States With Crossbow Draw Weight Limits

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

F250-2

States With Crossbow Draw Weight Limits

Post by F250-2 »

I have a couple questions for you folks who live or hunt in those states that have imposed draw weight limits on crossbows : 1) How does the Warden inspect the crossbow in question - what sort of equipment does he/she carry in the field to perform the check ? 2) has anyone ever had their crossbow checked for the draw weight limit by a Warden ?
colouredchameleon

Re: States With Crossbow Draw Weight Limits

Post by colouredchameleon »

I would think it is one of those laws that comes into play when you are suspected of being up to no good or are a known badass.
Or have been caught having already violated a section of the regulations.
I am sure a Game Warden also who makes contact day in and day out with a lot of hunters developes a good sense of what hunting equipment needs to be scrutinized closer.
I am also certain If it comes to piling on the charges to ensure a conviction no stone is left unturned.
And rightfully so if your a badass in my opinion.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

We have the same thing in Maine. It can't be over 200lbs.and I think the least was 100lbs. I can understand the minimum but you can't have to much! :D :lol:
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

maine hunter wrote:We have the same thing in Maine. It can't be over 200lbs.and I think the least was 100lbs. I can understand the minimum but you can't have to much! :D :lol:

I think is to prevent this one from being used.

LOL :lol:
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

PA used to have a 200LB or less limit until they changed it to a 125lb or higher....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Geodehunter

Post by Geodehunter »

The Wardens here in Illinois carry scales that they check your crossbow with. The minimum weight here is 125lbs and a max of 200lbs.
In God I Trust!!!
Hunt hard & Hunt safe, Robbie
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

NY has a 200# max.
I talked to various DEC guys and they are mostly ignorant about crossbows. One even told me that if I had a crossbow over 200# to turn it down for lower poundage. I had to tell him that this is not something that is done with a recurve. I think that he was thinking that crossbows are the same as vertical compound bows.
Mostly it was suggested that they would use Google to look up the model and make of the crossbow and then determine if it is within the limits.
Not sure what the purpose of the 200# limit is, since it certainly is not the sole determinant of how fast an arrow can be launched. Many of the compound type crossbows with lower draw weights will launch an arrow faster than a 200# plus recurve.
On many different levels, NY is one extremely messed up state. Hopefully, Excalibur will lobby enough of our corrupt politicians so the 200# upper limit will one day be removed. Otherwise they will not be selling many crossbows in NY.
tripNchip

Post by tripNchip »

I didn't realize there were states that would limit the ability of a crossbow. Seems kind of strange when much liter wt. vertical bows will do the same if not more then the crossbow. Will have to be carful and see who does or dose not want my hard earned money.
Have a blessed day
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Probably no small coincidence that NY and Illinois, 2 of the most messed up states with the most corrupt politicians, are among the rare few to have the 200# limit.
Shyoldman

Post by Shyoldman »

I am in Nebr, we have a 175 min.
tommybobusa

Post by tommybobusa »

All They need is a catalog with The Crossbow's specifications
Patriot*

Post by Patriot* »

tommybobusa wrote:All They need is a catalog with The Crossbow's specifications
And our GW's carry smart phones, its a quick no brainer to find the Xbow's stats.
Genesis 27:3
M/380 xtra Real Tree
Micro 335 Real Tree
Micro 335 Nightmare
Axiom 305 Real Tree