Need some Advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jbirdup

Need some Advice

Post by jbirdup »

by jbirdup » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:26 pm

Just got my 1st crossbow last Friday. An Excalibur AxiomSMF. I could use some advice on the best target to get and any other advice for getting the most out of this setup. I plan on using the 20" Firebolts that came in the kit for pracitce bolts with 100 grain practice tips. I'm thinking of ordering the same size firebolts with lumenocks installed already and tipping them with Excaliburs X-ACT mechanical broadheads.......anything else??????????? THANKS for all replies....jbirdjbirdup

E-mail jbirdup
Boo

Re: Need some Advice

Post by Boo »

A Rinehart target would be your best broadhead target. I like the Third Hand Rag Bag for field tips.
You'll definately do better with Black Eagle Executioners and if you are in the US, check out Danny Miller in Ohio 740-483-2312. He'll also be a good source for Flemish strings and other things Excalibur.
Do you have a stringing aid? A level?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
jbirdup

Post by jbirdup »

Thanks Boo, Yeah I'm in the U.S and heard alot about Dan Miller from my partner@ work that turned me on to Excalibur. Will hit him up soon.....jbird
manitou1

Post by manitou1 »

Why a level? Have i been missing something?
Got my first crossbow yesterday... a 380.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

manitou1 wrote:Why a level? Have i been missing something?
Got my first crossbow yesterday... a 380.
It helps you keep your limbs consistently level ( no cant ). It will help your accuracy espesially at any longer ranges. Canting affects windage on the crossbows. Danny has them in stock. :)
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Agree with the rinehardt and my personal preference is a little weight at the from of those arrows. Either a 150 gn broadhead or a 110 or 120 gn brass insert. (I use both) :D
F
bubba

Post by bubba »

First off Welcome to the forum, and your new Excalibur crossbow..I have the Ibex the specs are the same.As for adding acc to your bow The first thing I did was to install the s5 string stops. I feel its a great acc for our bows..And then later on after you have shot your bow a hundred times or more and feel comfortable in the shooting and loading process, move up to a custom Flemish string, from Dan Miller, boo,excaliber dan, or vixenmaster.That will bring your speed up 5-8 feet per, But always remember the Flemish string is less forgiving so get the shooting process down!! As for the arrows. I have shot executioners. Carbon Express maxes, and the stock fire bolts that come with your kit. And honestly out to 40 yards I had very little p.o.i. difference... and the x-act will be fine,,,good luck.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)