objective Tube Diameter (in) 1.55
Outside Diameter of Eyepiece (mm) 41
Outside Diameter of Eyepiece (in) 1.61
Adjustment Graduation 1click : 1/4" @ 20yd
Max Internal Adjustment (Elevation & Windage) *(moa) 150
Parallax Setting (m) 18.29
Parallax Setting (yds) 20
Field of View at 100yds (ft) 35.6
Field of View at 100m (m) 11.87
Length (mm) 205
Length (in) 8.1
Weight (g) 285
Weight (oz) 10.1
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

paulaboutform wrote:
VixChix wrote:I loved my Vari-Zone, but once I mounted the HHA I started shooting the Redfield Rev. Nice optics and it's holding up well through quite a bit of shooting.
I'm guessing you sorted out your issues with the HHA? What was the final fix? Mine setup in a snap on my M380.
Several non-related issues needed to be resolved. The main issue with the HHA and the scope was that I needed to shim it. I was trying to avoid shimming, but that did the trick. We're rockin' the 3D course now. :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

VixChix wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:
Several non-related issues needed to be resolved. The main issue with the HHA and the scope was that I needed to shim it. I was trying to avoid shimming, but that did the trick. We're rockin' the 3D course now. :lol:
Excellent news! .... now get out there and rip up those courses! :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Got the XB1 Hawke on my rig, nothing bad to say bout it, wish it was brighter. The Nikons are nice, they hav great glass , great light gathering . . . and don't worry bout the yardage thing w/ the bolt, never seen a deer step up on the 20-30-40 :lol:

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly