Sort of OT - My 2014 Island Blacktail Obsession

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Sort of OT - My 2014 Island Blacktail Obsession

Post by IronNoggin »

Hi Folks - sort of OT because while I did carry my Matrix a good portion of the time for this year's 40 plus days of scratching my Raging Blacktail itch, it wasn't the only item from the War Chest out there...

This will be a longish one both in terms of text, and a little heavy on the vidz & pix... Just a note that my trail cam videos can't be imbedded here, so y'all will have to follow the links provided to see them. Worth it methinks... :wink:

As some here may recall, my usual early investigations for a Big Blacktail were somewhat delayed this fall. Drawing a moose tag (yet again) meant another Northward wandering when I normally would have been working on setting up a date with my one of my Ultimate Quests. Two weeks produced little but sunburn and foot blsiters with the futile attempt at moose. Fun for sure, but simply unproductive (I am sure a few here can commiserate...)
That tale here: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=54644

I've had the fortune to successfully hunt (and often guide) for a wide abundance of game in my life, yet even after 18 years of pursuit, I have yet to put a "Book" Blacktail on the ground. A Damn Tough Business I know (Really, I KNOW!) but pretty much any other critter I've pursued that (or Damn Close) has been accomplished. And none ate this amount of time, effort and determination to realize. So, to me, the term at this point "Ultimate Quest" rather well applies.

Between the moose hunt, little bit of "working", a handful of family / personal tragedies and life in general it wasn't until fairly late into the season, damn near mid-October if I recall, that me & my Partners set out to observe The Chessboard.

There are many places I know reasonably well and like to hunt. Some well into the mountains, some lower down. Each have their own merits, and so each must be carefully investigated. And then there is the Draw of the "Unknown"...

Within a few days the trail cams starting singing their song, letting us know what was about in several areas. From their actions it was fairly easy to determine we had a ways to go before any thought of the Rut (or "Prom" as I am prone to call it) began to fester.

Here's a couple of the Young Ladz still social and traveling together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Lz7aMfxD1Y

And even when this Lass strolls right by, this young two-point continues on his merry way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... mlW9pXIfe8

The Good News was that there were more than a handful of Ladies around, so we figured sooner or later a Big Boy or two would come calling court...

Leaving those cameras to soak for a few days, we hit the High Country.
Mature Bucks will often Go Solo prior to the Big Party, and in a lot of locations that means getting up HIGH. We Did... :lol:

On Top there was scant sign, but indications were that perhaps one or to localized areas bore further investigation. Coming back to a few of those in rainy conditions might just prove interesting...

Between the peaks and the mid-range was where we tracked / saw most over the next few days. As figured those up top were chiefly solo & scant on the ground, but generally mid-sized bucks in spots I wasn't all that interested in packing them from. There were a couple "unknown's" up there and one in particular did draw me back several times. Canny Bugger that lives in a particularly NASTY spot and knows it. He will undoubtedly be better next year if an Eagle doesn't get him... LOL
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Re: Sort of OT - My 2014 Island Blacktail Obsession

Post by IronNoggin »

Kept my finger on the pulse of the trail cams while cautiously checking and scouting the surrounding areas those days my legs warned me to. Not a lot was changing from what they suggested. The weather was warm, the Gals and kids continued to be a presence, and the bucks continued by by-pass them even close:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... pUNbeebd3o

Managed a couple days down during the warmest fall I remember.
But each time I did my mind was Out There - figuring - wondering - calculating - HOPING! :mrgreen:

Thank The Goddess for an Understanding Lady, She expressed no concern as I plunged Full Bore into The Obsession.

Before delving much more into this year's fun, I'd like to take a moment to discuss the tactics we employ, and the tools of the trade for each.

There are three main strategies we employ when looking for Blacktails here.
First, you have to find suitable habitat. That generally means pouring over Google Earth images - sometimes on spec, sometimes via word of mouth.
Once a target area has been defined, we will check surrounding areas on the ride in. Otherwise known as road hunting, I've found this to be the Least productive method to collect anything worth chatting about. Yes, it happens, I read about it, just pretty rare for me & the Ladz I hang with.

Second comes the "Ground Proofing" aspect wherein we Hit the Boots and still hunt the chosen area investigating for sign and a potential Spot & Stalk scenario. Once we get to know an area, quite often we dedicate the efforts there towards this technique. Over the years, this method has produced fairly well for us.

The Third centers on finding one of those "Special Areas" where a ground blind or tree stand becomes the focus of the activity there. Tougher to find for these Ghosts than most can imagine, but they ARE there, and if you are persistent you will find them. Silent approach and extraction lanes are Mandatory for success, as is sitting motionless for hours. Any evidence whatsoever you are engaging in this practice, and any Canny Ol' Buck worth his salt will quietly disappear, and but rarely return...
For collecting more mature Blacktails, I have personally found this technique to produce the best over the years.

In terms of the arsenal, that varies with method and location.

Road Hunting usually means packing a rifle and a shotgun - you simply never know what the best habitat at the end of the drive will look like and which may be called for.

For the still hunt / spot & stalk methods, that chiefly varies between the rifle and shotgun again. Up high in the alpine, I prefer a long shooting rifle - 270 in my case. Shots up there can often be quite the distance, and I prefer to be packing something I am confident and capable with out to 400 yards or so.

In The Thick I generally rely on Ol' Betsy - 12 gauge with the tightest full choke I've ever seen. She will throw a pattern of Triple Odd Buck at 50 yards that most other full choke scatterguns produce at 30. Light, easy to carry and maneuver with in tight quarters, she has had her fair share of success in the Dog Hair over the years.

When it comes to sitting, I greatly prefer the Matrix. It is MUCH Deadlier than any shotgun, is Fast, Accurate and downright Efficient in that setting. I do occasionally take it for a stroll, but only in areas I well know I can move around fairly easily with it.

OK, enough about technique and back to this year's efforts...
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

About the time I decided to commit Full Time to The Pursuit, the weather (finally) decided to change things up a bit. Following an overly warm (as in HOT!) summer and fall, the skies became overcast which helped to cool things down a bit.

Understanding The Prom had yet to be announced, we chiefly continued our explorations of higher and mid level areas. There are certain things we look for when focused on Mature Bucks, and this is one such area:

Fairly high up, open feeding areas (slash) interspersed with timbered ridges containing those mossy bluffs old bucks prefer. And of course, escape routes in many many directions. The area above is a fine example of where an Ol' Mossyhorns will hide out before the Big Party commences. Above the does & younger bucks a ways, devoid of Two-Leg and vehicle traffic, they often do prefer their Solitude to fatten up for the impending Dance.

We spent many days cautiously exploring such areas again this fall, and did manage to locate a couple that were Right Worthy of Pursuit. That we did, and although a couple of us managed "glimpses" at distance, we never did capitalize on any of them. Rest assured however, those areas will Not be written off for next season. And once again we will be pussy-footing those bluff areas within and along the edges of the timber :wink:

The rains began just about then, and checks of the cams indicated just how much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... SRuIjfgOGE

Many of the main trails had become flooded, even well back in the timber. Despite the sky-water we did elect to work the blinds in those areas a few times. Wet, as in Right WET even with good skins were the rule. A few sightings, good numbers of Ladies & kids, and a handful of smaller bucks confirmed that the calling cards to The Prom had yet to be issued...

So, back to some mid-level explorations for a while. Between that and a few higher looks, we covered a LOT of ground, and passed up some our other Buddies suggested we were "Insane" for doing so. Perhaps, but cutting tags early certainly reduce your chances for a Big One!

Another week or so went by, and I really started to become concerned that The Prom was either Seriously Delayed (should NOT happen in my mind's eye!) or had somehow slipped by without us realizing it. Recognizing the latter would be Damn Tough for them to pull off with us being out there All The Time and cameras rolling when we were not, I chatted with many other experienced hunters and hit the Forums. All were crying the same Blues - No sign of any action collectively. Sigh!

Up to this point, the deer were almost completely nocturnal in the various areas. Even the undisturbed ones. Rattled the confidence a little, Knowing full well they were there, but most sightings limited to just First and Last Light...

Then things started to change...

The first indication was these starting to appear in a lot of places:

Many larger trees in some areas were bearing the pent up angst of hormone fueled Ladz, and many of those were accompanied by BIG Bootprints! Contrary to what some believe, I personally think that in the case of Blacktails, the larger the tree attacked, the larger the buck doing so. What drives me to this belief is myself and The Ladz taking good deer in adjacent areas after discovering such rubs. Many locations now became suddenly Much More Interesting!

Despite this encouragement, the deer continued to be mainly Night Stalkers, and despite our best efforts, sightings remained fairly low for that time of year...

But, We all knew the clock was ticking, and any moment now The Band would be warming up for The Show...
Last edited by IronNoggin on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

At this point I personally had burned a LOT of time and effort chasing these elusive critters, and was just a hint discouraged at the results. Checking the cams therefore was a rather Pleasant Surprise! They might still be focused on the dark to move, but Things were starting to Happen!!

The wide 2x3 was suddenly expressing a LOT more interest in this young Lady:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 4_A2Up33KQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 4muYycB6gY

This 2 point was certainly working to get his turn on the Dance Floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... EsMmqf3YFI

But even so, not everyone was in on The Gig yet. This particular buck appears to be checking the scent waves for the Right Dance Partner, yet in the background a couple of the Gals feed away, both seemingly Oblivious to each other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... OKfm7wqzpQ

And this young non-typical was a lot more focused on feeding than any of the Ladies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... vReN288K4c

That particular fellow appeared many times over the fall on the cams. Lucky for him he never stepped out (while we were there) in daylight. Although young, I did figure to harvest him. That particular area grows some Fine Four Points, and I kinda thought I did not want this fellow's genetics to interfere with that much. Oddly enough we did take a Big Non-Typical a year or two prior to seeing this one that had a very similar configuration. So I guess those genetics are around on the fringe anyway. This fellow WILL be In Trouble should any of us see him next year! :twisted:
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

And the movement in daylight remained limited. We did keep at it as the temperatures PLUNGED! The trails turned to ICE, the ground Froze stiff as a pool table, and we Shivered when working the blinds to the point of Pain! :shock:

In that period, we simply HAD to take the odd day off from time to time, simply to let the Burn of the Frostbite fade a little. And of course each time we did, someone would wander out well into Shooting Light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 1jlO6zQM1Y

This one would have received The Pass anyway, not quite what we were looking for...

Up to this point we had seen the two local Giants but briefly on the cams, and always under such conditions it was difficult to determine Just What They Were.
From the tracks, the rubs and those images though, we knew they were there, and stuck with the program.

Here's one of the Big Boys in one of the "better" cam videos of him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Rp21ROGA1M

Kinda tough to recognize much more than he is a Very Good Four Point. But Look at the Mass, and look at just how Far he clears the body on either side with that headgear when walking away! This, for me, was Target Number One!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

And in the same area, using the same "Bedroom" as it was to later turn out, was this Old and Heavy Two Point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... ZoNmkEMdUQ

A LOT of mass for a Deuce (which became his nickname), Roman-Nosed and Big Body he was obviously an Older Revert or Regression Buck.
Have to admit I often wondered just how those two tolerated each other in the same vicinity!

So, The Prom slowly worked it's way into everyone's mind. Sightings become more frequent even in daylight, and the cams jumped from a four or five a night to up to Twenty!

My Partner one particular morning decided to check out an adjacent area to his blind - an area we both know well. On his way back he became just slightly careless having already covered the return path on the way in. Mistake! For Suddenly, within range appeared the other Biggie in the area (stays 1/2 - 3/4 mile away from the two in the videos above) appeared sneaking by him. The encounter was extremely Brief, but enough to realize both Body & Antler size. MASSIVE! And enough to give my Buddy The Shakes for near two days!! :lol:
Lesson here: NEVER let your Guard Down! :wink:

We continued to work the area as we always have, sneaking in to blinds and out ever so carefully in the dark. Freezing our butts off day after day. Passing on "meat bucks" by conscious choice in the desperate Hope that one of the Biggies might make a mistake...

Time began to become pressing. I usually depart for the mainland the last week of November, and we were now into that. The Prom which had started so late appeared to be winding down after but a brief showing. And, at least in my case Desperation began to rear it's Ugly Head...

We have an unwritten Rule about invading any of the Big Boy's bedrooms. Do that even once and if they catch on, you can generally write them off until next year. Those that have survived multiple seasons simply Will NOT Tolerate any intrusion into the areas they feel secure in, and will almost always vacate...

Desperation...
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Another Buddy had been pressing me to go out with him, and I had been putting him off while In Pursuit of the Main Target. Finally he would no longer take "No" for an answer, and we set off for an adventure back up to The Heights.

Chilly up there but not "crunchy" and we could move along in good Stealth. Again, covered some good ground working to try and either spot for a stalk, or push anything we might move across the others path.

Fairly late in the morning, I heard something get up on the other side of some dense brush, and moved quickly to cut off it's escape route. He complied, and less than five minutes later I heard the single bark of a rifle. Radio on. Buck Down! COOL! :D

Scrambled to find my Buddy, and he kept saying "Downhill from the ridge". Yes indeed - downhill 80 yards in the Wrong Direction! Even knowing what we had in store for us, I could not help but congratulate him for this Nice Mountain Three Point!

The extraction was a series of "One Two Three HEAVE" over and over until we reached the ridge. After that it became only slightly easier to drag him through the timber to a spot we could get the vehicle to. Quite often the case when chasing Mountain Bucks (unless you de-bone and pack them out), but Well worth the Effort!

Kinda strained myself on that extract, so took a day down to recover and ponder just What to do next...
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Now, with time rapidly running out, I contemplated my various options.

Return to the mountain? After all we just collected a decent one there... Nope.

Sit the blinds in the Chill and hope as I did already so many times... Maybe.

Break The Rule and Invade The Bedroom? Hmmm... Damn near done, Right to The Wire actually. Won't really matter at this point should I blow the Big Guy out of there. Hmmm...

And so it was I made my way carefully to the blind the following day. Sat there through first light, and saw but a handful of does and one small two point...
Screw It! I am Going In!

Entering the Bedroom with the slowest Two-Step imaginable, I found myself questioning just WTH I was up to. Committed I thought. Yeah Should Be I answered myself with a tight jaw...

A hundred yards or so (translation 2 hours) into The Stalk, I caught the smallest movement out of the corner of my eye. Distant. Was it Real??
Eyes straining through the binoculars I finally spotted the smallest of movements. Grey. Ghost Grey! Selecting a path that might intercept him, I stole along carefully in a path parallel to him at just over 100 yards. Another look. Bone. Heavy Bone!

Although uncertain just Which Buck I was dealing with, my heart started to HAMMER! Calm Down Idiot I told myself. Do NOT blow this!

Cautiously I looked for anything resembling an opening in the buck's path. Heavy bush separated us as I desperately swung the binocs in what was rapidly appearing to be a futile attempt. Back to the Buck. Still moving along, unconcerned, but moving nonetheless. Back along his path, and suddenly THERE! A hole perhaps the size of a basketball between us and out in front of the buck! Instantly turned the scope well up, and cradled it with my right hand. Left removed the can call from my pocket, and Hoping beyond Hope I could guess his rate of movement correctly...

About there my mind insisted. Tipped the can, and Suddenly There He Was! I could only see one eye, the base of one horn (Heavy Enough the internal voice Screamed!) and his neck down to where it met his body. The buck swung his head slightly back and forth looking for the "doe" that had just requested his presence. Slowly I lifted the rifle (usually a poor choice for that Thick Stuff, but Damn Happy I had it's familiar presence in my hands just then!) and centered just where the neck met the body. Without even realizing it, the 130 grain Partition was On It's Way!!

The Buck jumped Six Feet Straight Up and came down with all four digging. Hmmm...
Felt Good. Give him 15. Longest 15 of the season for me! :shock:

Made my way over to where he had been - No Hair, NO Blood. DAMMIT!
BIG Dig Marks from where he lit out, going into even thicker Jungle. Crap!
Forced my way into the Jungle and began to grid search. Nothing. 10 minutes pass. Another 10. Still Searching. Another 10. I cannot believe I missed with this rifle at that range I mumbled to myself. OK then, extract and fetch the Dawg is the only option left...

Crashed my way back out to a main trail with the intent to depart, and there, right where I crashed onto the trail, was a drop of blood about the size of a quarter. Rich Red Blood. Heart Blood!! Ten yards later, another drop, this the size of a silver dollar. Same color. Pussy footing along and at the ready, I turned a short corner, looked up, and LOTS of blood! And... An Antler sticking out of the brush alongside the trail!

I was still careful on the approach, but he was indeed Down!
Not Target Number One, but rather the Revert Two Point he shared the area with,

As he lay:

Slightly Repositioned:

Pictures do not really do the Lad justice. Sporting a near 18 inch spread with 5 inch bases, he was Well Battlescarred, Roman Nosed, and had damn near No Teeth left! Another True Regression Buck, he was likely pushing 13 or 14 years old. And sported a rather large body (certain to provide some rather fine sausages this winter!).

As for Target Number One "Tolerating" him, I guess that simply wasn't the case. If you look behind his ear in the second photo, you can see the edge of an eight inch diameter wound, hair rubbed off down to skin and meat, in what must have been an Epic Battle! On the far side of his face, his jaw was cracked and a few stubs of teeth removed - quite the "bruise" - again an indication this Fellow was a Battler!

Many thoughts ran through my mind as they always do at such meetings. Thankfulness that he gave his life so mine and that of my Family's may continue. Pride in accomplishing what I had under the circumstances. A hint of sorrow at his falling, and Dread of the impending extraction.

This day I had chosen to wear my Heavy Down Coveralls (12 pounds dry weight of down) due to weather. I plotted the "easiest" route out, but was sweating profusely when I broke back into the open. Another 200 yards to get him anywhere near where I could get the truck. Looked just like I stepped out of the shower! Shedding the coveralls I Steamed for 20 minutes until my body core cooled down...

Along the extraction, I rolled right by the cam that had captured him on and off over the season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... DCWtGn_oU8

Kind of a Fitting Finale to a long and Enjoyable Run! Image
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Since then I have begun to prepare his skull for a Euro Mount. Although I have taken larger Blacktails, this is indeed the Largest Island Two Point I have accomplished. And he was Well Earned IMHO, worthy of such a mount to remember the year, the Adventure, and the ending of the season for me on The Rock.

He will make a Fine Addition to the collection I started oh so many years ago...

No Regrets with this Harvest. Although he wasn't quite what I was looking for, he is a Fine Buck in my mind's eye, and a Damn Worthy Opponent.

That said, I do believe I am Cursed in some manner. I have now taken several Regression Bucks here on The Rock, all but a year or two after they would have firmly met my Ultimate Quest. One year, perhaps I'll Get It Right...

The Obsession with these Timber Ghosts continues. And so it will be that I WILL find myself Stalking the Forests and Valleys of this Island alongside those of my Buddies suffering from the same Affliction next season...

Going to be a long wait until next fall, but methinks some rather Fine Memories will help tide that over somewhat...

Cheers,
Nog
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Congrats on the dandy buck. Thanks for taking us along on your hunt. Been a few years nice I seen some nice black tails running around the hills of Lake Cowichan, brings back good memories.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on the Island hunt. That first picture is breath taking!! I like the choclate colored antlers. Do you hunt more on the mainland or on the Island?? :D :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the buck!! Another outstanding story!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I love your writing Nog. Congrats on a hard-fought trophy.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer fine Buck
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Congratulations Nog, and it's official.....buddy, YOU'RE INSANE! :shock: I thought I was hard core but I certainly defer to your experience, expertise, and absolute tenacity. Well done pal, I know what that terrain is like with and without the snow and that buck is a beautiful well earned trophy. Once again, thanks for the story. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.