Who else is shooting an old school Excalibur?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Who else is shooting an old school Excalibur?

Post by ninepointer »

With all the latest Excalibur offerings we're seeing, I got to wondering how many of us are still shooting a crossbow that's been relegated to the "Previous Models" section of the catalogue?

My Excalibur Exocet 165 (the first and only Excal I've owned) has been going strong for 20 years now and still zips arrows through both sides of deer. The biggest modification I've made was to replace the perfectly good carved tip limbs with Mag Tip limbs so that I could use a FFF string.

So, who else still has an old school Excalibur in active service?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
TPM

Re: Who else is shooting an old school Excalibur?

Post by TPM »

I guess I'm old school too. I'm still shooting the same Phoenix since 2006. Only crossbow I've ever owned and I have no plans to replace it. As much as I like to new generation of Excaliburs I think the older bows lend themselves better to target shooting. Though I hunt with it every fall in reality it spends a lot more time every year on the 3D courses than treestands. Having said that if I had a dedicated hunting bow it would likely be a Matrix 330.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Yotewacker

Post by Yotewacker »

I enjoyed shooting my Phoenix in the basement last night. After hunting with the 355 matrix this year
it's still fun to shoot the Phoenix.
Team Matrix 355 Member

BEE arrows
also 2013 Excal Phoenix - Firebolts and Boltcutters
I used to own a Horton BoneCollector
I love my Matrix 355. Shootin 150gr Xbow tricks this year
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

I own the same one. They are great...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Still have my first bow a Wolverine . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I sold all 6 of my old school Excals this yr. I jus felt it was time to up-grade. I can say i do enjoy my new models. I am able to rope cock my 355 again now, shot it 15 times last week in an afternoon fer practice.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Hard to believe but I am down to one bow now. The Micro Nightmare. It will be my only bow as of today.. LOL

The wide limb bows worked for us all very well over the years and will continue to be the foundation....

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
kamont

Post by kamont »

Still shooting my Wolverine, have Equinox for backup. No plans to purchase new style.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

My Exomax kind of got its feelings hurt when you called it " Old School" :lol:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....It's amazing how when we take time to learn from others our perspective on things change dramatically!....When I got back into hunting about three years ago after a three year hiatus....my middle son Chris bought me a Barnett Quad 400...

....after a few practice shots I was hooked again...after a couple of deer the deal was sealed...Now I started researching crossbows...was hung up on the narrow width, faster bows...but kept coming across the name Excalibur as a great (best in my book) crossbow....

....my turnoff was the wide wing span that seemed to be as wide as I am tall :shock: :shock: (again was uninformed and now a learned man from this forum!)

...then came the Matrix 380....WOW!...I was hooked!....out of the box shooting bullzeyes at 50yds...how could this be!....This was great!

....Now it's the Micro 335 WOW! I can't wait to really put Mini-Me through his paces....

....With all that said....I have gained a tremendous amount of respect for these older bows from all that I have read here....now I no longer judge a XB by it's wingspan!

....hmmmm, you heard it here first...next year, the Nano Stealth Matrix 380...plug in battery operated winch cocker to cock the 400 draw weight! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Dale

Post by Dale »

Bought a used Exomax in September. Have not had a shot at a dear yet. But this thing is stupid accurate. I split a bolt my first day with it, then a friend of mine split a bolt with it a week later. Lesson. Don't shoot at the same place twice.
Exomax
Easton 2219 bolts
150 grain Bolt cutters
bdog

Post by bdog »

Still shootin my all black vixen I've had forever and my vortex when they first came out.....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
the elf

Post by the elf »

I still have my new to me[ modified by me ] Vixen---my Exocet 200---my new in boxes Y25---
my Matrix 355.------However; for me to get a new Micro at least one of my bows ; either these
or my verticals has to go to get the cash.

How do you get rid of an old friend and companion ?
Tom

Post by Tom »

I am not sure you would call my bow "old school Excalibur". I still hunt with and shoot my first crossbow I had purchased, my Relayer. Not the Relayer Y25, the orginal Relayer I bought dirrectly from Bill & Kath.

Bill has on ocasion reminded me that I did not have to stay with that bow, that I could get another bow LOL. Trouble is, excalibur products are so quality built that a newer model could only equal what I have, not better it. Plus after shooting my bow this many years (currently over 30 years), I know the arrow flight path and no longer need extra time to figure if the arrow will get there.

These newer, narrower bows do have my attention, but my attention is about all it can get as I do not have money for a new bow. GREAT THING THAT THEIR EARLIER BOWS WERE OF SUCH GREAT QUALITY.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
strum

Post by strum »

That's neat to hear that you guys are still shooting those older ,relayers and wolverines :D
I loved my Exomax and felt my Exocet was the most accurate offhand shooter of them all. They balanced well and I could hold on target even better than I could with the 380..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16