380 questions....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Knight

380 questions....

Post by Knight »

Just looking for a bit of info....

Just put my new 380 xtra together.

I have a target that I used with my exocet, will this work for the 380 or should I get another target. If so, which do you recommend.

I am just using the stock arrows to start. What broad heads do you recommend. I used 100 gr slicktricks with my old bow.

I have read about the brace height being very important. What distance from the riser should it be.

What are you starting the speed dial at for sighting in?

Any other suggestions?? I have the Tactzone scope and stock Excal quiver on it.

Thanks.
Last edited by Knight on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knight

Re: 380 questions....

Post by Knight »

Can you explain 1/4" gap from string to R.E.D.S. please.
turbo

Post by turbo »

I use 125 gr G5 Strikers for broadheads,Speed will be around 360fps using 125gr points with stock arrows.As for distance,the string should be about 2 string widths(close to 1/4 in.) from rubber stops.Pay attention to that distance as your new string strectches.As for target I use Rhino block. :)
LIVING THE DREAM
Knight

Post by Knight »

At this point in time, the string is right up against the stops.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

X2, use a quality bag target for tips and a Rinehart for broadheads. Be prepared for your arrows to drive much deeper into your target with the 380, it packs a punch!

Measure from the face of the REDS pad (where the string hits the pad) back to the string, that's where the 1/4" comes from. Technically you should start at the joint between the riser and end of the barrel and measure back to the string, that measurement should be somewhere around 3/4' to 1".

Somewhere around 375 on the speed dial should be a good starting point. Every bow is a little different but that should be in the neighborhood. The numbers on the speed dial are just for reference, not an exact indication of a bow's actual speed.

Broadhead recommendations.... that's an argument unto itself :lol: If you like the 100 grain slick tricks then stick with them, but keep in mind with the stock Diablo and 100 grain head you're going to be real close to the minimum of 350 grains total arrow weight. Which is why most guys go with heavier heads or heavier brass inserts with 100 grain heads. My personal opinion, I think somewhere around 380-390 grains total weight gives optimum performance--fast, flat, and hits plenty hard. I'm shooting 400 grains total from my M380 and quite happy with the performance.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Normous

Post by Normous »

Knight wrote:At this point in time, the string is right up against the stops.
If you have a stringing aid twist the string till it is 1/4" above the stops (REDS).
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Knight

Post by Knight »

To create space between string and stoppers, I should put a few twists in it...correct?? As mentioned, right now the sting is right up against the pads.

Also, what about using 20" bolts?? I have a couple dozen 20" arrows from Big John.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Correct! and 20's will work too.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Knight

Post by Knight »

Sighhhh......what a night.

Got the excel stringing ad on and bow cocked. Got the string twisted a couple times and back on the groves on the tips.

But now, I can decock the bow using the decocker. The anti dry fire lever won't push in..........
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Knight wrote:Sighhhh......what a night.

Got the excel stringing ad on and bow cocked. Got the string twisted a couple times and back on the groves on the tips.

But now, I can decock the bow using the decocker. The anti dry fire lever won't push in..........
Make sure the string is on the trigger claws and not the ADF string catch. If you didnt have the ADF lever pushed all the way in, the string may catch on the ADF thing, in which case you'll need to recock it that last inch or so then try again. I catch myself not fully pressing the ADF lever in sometimes and that's what happens.
Matrix 380
Exomag
Knight

Post by Knight »

Got it thanks.....
matitude

Post by matitude »

could someone explain to me what having a 1/4" gap between the string and stopper (reds) does as well as what the average weight of the stock 18" diablo bolts are with and without the field points that are provided with the 380? Is there an ideal weighted mechanical/broadhead (100gr-125gr-150gr) tip that works best or would each 380 be very different in what it shoots best?
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

matitude wrote:could someone explain to me what having a 1/4" gap between the string and stopper (reds) does as well as what the average weight of the stock 18" diablo bolts are with and without the field points that are provided with the 380? Is there an ideal weighted mechanical/broadhead (100gr-125gr-150gr) tip that works best or would each 380 be very different in what it shoots best?
A higher brace height such as 1/4" off the REDS will shoot a little smoother, it makes the REDS rubbers last longer, and there have been issues with people shooting too low of a brace height and having damage to the glue-on tips on the ends of the limbs. The string makes contact with the limbs during a shot and the higher brace height helps with that.
The stock Diablos weigh right around 250 grains if I remember correctly... so if you have 150 grain tips, you'd be around 400 grains total. "What works best" is very subjective. Lots of guys shoot 100 grain b'heads with heavier grain brass inserts, some shoot heavier heads with lighter aluminum inserts. With the stock Diablos and aluminum inserts I'd shoot a 125 grain head minimum.
Matrix 380
Exomag
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

matitude wrote:could someone explain to me what having a 1/4" gap between the string and stopper (reds) does as well as what the average weight of the stock 18" diablo bolts are with and without the field points that are provided with the 380? Is there an ideal weighted mechanical/broadhead (100gr-125gr-150gr) tip that works best or would each 380 be very different in what it shoots best?
The stock diablos weigh 250gr + 150gr field points. With the factory setup I would stay with at least a 150gr head. If you reduce your point weight with the light aluminum inserts you also reduce the necessary foc to achieve consistent accuracy and penetration. If I used your setup I'd go with the 175gr Crossbow Tricks. I know Normous uses 170gr FOC's and has had great success with them and is quite happy with their performance.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
matitude

Post by matitude »

Does anybody know off hand what the crono speed would be for a 380 matrix with the factory setup 18" diablo bolts with the 150g field tips provided or the 150g Excalibur broad heads?