Grain question broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BCBear

Grain question broadheads

Post by BCBear »

Hi everyone. I just bought a nice equinox setup and have some of the 150 grain field points on some firebolts. I have not had the chance to try the unit in the field yet. If I sight in using the 150s, then decide to buy hunting tips can I use the 100 grain X Act broad heads? Or should I stick with the 150 grain broad heads? I don't want to have to mess with my scope set up...I don't know if going back and forth between 150 field heads and then 100 X Acts would be a bad thing since I am brand new to crossbowing. Thanks for any replies BCBear
I love racks
Mo wannabe

Re: Grain question broadheads

Post by Mo wannabe »

Welcome to the brotherhood . You are talking about a simple adjustment of the scope , up a few clicks, or down a few The beast I had shot diff gr points without a lot of drop till 30 yards or past
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi BCBear, welcome. You absolutely need to shoot the same grain broadheads as field points. Also, you need to shoot the broadheads you plan to hunt with BEFORE hunting with them. Do not assume that your broadheads and field points will have the same point of impact. They may or may not be close but you can't chance that on an animal. You may well have to sight in with broadheads. With the stock arrows, they come with light weight aluminum inserts and are designed to shoot the heavier broadheads. If you want to shoot lighter broadheads, you'll do well to go to a heavier brass insert of either 80,92, or 110 grains. This will maintain a sufficient forward of center balance in the arrow and ensure consistent accuracy.
Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

The 150gr Excalibur bolt cutters will be your best bet accuracy wise. Keep your field points and try a few bolt cutters see how you like them. As already stated a switch to lighter broadheads should involve heavier brass inserts up front for best accuracy. No need to re invent the wheel. The bolt cutters where designed for your setup.
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Welcome to the camp! . . . X'2 on the quote
paulaboutform wrote:You absolutely need to shoot the same grain broadheads as field points. Also, you need to shoot the broadheads you plan to hunt with BEFORE hunting with them. Do not assume that your broadheads and field points will have the same point of impact.
Paul
Being new on here also and to xbow, get real intimate w/ yer gear. i was told to shoot a lot . . . you'll find out real fast what works, what dont and what ya can work on :lol: . a real great bunch of guys and gal's on here, A Lot of experience and trial and error.

welcome brother!

ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hunt it wrote:The 150gr Excalibur bolt cutters will be your best bet accuracy wise. Keep your field points and try a few bolt cutters see how you like them. As already stated a switch to lighter broadheads should involve heavier brass inserts up front for best accuracy. No need to re invent the wheel. The bolt cutters where designed for your setup.
Yep! Could not have said it better. This may not apply to those who can't leave things alone (like me) but it certainly applies to anyone who believes in the K.I.S.S. principle.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BCBear

Post by BCBear »

Thanks for the pointers on the points everyone. Learning something new all the time these days!
I love racks
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You'll need a b-head friendly target vs one for field points.
"Eze 18:21"
bubba

Post by bubba »

Welcome to the forum!!
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)