Dry Fired the ExoMax - Now Fixed!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Partikle

Dry Fired the ExoMax - Now Fixed!

Post by Partikle »

Had my first dry fire last night with the ExoMax. Forgot to load a bolt in it when it was my turn to shoot. :roll: Quite a loud twang sound! :shock: There does not appear to be any major damage and I shot it another 20 times after that but I think it is louder now??? Maybe it's not and I'm just paying more attention to it since the dry fire, but would it make sense that part of the damage would be that it makes more sound? I tightened up the disipator bars a bit but it still seems to make a loud twang rattle sound when I shoot?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Nick
Last edited by Partikle on Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigBear

Re: Dry Fired the ExoMax

Post by BigBear »

Partikle wrote:Had my first dry fire last night with the ExoMax. Forgot to load a bolt in it when it was my turn to shoot. :roll: Quite a loud twang sound! :shock: There does not appear to be any major damage and I shot it another 20 times after that but I think it is louder now??? Maybe it's not and I'm just paying more attention to it since the dry fire, but would it make sense that part of the damage would be that it makes more sound? I tightened up the disipator bars a bit but it still seems to make a loud twang rattle sound when I shoot?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Nick
...good thing for the bars, they just saved your limbs...it may sound louder to you because your dp bars are more than likely bent..have a look at them and see..hope this helps..
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Hey BigBear,

Thanks for the tip. I'll compare my disipator bars to my buddies 2003 exocet and see if they appear bent. (They should be the same bars right?)

Nick
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

Partikle wrote:Hey BigBear,

Thanks for the tip. I'll compare my disipator bars to my buddies 2003 exocet and see if they appear bent. (They should be the same bars right?)

Nick
..yes they are the same..with the limbs at rest is there more of a gap between the pads and the limbs?..also check all your screws on the bow (scope mount etc.) and make sure they are tight..they just might have loosened off as well..as well just have a look at the limbs and mag tips as well for any signs of damage..glad to help you..been there done that too..not with the max though.
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Lou has given you good advice.

Lay a straight edge on the front of the Db bar...if it's bent you'll see daylight between it and the straight edge. I did that with an Exocet.

Keep an eye on that puppy....lots of stress there.

Mike
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

OK I took them off and I can see the light... :roll: :roll: lots of light between the straight edge and the bar that is. The limbs look OK, I don't see any stress cracks or damage. I did fire it after the accident a number of times and I lived to tell about it. I'll pick up a new set of bars this weekend.

The main screw that holds the limbs and the disipator bars to the riser had a touch of light oil on it. Any perfered oil that I should use when I re-assemble it? I have gun oil.

Thanks for your help guys. :D :D

Nick
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

Hi Nick..glad to hear that the bow is ok...you don't really need any oil for the limb bolts..however if it was me, i'd put a touch of blue thread locker on the bolt to keep them from coming loose...hope this helps...Lou
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Thanks BigBear, will do.

BJ, You have a PM. :lol:

Nick

Post by Guest »

I just got my Exomag on Thursday and had a Dry fire after putting it together. Since I am new to this could some one explain to me the dangers of a dry fire and how and why it can cause damage. Why would having it loaded with an arrow that weighs almost nothing make a difference?
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Guest - if you shoot with an arrow, the bow transfers a great deal of energy to that arrow and the limbs absorb less of the bow's total stored energy.

If you shoot with nothing loaded, the limbs and string absorb 100% of the stored energy and damage can result.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

This is the geek in me...

Red Label is right on. I would have to get my first year college physics book out but just imagine how much energy is required to accelerate a 350g bolt to 350 FPS (~240 MPH) in less then 1/100 of a second.

Just because it is light does not mean there is not a lot of energy there. Look at the damage a little bullet does during deer season. NASA worries about tiny paint chips in orbit from space junk penetrating the windshield of the shuttle! (It's light but at the speed it orbits the earth it has a ton of energy).

:idea: Where is the geek icon?
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Wouldn't just tightening down your dbars some put everything back into place? Brand new Exomax's sound noisy when the dbars two smaller bolts (the two per side) haven't been tightened enough. I doubt that you need to buy new dbars?!!! :?
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Woodsman,

I tightened them as tight as they can go and the rubber pads are not touching that much at all compared to before. The dissipator bars have bent forward enough that the pads are barely touching the limbs at rest and there is vibration in the limbs now when I shoot. It's much noisier then before.

Besides, they are not that expensive.

Nick
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Oh! I had dry fired my Exomag about 4 times :oops: since I have it and the bars never showed any signs of not doing their job anymore. I guess the extra power of the Max really does show in cases like these!
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.

Post by Guest »

Partikle,

I've heard of guys staightening them back up which wouln't be a hard thing to do in a vise, just cover the bars with a towel or something so you don't mark up the finish.

One guy I was shooting with at Ottawa Archery I was shooting with bent his bars in a dry fire with no pads on the bars and they got bent some, marked up one of his limbs too but only the paint chipped off. But the bars got straightened out in no time. I'd keep the old ones and straighten them out and keep em as back ups if I were you.