Just got a Excal M380... wow, very LOUD!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

manitou1

Just got a Excal M380... wow, very LOUD!!!

Post by manitou1 »

I just received my Excal M380 yesterday after a couple of months of research. My first crossbow. I am not new to archery as i started bowhunting at 11... 42 years ago. The recent years, bowhunting and competing with a recurve bow. Shoulders have been giving me fits (shooting 10,000 + arrows a year probably doesn't help), so i bought this Excal.
I gotta say... this thing is fast! It is also very loud... probably approaching .22 caliber rifle loud. Sounds like hitting a hardball off an aluminum bat, but louder. Whew... i expected loud, but this is really louder than i thought it would be.
I have a stock string, set 1/4" off the stops. Waxed the string and lubed the rail. Only other thing i did to it is mount a Nikon Bolt scope on it.
Any of you folks add cat whiskers to your string? Did it make a difference?
I know Boo's strings with cat whiskers make a difference, but until i get one (8 month waiting period), i thought i would try any suggestions.
Thanks for the help.
xcaliber

Re: Just got a Excal M380... wow, very LOUD!!!

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats on a sweet bow. Deer never complain about the noise. :lol: Trading Post has strings, etc. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Noise n loud naw, it was yer imagination workin overtime! :) I will tell you after a couple hundred deer taken dirt naps from my Excals through the yrs. None have ever told me the noise bothered them. Seems it was the BH n arrow that did them in :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

The arrow travels faster than the sound. What weight arrows are you shooting? If you increase arrow weight you will cut sound down. Everything you attach to string or limbs slows down bow to some degree. Wrap the stirrup with sports grip tape and put rubber gasket material between stirup and riser, this will help as well. I have 2 380's love em.
bikerbob24

Post by bikerbob24 »

There is a big difference in noise after shooting a vertical bow , I put yarn puffs on my strings , helps some. But after taking 5 deer with my Matrix none complained about the noise. :D
Micro 335
Nightmare 335
Matrix 330
Axiom
Vixenmaster Flemish Strings
K-9 handler and trainer , K-9 Baily my partner for 7 years, we are now retired , spending our time hunting & fishing or just enjoying life.
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

I have never shot A 380 but my micro seems awfully quiet to me. I never notice it.
In fact, the impact of the arrow is what I normally hear.
Norm
bubba

Post by bubba »

Like the posts before me have said don't worry about the noise so much. The deer or whatever you shoot at an'it gonna hear a thing.. Boo makes some very good strings.. But so does excaliber Dan, or vixenmaster in the trading post. Both these guys are right up there as far as the best Flemish strings are concerned....Welcome to the forum... and enjoy your new Excalibur crossbow........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hunt it wrote:The arrow travels faster than the sound.
Better do some research. :wink:
Speed of arrow - 380fps
Speed of sound - 1129fps

As for the noise, you'll get used to it as you shoot more. As long as you keep hunting ranges reasonable the deer will hear it, but the arrow will do it's damage before they have time to react to the noise.
wabi
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Hunt it wrote:The arrow travels faster than the sound. What weight arrows are you shooting? If you increase arrow weight you will cut sound down. Everything you attach to string or limbs slows down bow to some degree. Wrap the stirrup with sports grip tape and put rubber gasket material between stirup and riser, this will help as well. I have 2 380's love em.

I think we'll be waiting a few years before Excalibur releases a bow capable of exceeding the speed of sound. A modified Mega 405 with 3 pairs of limbs laminated together might get ya there though if you can't wait :D :wink:

Sound travels at 1125 fps or so...
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum. Some good suggestions already. Heavier arrow,wrapping the stirrup, I use a piece of rubber hose between the stirrup and the rail. The stock endless loop string you've got is going to be louder than most Flemish strings. In the interim, if you're ordering anything from Danny Miller get one of his Flemish strings. If you're waiting for a custom string it's a great alternative. Also, if you haven't already got one, get the stringing aid. :D
.....also, some people have spray foamed the inside of the rail to quieten the bow.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

Easy answer is to only shoot at deer that are old - slow and hard of hearing ----- like i am
manitou1

Post by manitou1 »

Thanks. I will try some of these suggestions. I appreciate the input.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I think most of us go thru the stages of trying to quiet down our 'Burs. Its not needed, usually it takes a bit o time to get used to the noise an xbow makes, especially if your coming from vertical bows.

I say go out and make a joyful noise, that's the sweet sweet sound of success.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
torana9x

Post by torana9x »

Be interesting to see a decibel readout from each of our bows to see what variations we have...

I have a db app on my phone, I'll just sit it next to me when I take a shot next. Be good to get a few different readouts.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I guess it's all relative. My first crossbow was an Exomax, and it definitely is loud. I was pleasantly when I got my Matrix 380 with the "quietness" of it compared to the Exomax. I'm more pleased with the lack of noise out of my Micro.

Over the years, I've killed 30 deer with my Exomax and, this year, 3 with my Matrix 380, and of those, none have shown any sign of noticing the noise.