Pop-Up blind recommendations

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

racking up points

Pop-Up blind recommendations

Post by racking up points »

I'm looking for some feedback from members that have had good or bad experiences with different models of pop-up blinds.

I'll be new to this type of setup, I almost always hunt from fixed or climbing stands. I'll use it for late season crossbow and muzzleloader use.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I'll be making a purchase in the coming weeks.

Thanks
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
LongCarbine

Re: Pop-Up blind recommendations

Post by LongCarbine »

We have been using ours for a long time with good success Just last week I put mine at the edge of a corn field and had deer 10 yards away . I have both the pop up and the hub style . I like the hub better but they are a little heavier . With the cross bow I use the shoot thru screens since my shots are under 30 yards. When you take a screen off ,It makes for a big black hole that the deer don't seem to like at closer ranges. What ever one you use make sure you check to see if you have clearance , just because you can see out with your scope doesn't mean your arrow or bullet won't hit the bottom of the window. One more thing go ahead and use a heat sorce in it for late season . They seem to keep noise and scent inside very well . Also keep the back window close so your head is not back lite.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Derrick, I've had the Double Bull for years and this thing is very well made. I haven't tested the shoot through mesh, I just didn't use it. I learned in Texas that it's much more effective to heavily brush it in. Two or three can fit inside but it's only
5' 5 1/2" high so you can't stand upright to stretch your legs. With practice you can set up in about three minutes.
I recently picked up a chair blind at Canadian Tire. It's like the portable chairs that fit in the long tube style bag. You sit down and pull the roof up and over you. At six feet tall I'm okay with my M380 and bipod in it, not sure if any bigger would work. Plus is it's light and super fast, literally seconds to set up. Minus, very small and no room for movement or leg stretching. You're sitting and that's it.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
fergie

Post by fergie »

I've got a double bull going on 5 years now and it's by far the best blind I've tried. I've had a few older ameristeps before. outhouse was my first and then two doghouse blinds and then went to a hub style from them and had to replace them pretty much every year because I was too lazy and late to take them out before big snow storms hit and collapsed them for the winter. material would tear from the ice and the fibreglass poles would break and sometimes tear through the flimsy material. the double bull has a thick almost cavas type material that is very strong, expensive but when I thought about how much I paid for the others....... nice thing with the double bull is the lifetime warranty, I had tied it to a tree one turkey season and the winds picked it up overnight and had two poles break and I called primos and had to pay shipping but they sent me 2 new hubs and 8 new poles in case it happened again, that sold me and if I ever decide to get a second blind it will be another double bull.
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I have been using a double bull for about 10 or so years and won't use any other kind . one is a recurve matrix model they were offered by 3rivers archery for a few years . and I have a reg. matrix its a bit smaller but also good . like the windows on the double bull . you have the front of the blind open you can fallow you target very well. and the are warranted for life. but a little costly . you can't go wrong with one.
W.M. :)
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I have 5 Double Bull blinds, been using them 15 yrs. tried and tossed many cheaper ones.
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

3 Double Bull blinds in use -- oldest one is probably 15 years old --- service and parts support is fantastic
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've always used an Ameristep "Doghouse" blind or something similar. I leave it out year round and just replace it when it finally falls apart. (The one in the pic is getting a few holes in it and I'll replace it this summer.)

One thing I figured out several years ago was that deer don't like change. If I had the windows closed most of the time, but opened them to hunt the deer DID notice and were very nervous. So I bought a few cans of cheap flat black spray paint and made the windows look the same all the time.
When I buy a new blind it will get set up in my yard, the windows painted black, and let it air out for a few days before I set it up at the food plot.

Here's a pic from my game cam on the feeder a few days ago. Windows are closed in the pic.
wabi
Twohats

Post by Twohats »

I use many different blinds and my go to are the Primos Club Xl ans XXL. These are good blinds and replaceable parts but a DB blind is in my future they are the best ones hands down...I put mine out in August and by then the deer are accustom to them,makes one heck of a difference.I plan on getting them down here soon before the winter comes..
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I highly recommend the Canadian made Altan hub blinds. I like their window sizes and placement and the price point is very good. TSC carries them and you can also order them from Costco online.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Jray

Post by Jray »

Might want to give the Rhino XP1 a look. I've had a couple brands of the cheaper blinds and they work well enough but the Rhino I got back in the spring has been the best so far. Very heavy material and super customer service(I had an issue with a pole and they made it right even though it was my fault).
http://rhinoutdoors.com/products.php
Dand

Post by Dand »

I've had double bull for 10 yrs. No problem at all until this year a bear got to blind and broke poles on 3 of the 4 wall hubs.... Was going to trash it. But after reading the posts here seems I can get new hubs!!!! I know promos took over double bull. Do they still live up to warranty??? I've also bought two hub blinds from gander mountain brand and have been very happy with them.... Seem as good of quality as double bull at much better price..... $129 or so compared to $400!!! DanD
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Strategy Cover Hunting Blind...well made and cheap....$69.99...reason why we buy these cheap in Jersey....is 9 out of 10 we don't expect to find it there when we go back at the end of the season due to "help your-selfers"

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Have had Ameristep blinds for several years.The hub style is larger and I prefer these to the Doghouse but the Doghouse are so reasonable price wise they are a bargain. We hunt private property so theft shouldnt be a problem, but I have never spent enough money to buy a DoubleBull, and have always gotten by fine with the much cheaper Ameristep. The "Brickhouse" model is one I like well. I leave mine up from the 1st of sept. until about the 1st of Jan.The sun takes a pretty good toll on them. They will turn almost white( pinkish white ) within about two years and after a third year are pretty fragile and about due a replacement.However I realize most folks dont leave theirs up this long. Also if you watch the sales you can find a Doghouse for about 50 bucks. That is cheap enough you could have multiple blinds and not have to move them.The Doghouse blinds are smallish, especially if you have and older Exo series bow, but it will work.Window in Doghouse is a little low, but I have cut the legs off some on my chair for this.Just a thought.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I too like the ameristep doghouse blinds. I have two of them....they are as low as $40 or so in the off season, probably around $70 now. I just bought a Guide Gear doghouse blind from The Sportsmans guide for $50 delivered, but the ameristep blinds are superior. Better zippers, camo on the screens, and the ameristep material seems a bit more durable.

These days I look through and shoot through the vent/slot openings rather than the "windows," with the bow and with firearms. When I am ready to take aim and shoot at a target, I will ever so slowly stick the barrel or stirrup out of the slot, push down a bit on the material to enlarge the opening, take aim, and shoot. I have never spooked either a turkey or deer that way, and I have had many shot opportunities.

But always practice first....and with the bow make sure that the slot is set up so as not to interfere with the limbs upon shooting.

I take em down and put em away in the off season. They are holding up quite well, except one of them has some tears from when the wind took it for a ride after I got lazy and didn't use the high wind tie downs.