Just got a Excal M380... wow, very LOUD!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ds762

Re: Just got a Excal M380... wow, very LOUD!!!

Post by ds762 »

wabi wrote:
Hunt it wrote:The arrow travels faster than the sound.
Better do some research. :wink:
Speed of arrow - 380fps
Speed of sound - 1129fps.

THIS!!
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

wabi wrote:
Hunt it wrote:The arrow travels faster than the sound.
Better do some research. :wink:
Speed of arrow - 380fps
Speed of sound - 1129fps

As for the noise, you'll get used to it as you shoot more. As long as you keep hunting ranges reasonable the deer will hear it, but the arrow will do it's damage before they have time to react to the noise.
Your forgetting for some of us that's hard of hearing from years of shooting - the arrow does get there before we hear it. :mrgreen: you know what I was sayin, if any critter on earth reacts prior to my 380 bolt hitting it I'll let it go. Dang thing is so fast I can't even see the luminock light up.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

woodmnctry wrote:Easy answer is to only shoot at deer that are old - slow and hard of hearing ----- like i am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All kidding aside...by the time the deer hears the sound (unless you are shooting 50 yds or more-IMHO)....it is taking its 'dirt nap" about 30-50yds yonder!

....the sound is more of an issue for us than the deer...just take all of the normal precautions you would if you were shooting with a compound bow...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Patriot*

Post by Patriot* »

woodmnctry wrote:Easy answer is to only shoot at deer that are old - slow and hard of hearing ----- like i am
Hahaha! funny...what did you say?
Genesis 27:3
M/380 xtra Real Tree
Micro 335 Real Tree
Micro 335 Nightmare
Axiom 305 Real Tree
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Welcome to the Forum.

The only things I do to quiet my Excaliburs down is to add a REDS (if it doesn't already have it, use a Flemish string, and shoot arrows that are not at the min. 350gr rating. It ain't to way, never never, ever, not gonna happen, be anywhere near as quiet as a vert recurve or compound bow. :D My vote is still out on all the stirrup stuff. Not sure if it reduces noise or just changes the pitch/frequency.

I bet if you put even just 100 arrows downrange you'll not be worrying about that noise anymore. You'll be too astounded at the bows performance to really care. :mrgreen:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
heli0z

Post by heli0z »

Each baw has its own unique twang, my exomax seemed to have higher pitched buzz that resonated unlike my 355, The 405 i have now is loud for sure but so is a rifle and at reasonable distances you won't have issues with either believe me deer hear and identify a vert as danger too out depends on the individual deer nothing is 100% silent!
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

I also purchased a m380 this year and I was a little surprised as to how loud it was. But as everyone has stated, I have taken 2 deer and my daughter 1 with it this year. All were taken cleanly with out any notable string jump out to 30 yards (Farthest shot so far). Congrats on the purchase and enjoy.
Matrix 380 blackout
18" Zombies/92 gr. brass inserts
100 gr. Slick Trick Mag
18" Spinal Tapp's
170 gr F.O.C's
NChunter/BOO/ VixenMaster strings
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I shoot a fair bit so I don't notice the noise anymore..... until I shoot indoors. Then it catches me off guard and it seems so much noisier.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Has anybody measured the peak decibels reached with their Matrix 355/380/405 etc
manitou1

Post by manitou1 »

Thanks. I am starting to feel better about the noise.
Shot again tonight. Very impressive speed and accuracy. I think i am going to like this! :-)
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

from OUTDOOR LIFE MAGAZINE testing (decibels)
scorpyd vent 165 94.3
scorpyd VTEC 165 96.6
Excalibur Eclipse XT 92
Excalibur 380 98.2
Excalibur 405 100.85
I compare Scorpyds because I don't care how quiet any other wheeled Xbow is I would only consider a Scorpyd worth buying.

keep in mind " a change in power by a factor of two approximately corresponds to a 3 dB change".
so I guess the 405 is very roughly twice as loud as a VTEC 165. But the Scorpyd VTEC 165 is twice as loud as the Excalibur Eclipse.
Of course this is providing I understand this decibel concept correctly and providing Outdoor Life got their numbers right.
still, I don't know what the decibels on my Micro 335 is but I don't notice it at all.
norm
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

I have something you might check. I had an Exocet that was the loudest bow I've ever owned, even more so than a friend's Exocet. We studied my bow and found that where the rail joined the limb assembly, there was a much greater gap on my bow than my friend's, almost enough to place a credit card in the gap. I am not sure but i think that gap caused a "pop" when it shot. I placed some thick tape in that gap and it did quiet the bow substantially. It was still loud, but was about the same as my friend's bow, just something you might want to look at. All my crossbows are loud but I don't think any are as quiet as my 335 nightmare. I agree with the other guys here, I haven't had a single dead deer complain. Cheers
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
greentag

Post by greentag »

ive killed alot of turkeys with a exomax,many times when i shoot one the other turkeys just look up for a minute and either keep on doing what they are doing or come and jump on the one that has been shot,usually the loudest part is when the arrow smacks one of them.if they(the deer or turkey) are not real nervous acting i dont think the noise bothers them,its the ones that are already spooky acting that you might have to watch for,if it is a longer shot...anyhow thats what ive noticed..
2004 Exomax
same ole Varizone
Danny Miller's strings
20" Black Eagle Executioner's with Blazers
100 grain 2" Swackers
(why such wide limbs you ask?.......cause chicks dig em!)
SEW

Post by SEW »

Boo's web site has some very good reading. He tells on there what he did to quieten his M380. Go back thru the thread list on this site and you'll find a # of tips on how to quieten your Matrix. The greatest noise seems to come from the arrow hold down spring hitting the arrow rail. Coating it with a rubber spray and putting mole skin on the underside where it hits the rail helps considerably. Simms silencers on the cocking stirrup, preferably wrapped stirrup, helps quite a bit. I packed the open parts of the stock with very dense packing polypropylene. Boo's string/silencer helped. Of course arrow weight helps. Exactly how I want my arrow yields a wt of 396g, wish it were a little more. 18" Zombie, AL insert, plastic flat nock, helical Blazers, FOC(170g). Still waiting, patiently, for Agingcrossbower's wooden stock. My M380 and M405 are as quiet or quieter than a SZ380, which is fairly quiet for a xbow. People comment on just how quiet my M405 is' and that's shooting 393'/sec!
Yesterday, I remounted my Duralyt 2-8 scope/Optimizer on Hawke med rings(great value!) and shot out to only 70 yds confirming the tape settings.
The groups(6 arrows) were well under 1". All sighting in is with Hart windage adj rest/#13 rear bag. Though the sound was low, with such extreme consistency, it was low on the priority scale.
Excals are dependable, consistent and very accurate. They can be quiet also: with a little work.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

coolhl wrote:from OUTDOOR LIFE MAGAZINE testing (decibels)
scorpyd vent 165 94.3
scorpyd VTEC 165 96.6
Excalibur Eclipse XT 92
Excalibur 380 98.2
Excalibur 405 100.85
I compare Scorpyds because I don't care how quiet any other wheeled Xbow is I would only consider a Scorpyd worth buying.

keep in mind " a change in power by a factor of two approximately corresponds to a 3 dB change".
so I guess the 405 is very roughly twice as loud as a VTEC 165. But the Scorpyd VTEC 165 is twice as loud as the Excalibur Eclipse.
Of course this is providing I understand this decibel concept correctly and providing Outdoor Life got their numbers right.
still, I don't know what the decibels on my Micro 335 is but I don't notice it at all.
norm
You are correct that a 3dB change in power equates to 2times the power. But that does not equate to twice the air pressure which is how our ears pick up sound. A 3dB change in sound intensity (power) is classified as "barley perceptible". Twice as loud is defined as a 10dB change in sound intensity. So from your list above the Excals might seem a little bit louder than the Scorypds to some people but the difference would be small. I believe stereos and TV volume controls etc. are set in 6dB steps so we can perceive that we turned it up or down.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><