Inserts came out...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

torana9x

Inserts came out...

Post by torana9x »

So i got my zombie slayer shafts the other week along with the 92gn brass inserts, installed them using selleys araldite epoxy which i thought would be plenty strong enough to hold them in.

Been busy lately, but i got a chance to finally try these shafts out, took 3 with me and about 5 shots later the inserts were coming out when removing the shafts from the target! errgh i was spewin! :cry:

Having glued all 12 inserts into my shafts, i was like what the hell am i going to do now?? :?: So anyways i took to the inserts with a small dremel gas torch that i have, put the heat on it for about 10-15 seconds then screwed in a field point and pulled on it with some pliers and they were coming out so easy.. It looks like the glue stuck to the brass well but not the carbon..

So now i have to work out how im going to get the glue off the inserts so i can try and re-use them again, and of course find some better glue!!
xcaliber

Re: Inserts came out...

Post by xcaliber »

This has been an issue with the Zombies. I have had a few conversations with them, and they recommend cleaning the bore with a .30 caliber gun bore brush, no acetone! None on inserts either. I use their super glue, cleaning with this method, and have not had any issues since. Some targets do produce more heat than others, and heat is the enemy on the glue. Roughing up the outside diameter of the brass is good too. Basically etching the surface to provide a course finish with micro grooves to hold more glue perpendicular to the insertion direction, or 90 degrees! The point is not to reduce size of inserts diameter.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Dash

Post by Dash »

I've had similar issues with other shafts before. But a good hone/scratch inside the shafts usually sorts the problem out.

Post by newbie »

I clean my zombies with acetone and my inserts after brushing with a bore brush. Ive used JB weld Insert Iron and just plain old Gorilla glue which is almost the same as Insert Iron. Never had one insert pull out. I let my shafts dry overnight after cleaning.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
torana9x

Post by torana9x »

I shall roughen up the shaft + insert this time around then and see how it goes.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I had one insert come out on an arrow that had previously gone through a deer. I used Loctite super glue with the green top. Perhaps the impact had something to do with it, but after the deer I had shot this arrow 5 times or so into my Rhinehart and it was fine. Was at a buddy's house and shot a new Rhinehart target when the temps were around 40 deg F. It was hard to get any arrows out and when I finally did get this one to move, the insert and BH stayed in the target. Needless to say I was PO'd - more because it was my BH but not my target. Couldn't find it or get it out no matter what we did.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I have the same setup and have used a variety of different epoxies ir superglues.I'm now using the LePage or Loktight instant epoxies. My prep is as follows and I haven't lost an insert in thousands of shots so far.
I take my shafts and submerge the tips a couple inches into acetone. I remove one at a time and scrub the inside with a q-tip and re submerge back into the acetone. I also put my inserts into the acetone to remove any oils that may be on them. I put a ring of glue around the insert (the end that goes into the shaft first) and turn the insert as I push it into the shaft. There should be excess glue when the insert is fully in the shaft. I wipe off the excess and stand the arrow on the insert to cure for 24hours. This has worked for me.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

My procedure is about the same as yours but I also score the insert as stated above. Never lost an insert until the scenario described above. Although the Loctite I used is "high impact" I think the impact of the shot was too much. Also a small splinter on the shaft when it finally came out of the target. ?? Now I have to go back and re-inspect my other "previously been through a deer" arrows for any sign of damage.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I bought the lock-n-load brass inserts...yes they are way to expensive at $2.55 each but you do not need glue and you can index your arrows and reuse them by unscrewing the allen screw inside the insert....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

I knurl the inserts between 2 coarse files then sit them in a jar of acetone and give them a shake. Pour them onto a paper towel and let dry.
I run a bore brush in the shaft. Stick it in a can of acetone and give it a good shake hitting the sides of the can opening to loosen any carbon dust. I do that 3 times and set them aside to dry.
Once they are all void of the smell of acetone (an hour or two) I start assembling. I am also ultra careful not to touch any surfaces that were cleaned.
I put a bead of blue top gorilla glue in the opening of the shaft.
I put a target tip in the insert and roll a bead of glue on the shoulder of the insert that is going into the shaft as well as on the sides of the insert.
Using the target tip I push and turn the insert into the shaft.
You know you have enough glue if there is a bead of glue preceding the insert as it is being pushed into the shaft.
When I'm in as far as I can go, I jam the assembly into a board and hold for 10 seconds and then wipe off the excess glue.
The assembly is then set aside, insert down for several hours to a day.
I wipe off any residual glue and I'm ready to fletch.
My inserts do not pull out and they certainly don't crap about being shot into any foam target.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
torana9x

Post by torana9x »

So i ended up using my little dremel tool with a sandpaper tip on it and took to the inserts to remove the glue which worked a treat, and that also scuffed up the brass.

I then got some sandpaper, rolled it up and stuck it in the arrow shaft to roughen that up. After doing that i dipped the inserts + arrow tips into mineral turps to clean them.

As for the glue i used the instabond which i got from black eagle, i thought it was just for the vanes, but apparently its for the inserts as well.. So i went ahead and used that, after i let it dry for a 2-3 hours i took an arrow out and fired it several times, with no issues! :mrgreen:

So now that i have that problem solved, i noticed another one! :shock:

I purchased 2 new strings from Wyvern Creations, after about 5 shots or so i noticed the serving was starting to separate already!? even the end loops show some wear.. bloody hell, i was using the stock string for a bit and that did not separate at all!

My next strings i will be getting from Boo..

But other than that it was shooting like a dream! I dare not to shoot more than 1 arrow at the same X otherwise id be going through quiet a few shafts!