Can't Keep My Head Down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Re: Can't Keep My Head Down

Post by amythntr »

DanO wrote:Great advice folks, as usual. All the suggestions are doable and I will follow-up. Paul I know that writing down process sounds odd but I'm a biology person so I understand retraining the brain. More "deliberate" practice is what I need. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I do have a beard so the double face tape might be an option is all else fails. :lol:
Dan O.

A biology person?...tell me why the only thing I remember from high school is:

kingdom,
phylum,
class,
order,
family,
genus,
species

freaky isn't it (at almost 57 years old)...I should have been a science teacher as that was my passion science and teaching...catholic school got involved and I became an accountant...pay was good for many years...I should have stuck with my passion...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

DanO, one more thing that may help is to practice and learn to shoot with both eyes open. It's hard to do with a magnified scope (hence the practice part) but it allows you to see the arrow much better. When I first started shooting crossbows I pulled my head up much like you are doing... I would lose sight of the arrow through the scope due to the scope jumping with the recoil, and I would subconsciously move my head to try to see the shot, which caused me to also move the bow and resulted in accuracy problems. Just a suggestion.
I'd also agree that a lighted nock is a great improvement, I can see my lumenoks in broad daylight, they do make a difference.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I have had the same or similar problem . I could practice till I was dead eye on targets but then miss a 15 yard deer standing wide open . I think it helped a lot when I bought a life size 3d deer to shoot at
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Shoot with both eyes open only if same side dominant. If you're left eye dominant and shooting right it can mess you up. :oops:

There is no quick fix..... BUT you don't only have to shoot to retrain the brain. Practice the correct form in your imagination - play it over and over in your mind. When i was working on a new technique I'd go over it mentally before falling asleep. The more vividly you can imagine shooting with proper follow through the better you'll be able to retrain.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
DanO

Post by DanO »

amythntr wrote:
DanO wrote:Great advice folks, as usual. All the suggestions are doable and I will follow-up. Paul I know that writing down process sounds odd but I'm a biology person so I understand retraining the brain. More "deliberate" practice is what I need. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I do have a beard so the double face tape might be an option is all else fails. :lol:
Dan O.

A biology person?...tell me why the only thing I remember from high school is:

kingdom,
phylum,
class,
order,
family,
genus,
species

freaky isn't it (at almost 57 years old)...I should have been a science teacher as that was my passion science and teaching...catholic school got involved and I became an accountant...pay was good for many years...I should have stuck with my passion...

Anthony :)

That is what I did for 32 years. Biology teacher and hockey coach. You must have really liked science if you remember your taxonomy levels. Pretty dry stuff!! I do shoot with both eyes open after using a microscope for many years. One eye on the class and the other on the slide in the microscope. :lol:
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Shoot a scoped .22 a bit.......No need to raise your head.... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

awshucks wrote:Shoot a scoped .22 a bit.......No need to raise your head.... :mrgreen:
Or shoot one of the "Recoiless" air rifles. Watching the pellet smack the target is pretty cool! And on the air rifles, follow through is critical. As long as it takes the pellet to exit the barrel, if you dont follow through, you dont hit squat! This is how it should be with your bow, and will help your scores a ton!
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Do you use Lumenoks? if not give lighted nocks a try. You will not expect it but when you see them light and make their way to the target, you can't keep your eyes off them,

F
DanO

Post by DanO »

Hoping I get some for Christmas Galgo. Along with all the other advise I think the Lumenocks will seal the deal.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.